Don’t sit on your iPod mini | iLounge News

Don’t sit on your iPod mini

picDana, the mother of a son with a new iPod mini recently informed us that he cracked his minis’ LCD screen after having sat on it while it was in his pants’ back pocket.

“My son just got an iPod mini last week.  Had it in his pocket, sat down and cracked the display.  I took it to the Apple store in Houston. They told me it would cost less to buy a new one ($249)!!!!!

This is going to be happening all the time, because the minis are much thinner and relatively flexible.”

pic
pic

« Apple to make less profits on iPods, but will sell more

Mac: iPod ad icons released »

Comments

keebie,

LOL!

I hardly think that will work in this instance!

Posted by jason on March 16, 2004 at 4:07 PM (CST)

My response was aimed towards daddo and mike.

Posted by keebie on March 16, 2004 at 4:10 PM (CST)

We have got handphones that uses a large screen as well. You don’t see people complaining to manufacturers if they drop or sat on their phone and break the screen.

Mum and kid, bad luck…learn how to take care of your stuff better…

Posted by Marcus on March 16, 2004 at 4:23 PM (CST)

But everyone does it. You can’t even get a TV repaired anymore…

Posted by digitaltrapper on March 16, 2004 at 4:23 PM (CST)

Yeah, my biz partner has a daughter that has crushed his Canon A70, and left her cell phone outside in the snow (it went through the snowblower).
If she had bought this herself, it would be different. I have to pay for stuff, and my iPod doesn’t even have a scratch on it.
SOme people just don’t value anything, and will never learn to either. I bet Mom has already bought a new iPod mini for this kid.

Posted by Carl on March 16, 2004 at 4:28 PM (CST)

“how is it possible that it would cost more to repair it than buy a new one? I never could understand how that is the case with many electronic devices… Obviously the price of a screen is not $249, so it just baffles me… “

Because iPods are made on an assembly line from bulk parts with virtually no labor involved. Repairing an iPod is a hands-on process requiring that a live person be paid, by the hour, to fix it, using individual parts that have to be shipped. It’s often more expensive to fix a mass-produced product than to buy a new one.

Posted by audio geek on March 16, 2004 at 4:56 PM (CST)

man…i can imagine one of the apple employees, i know at the houston apple store laughing his ass off lol.

Posted by lilmoonee on March 16, 2004 at 5:18 PM (CST)

i think this is more a comment on the state of obesity in kids.

Posted by dave on March 16, 2004 at 5:53 PM (CST)

...and also, apperantly, and this is pure speculation, you can’t throw your ipod mini off of a skyscraper into a pot of molten lava without scratching the screen!  What the hell is that about?!?

Posted by captainobvious on March 16, 2004 at 5:56 PM (CST)

POOP WHY DONT YOU LOVE ME?

Posted by Tez on March 16, 2004 at 6:35 PM (CST)

Kids these days….sheesh!

Little brats are given expensive toys by their Soccer Mom mothers, and the little turdlings destroy them within the scope of a week.

It’s saddening that Gen Y kids don’t understand the value of money. I remember my first expensive toy. It was an Atari 2600 I got in 1982. Even after the discount that my Aunt got for working at atari, it took me many months to save up for it with my $2.50 a week allowence. And if I didn’t mow the front and back lawns, take out the trash, do the dishes after every meal and clean up ALL the dog poop, I forfeited my allowence for that week.

If you have ANY respect for your child, you will hand it back to him and say “Sorry. this is yours. You f#@ked it up, now DEAL!”

Posted by 31.Year.Old.Grown.Man on March 16, 2004 at 6:35 PM (CST)

My kid got home from the Wonka factory with an iPod and put it in the blender. IT SCRATCHED!!!

What is Apple thinking? My boy deserves a new one, out of Apple’s pocket, not mine!

Posted by Nagromme on March 16, 2004 at 6:55 PM (CST)

Man have you guys ever received a present from your parents? these post are harsh, go easy on the kid, we all have accidents.

I put my cell phone in my back pocket all the time and accidentally call people, just because having something bulgy like a cell phone or an iPod in your front pocket can be, well, embarrassing

If the kids mom is reading this, sell the iPod on eBay or post something right here, I am sure you will get most your money back.

Posted by ariza on March 16, 2004 at 7:17 PM (CST)

my mom dropped the cellphone i gave her into the toilet and wrecked it. everyone makes mistakes and learns from them. i broke tons of cassette players as a kid from dropping them and stuff.

Posted by keebie on March 16, 2004 at 7:20 PM (CST)

Kids these days….sheesh!

Wow, our generation really does suck. And look who raised us.

Get over your midlife crisis guy. I would hate to be your child!

Posted by Joe S. on March 16, 2004 at 7:22 PM (CST)

c? i told u

if ur the man,

GET AN “IPOD”!!!!!

(kidding.. best wish for ur “mini” ipod)

Posted by Ed on March 16, 2004 at 7:46 PM (CST)

what a crappy product, id be pissed if it broke that easily

Posted by bob on March 16, 2004 at 7:59 PM (CST)

i drop kicked a poodle once that was about the size of an iPod and it didn’t break.  Of course, if you break an iPod, the ASPCA doesn’t come after your a$$ either.

Posted by Zim on March 16, 2004 at 8:24 PM (CST)

Bob, I don’t think that you’re supposed to sit on electronic devices, especially one that small and thin. Apple didn’t design theirs to withstand over 100+ pounds of force. I doubt many other electronic gadgets are designed for that purpose.

Moreover, I don’t really know much about parenting(its tough, I know), but I think that most of the people here have a problem with them expecting Apple to reciprocate for the kid’s (honest) mistake, and not whether or not the kids’ parents should buy him a new one.

Posted by Sraphim on March 16, 2004 at 8:51 PM (CST)

Only get $200 for the hard drive? Those hard drives cost $500!

Posted by techno on March 16, 2004 at 9:06 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›