Don’t sit on your iPod mini | iLounge News

Don’t sit on your iPod mini

picDana, the mother of a son with a new iPod mini recently informed us that he cracked his minis’ LCD screen after having sat on it while it was in his pants’ back pocket.

“My son just got an iPod mini last week.  Had it in his pocket, sat down and cracked the display.  I took it to the Apple store in Houston. They told me it would cost less to buy a new one ($249)!!!!!

This is going to be happening all the time, because the minis are much thinner and relatively flexible.”

pic
pic

« Apple to make less profits on iPods, but will sell more

Mac: iPod ad icons released »

Comments

You know, I dislike spoiled kids just as much as the next person, but this seems to have been an honest accident. Have none of you ever had one of those? The venom in the majority of these posts is simply shocking.

Cut the kid, and the mom, some slack and take the post as informational: iPod mini screens are easily damaged if unduly pressured. Consumer electronics are not cost-effective to repair. End of story.

Posted by gabe on March 18, 2004 at 7:12 AM (PDT)

He deserves it. Whoever is DUMB enough to sit on anything like this deserves whatever ridicule comes their way. Seriously, this is just retarded. “Ooops, I sat on it and cracked it, can I have a new one?”

Posted by You dumbazz on March 18, 2004 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

“easily damaged if unduly pressured”

wow, that definitely deserves the Contradicting Statment of the Year Award…

Posted by Fe on March 18, 2004 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

apple is not responsible for those things, but when i clicked the link it made my computer shut down and restart, messed up link

Posted by ap on March 18, 2004 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

Duhhhh Dumass u shouldna sat on a mini.. its common sense… blamin apple fer a fatass sitn on a small product like dat…its like havin an elephant sit on a mouse and sayin its the mouses fault….

Posted by Alex John on March 18, 2004 at 7:19 PM (PDT)

Poor alibi. They should have been smarter and make up a good alibi. Anyway, that thing is still usefull to some, just extract the microdrive if you got CFII type device such as digital camera or Pocket PCs. Or you can post it on ebay and they will have the spare parts.

Posted by WoW on March 18, 2004 at 10:10 PM (PDT)

wow. kids make mistakes. its not like he drove his mothers brand new sportscar into a ravine.

Posted by esra in PA on March 20, 2004 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

Contrarey to popular belief iPod minis can not support you fat ###. If you wish to test this buy it at bestbuy and buy the $20 warranty which means you can drop it off a building and they will replac eit for free thats what I did.

Posted by Chris on March 26, 2004 at 8:47 PM (PDT)

So, I guess if I say I did a similar stupid thing with my Ipod mini (not sitting on it, but accidentally banging it) and the screen did the same thing, there is no place I can go to get a new LCD screen put in?

HELP!

Posted by Sharon on April 13, 2004 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

my daughter left hers in her coat pocket 1 week after birthday and same thing happened problem is bought in UK at cost of $400 as not in uk yet
cash purchase so cannot get anything back
anyone got a spare

Posted by ian on May 30, 2004 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

You guys are some real ########.  First of all, the LCD screen in the ipod is pretty damn fragie.  Mine was destoryed (blue ink looking crap and little cracks in it) while the exterior plastic was in perfect condition.  I think its COMPLETELY resonable to expect Apple to provide maintnance and repairs at low cost.  What the hell kind of business doesn’t?  You would NEVER find a car company selling cars that could not be repaired except for the equivilant cost of a new car.  Nor do you find computer companies selling computers that they refuse to repair.  I mean, c’mon, the poor kid did it on accident, it was in his pocket, its not like he was thinking about it.  Its reasonable to expect a product to hold up to that.  I’ve beat the hell out of many walkman and diskmans that cost 1/10th the price of my ipod and they kept on kicking.

Posted by EnriqoSuavez on September 18, 2004 at 6:05 PM (PDT)

Hey mi ipod mini is screwed right now because the wheel button thingy kind of cracked and only the fast forward or skip forward button wordks and so does the middle one… i can still access the finger touch button by sliding my finger btu i cant press menu or play/pause or rewind.. anybody know how i can fix it?? tell me please or email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  the wheel is leaning to the left and i can’t access most of my ipod! i can still play it somehow by pressing that little circle in the middle and if i pres it hard enough it will play but when it plays it reads it as holding on to play and suddenly in 3 seconds it turns off until i turn it on agen! if anyone can help please tell me! thanks! please reply… i know im stupid…i had a case on it (silicone) and i accidetnally droped it 1 foot from the air onto a rock staircase… please help .thanks again

Posted by charles on August 2, 2005 at 3:16 PM (PDT)

iPod nanos crack way more than iPod minis
iPods minis are better

Posted by Remmy on April 12, 2006 at 7:00 AM (PDT)

I Accidentally destroyed my iPod nano 2GEN Like this iPod mini with the cracked screen

Posted by Miguel Reyes on April 5, 2009 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

Page 5 of 5 pages « First  <  3 4 5