DLO ships updated HomeDock Deluxe | iLounge News

DLO ships updated HomeDock Deluxe

image

Digital Lifestyle Outfitters announced today they are now shipping the second-generation HomeDock Deluxe iPod dock. The HomeDock Deluxe allows users to connect their iPod to any TV and home stereo to view, navigate and play music and videos from the device. First announced early last month, the new HomeDock Deluxe features on-TV navigation of iTunes videos, full color Album Art, new screen savers and visualizers, 12 new color themes, on-TV playlist creation called “My Jukebox,” an upgraded remote control and more. The new HomeDock Deluxe retains its original price of $150.

« Nielsen//NetRatings: iTunes usage doubles in 2006

Hammacher selling wireless, water resistant iPod system »

Comments

Well, I just received my “new” Homedock Deluxe last night from a pre-order placed a couple months ago.  Let me tell you my new Homedock Deluxe does not work as advertised!  I have the previous model which has been working flawlessly with my 5G 60gb iPod since day one. The dock doesn’t have an option for the large floating album art, and when you choose one of the other two album art screen save options the TV screen goes black after 1 minute. It also has intermittent issues of showing the starting track time as 92 minutes and the total track time as “zero”.  I shot an email (since they don’t give a phone #) last night but have not heard from them yet.  I really hope this is just a bad egg and not a sign of bigger problems with their version 2.0.0 software.  Kevin

Posted by Kevin on February 28, 2007 at 12:25 PM (CST)

I wonder if the Apple TV will limit the demand for $150 docks?

Posted by Chrystopher on February 28, 2007 at 1:38 PM (CST)

I received my new homedock deluxe as well and have experienced the same issues as Kevin. Also Kevin the resolution even through the S-Video for the music navigation seems terrible. The solid color backgrounds now seem to have a snowy efect.

Posted by Tim on February 28, 2007 at 3:33 PM (CST)

If I had to chose between a $150 dock and Apple TV, I’d go with the Apple TV.  The interface is slicker than snot, and it supports Hi-Def signals.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on February 28, 2007 at 3:53 PM (CST)

Looks like another disappointing product from DLO…

Posted by melvin on February 28, 2007 at 5:35 PM (CST)

Updates to my initial experience of the new Homedock Deluxe is noted in the Forum (in house use). Cliff note - mine is working as currently designed, though it can be upgraded (unlike previous model) and likely will be at a future date. Kevin

Posted by Foster on February 28, 2007 at 6:08 PM (CST)

First of all, I’m not that lazy to plug my iPod into my TV, I don’t need some $150 dock to ease my suffering. Second of all, does anyone know when they will come out with a product that displays the iPod’s whole interface, so you can navigate through your iPod on your TV? I think that be awesome. I’m in a band and we need to play the song through, this means three of us need to look at my iPod at once because I use the notes to store my lyrics. There’s a tv where we practice.  I would love to be able to just plug it in and see the lyrics on the TV.

Posted by doompod on February 28, 2007 at 11:12 PM (CST)

I have the older Homedock deluxe and even though I am a tad upset about no album art, it works like a charm.

About being lazy and needing an expensive dock - It looks better than your ipod laying there with a cord, it charges the pod, you can surf songs on screen and it sounds much better than the headphone jack.

About lyrics in the notes section - there is a lyric section, dude.  Works like a charm.

Posted by Ben O. on March 1, 2007 at 10:54 AM (CST)

Thanks for notifying me about that Ben O. I still don’t know if I’m willing to pay $150 for it. Maybe $100, but probably not $150.
Even though Apple probably won’t do this, I think they should put something in their next big update that would allow you to connect your iPod to your TV and see the iPod interface with a A/V cable. They could probably do it so that you can it works as long as you have their cable. I wouldn’t like to have to buy their cable because right now, I’m just using an A/V cable that came with my video recorder, I have seen no need to go out and buy their $20 cable. But, if they put in that feature and I have to get the cable,  I would do it in a heartbeat because I don’t care about my iPod laying on a desk or chair. It’s still better to buy the $20 cable than the $150 dock.
Of course it looks really cool and you do get the remote that allows you to wirelessly navigate through your iPod’s music and video collection, but the thing is I don’t like to spend $150 on something that I believe will have a dramatic upgrade to it within a year or two.

Posted by doompod on March 1, 2007 at 3:47 PM (CST)

I’m curious about those that have the old version of HomeDock Deluxe and say it’s working flawlessly.  I bought mine in June 2006, and like may users who have posted on the forum, it was riddled with software bugs.

Perhaps these had been fixed in a version that came after June.

For example,here are some specific issues:

Use Case 1

Select “Artists”  (you will only see the choice “all”, you will not see the artists”
Select “All” [seems to need to be pressed twice] (you will see all songs by al artists)
Use back arrow (you will see all albums by all artists)
Use back arrow (you will FINALLY see all artists)

Use Case 2

Select an Artist (Bob Dylan, for example)
- A partial list of Bob Dylan albums is shown (I have over 20 Bob Dylan albums)
Scroll down in the list, to try to reveal albums not shown
- Suddenly, a list of Bob Dylan’s songs are shown [very annoying]
Use back arrow, and then you see the continuation of the album lists.

It’s nice to hear that the new version is at least upgradeable.  Those of us that are stuck with the error-riddled old models are stuck.

Posted by tdein on March 2, 2007 at 12:34 PM (CST)