Dot.Tunes offers iTunes library streaming to iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

Dot.Tunes offers iTunes library streaming to iPhone, iPod touch

image

Dot.Tunes, a media library streaming application for Mac OS X and Windows, has announced plug-ins for the iPhone and iPod touch. These plug-ins allow Dot.Tunes users to access and stream media from their iTunes libraries to their iPhone or iPod touch over the internet, through a customized interface. Dot.Tunes version 4 is a free download; the iPhone and iPod touch plug-ins sell for $20 each. Also, for a limited time, Dot.Tunes is offering a 25% discount to iLounge visitors. For a demonstration of the software, visit dottunes.net.

« Firmware hack brings new interface to iPod 5G

Mix: Handbrake, Weather Channel, iSkin, PodWare »

Comments

Nice, but I’d be more happy if someone got around to making the iPhone/touch a remote control for iTunes via WLAN. I might actually buy a touch then. It’s somewhat bizarre that Apple has not included that functionality in the first place.

Posted by Bad Beaver on October 13, 2007 at 11:42 AM (CDT)

Hi Bad Beaver,

Jeff here from DOT.TUNES.

I just wanted to let you know that DOT.TUNES can do exactly that. You can sit on your sofa with your iPhone or iPod Touch, click a track and it can play via your iTunes application. We call this ‘Local Mode’ - where the track plays on the local computer. Or ‘Remote Mode’ where the track is sent to the remote device.

Enjoy :-)

Jeff

Posted by Jeff on October 13, 2007 at 11:54 AM (CDT)

I’m gonna have to agree with Bad Beaver on this one.  With streaming of your iTunes library, you would have an Apple TV in your hands!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on October 13, 2007 at 11:54 AM (CDT)

I just wanted to put my two-cents in here.  I got the iPhone plug-in and its really great being able to get all my music and videos right on my phone.  The coolest thing is being able to stream an entire movie on the iPhone.  It worked best with a wifi connection, but streaming music is still pretty cool over Edge.

I’m gonna give this whole ‘remote control’ thing a try.  I’ve used Telekenesis before, and its really a hassle.  But if Dottunes can let me rock my iPhone like a remote control too, its the best $15 bucks I’ve ever spent.

Posted by Nigerian Massive on October 13, 2007 at 2:07 PM (CDT)

Jeff, that is *nice* to read. Does it also allow the user to change the output of the host iTunes from the iPhone/touch? Quite a few people have more than one AirPort Express unit, and not having to walk up to the host computer / loosing the need for a permanent display on the host computer would be most beneficial.

Posted by Bad Beaver on October 13, 2007 at 2:20 PM (CDT)

Wow. this is actually sounds fantastic.

Posted by JerusalemFunkFactory on October 13, 2007 at 3:19 PM (CDT)

Wouldn’t this service be considered illegal?  I want to store my music for my personal backup, but sharing albums is illegal.  Could I be sued for using this?

Posted by oink oink on October 13, 2007 at 6:34 PM (CDT)

I can’t seem to get the external link to work, only the internal one. Is anyone having luck with this?

Posted by skruggie on October 13, 2007 at 11:35 PM (CDT)

Oink Oink, keep in mind that unlike other P2P services DOT.TUNES contains numerous security settings to allow you to password protect your tracks so that only you can access them.

skruggle, you may need to configure your router to allow external connections - please email em at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and I’d be happy to assist.

Thanks

Jeff
DOT.TUNES

Posted by Jeff on October 14, 2007 at 12:10 AM (CDT)

This is a great product idea. However the iphone implementation is a bit buggy (the play button won’t always appear. Also, there is no “play all” feature, meaning every track must be selected individually. This is a huge drawback.

Posted by gforeman on October 15, 2007 at 1:23 AM (CDT)

Jeff,
  Do you need to leave your MAC running or can it wake from sleep mode and send tunes?
  I would like to send tunes from my Western Digital worldbook NAS drive rather than my computer, it acts as a server. Are you considering an application to do this?

Posted by gear on October 15, 2007 at 6:02 AM (CDT)

Jeff,

I have an external hard drive connected to my Airport Extreme. So my music is networked. Can I set this up with Dot Tunes or do I have to have my music on a Mac at home?
Looks like a cool product. Thanks

Posted by Robert on October 15, 2007 at 8:51 AM (CDT)

Hi all,

We are working hard on a Play all feature - it is very important to us to nail it. However Apple is blocking at every turn. We can stream multiple tracks via Flash, m3u, ajax, radio style streams but none of these are available in the iPhone or Touch - yet.

Yes, you do need to leave your Mac running.

The Airport Extreme should be fine - I had a customer the other day telling me that they had configured that way although I have not tried it myself. You can certainly try it with the free version.

Cheers

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Ayling on October 16, 2007 at 9:46 AM (CDT)

Hello,
I’m hoping someone can help me.
I have dot.tunes and the itouch plug in purchased. When I’m on my mac I click the “local” address and I’m able to log into my dot.tunes server just fine. However, I cannot access the local server from my dell laptop and my husband’s G5, we are all connected to the same router. I purchased a program for the dell laptop called PFConfig to help me forward the dot.tunes application to the router. I’m confused as to why I cannot connect locally from the dell/G5, I also cannot connect externally either. Is there a setting on my mac that I need to change? Please help.

Posted by shellzee on October 30, 2007 at 1:42 PM (CDT)

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo that I’ve setup it up with a Itunes Streaming Server. Does dot.tunes work with an Itunes Streaming Servers?

Posted by Jim on November 6, 2008 at 11:23 AM (CST)