DLO intros TransDock Direct iPod mount and charger | iLounge News

DLO intros TransDock Direct iPod mount and charger

image

Digital Lifestyle Outfitters has introduced its new TransDock Direct combination vehicle mount and charger for iPod. The TransDock Direct plugs into an automobile’s 12V power outlet, using a flexible arm to position and support the rotating iPod dock and cradle. Features include an auxiliary output and included mini-jack cable for connecting to a vehicle’s aux-in jack, and a detachable 12V power socket to allow connection of other chargers and 12V accessories. The DLO TransDock Direct is available now and sells for $60.

« Our weekly iPodweek summary is coming

AT&T now offering online iPhone pre-screening tool »

Comments

Hmmm. last week there was a solution from ProClip that was looking to run around $150.
The DLO looks to be a viable affordable solution.
Can’t wait for the reviews of the members here.
Scott

Posted by Scott Carroll on October 10, 2008 at 4:50 PM (CDT)

Posted by Aaron Bailey on October 10, 2008 at 6:04 PM (CDT)

Aaron Bailey wrote “Is the Iphone supported by the dock connection or is there and actual “clip” - trying to find out if it works with cases”

This is what I got from DLO concerning the iPhone:
“Dear Sir/Ma’am,

Thank you for contacting DLO online support.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but we currently cannot claim compatibility at this time, DLO products have to be recertified by Apple in order to state compatibility.  We are in the process of this now.

If you have further questions, please call us at 866-892-4764.

Alicia
DLO Technical support”

I am assuming it actually works but are waiting on Apple.

Posted by mk2000 on October 11, 2008 at 4:44 PM (CDT)

I just bought this today. It is great in a lot of ways except for one. The sound quality! On my car stereo it produced very distorted sound. I used to have the flexdoc but it is not compatible with itouch 2G. I thought this was a great solution. It was until I heard the sound. My flexdoc had a high/lo switch and that is missing here. It produces volume that is too powerful for my car stereo. I hope others have better luck.

Posted by kevin on October 12, 2008 at 9:17 PM (CDT)

I want to revise my comments above. It is awesome and does sound great. I don’t think it was the units fault. I have an old cassette player and switched and it sounds better. I also normalized my music and put sound check on which helped. It is a nice unit and works great on the new ipod touch.

Posted by kevin on October 13, 2008 at 9:38 AM (CDT)

Did you say you are using a cassette adapter? I bought this at Best Buy this weekend and only had a chance to test it this morning. I have an ‘05 Toyota Highlander/standard stereo w/ a tape deck and no auxiliary port. Didn’t like the sound quality at all connected to my 32GB Ipod Touch (first gen). The lows were okay but the mid to high’s gave a sort of crackling sound (almost the same sound when you have the treble to high). I’m no audiophile but I’m wondering if I have a faulty TransDock or if it’s the Transdock/stereo combination. I’m using the Philips PH2050W cassette adapter. I wanted to eventually upgrade the stereo but for the mean time I thought this could be a okay solution. I’ll test out the stereo with my SendStation PocketDock Line Out USB connected directly to my Touch and see if I’m getting the same sound. Any one have any other suggestions before I resort to returning the TransDock?

Posted by mike on October 13, 2008 at 10:18 AM (CDT)

What does the gooseneck mount to on the “car” end?

Posted by Richard on October 13, 2008 at 3:34 PM (CDT)

It plugs into the car charger, hence the lack of wires for powering he device. I think it’s great that way, I don’t like wires much.

Of course at $60 I would need to have option to return it if I don’t like it. BestBuy seems to have them online and in-store (in my area) so that’s where I’m heading soon-ish.

Posted by Denis on October 13, 2008 at 10:09 PM (CDT)

so does it work with the iPhone3G????

Posted by dennis on October 14, 2008 at 8:23 PM (CDT)

I received a respond from their customer service telling me that this device will not work with the iPhone 3G. ;-(

Posted by dennis on October 16, 2008 at 12:04 AM (CDT)

Is this an FM transmitter as well?

Posted by Mark on October 20, 2008 at 9:46 PM (CDT)

CNET’s review of it confirms that is “works” with the iPhone 3G but you will get a compatibility warning from the iPhone when you plug it in.  However, the charging and audio functionality are in place.

Posted by mk2000 on October 31, 2008 at 12:25 PM (CDT)