Download a free song from iTunes | iLounge News

Download a free song from iTunes

“To celebrate the first anniversary—and third generation—of the iTunes Music Store, we’re giving away one song every day from Wednesday, April 28, until Tuesday, May 4. These are songs you’ll want to add to your music library: Avril Lavigne’s “Take Me Away,” Courtney Love singing “Hold Onto Me,” and “Price I Pay” by Jane’s Addiction. Be sure to come back every day and collect them all.

There’s more. Beginning on May 4, we’ll be giving away a free song from an up-and-coming artist every week. Enjoy.”

« Shure E3 for $139.99

More tips on iTunes 4.5 »

Comments

COOL AS HELL!!!!

Edit by Jeremy Horwitz, March 2005: iPodlounge has deleted a collection of negative and derogatory comments from “audiogeek” on our site, which we discovered have been posted by a writer for competing publications. As he has trolled and posted obnoxious comments in a number of threads, picking fights with our readers and editors, he has been banned from the site, and we strongly oppose his repeated mischaracterizations of various products and our editorial opinions. This comments thread was affected by his posts, and has therefore been modestly edited. If any of the other comments below do not make sense in the context of these deletions, we apologize.

Posted by Pigpen65 on April 29, 2004 at 7:06 AM (PDT)

WOW!!!! One whole song per day!!!!!

...In other news, I downloaded 500 songs from Soulseek yesterday…and they were songs I actually wanted to listen to!!!

Posted by jennifer on April 29, 2004 at 7:24 AM (PDT)

“In other news, I downloaded 500 songs from Soulseek yesterday…and they were songs I actually wanted to listen to!!!”

Yeah and you broke the law 500 times to do it.

Posted by BigJerk on April 29, 2004 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

for US and Canada only I presume?

Posted by DC on April 29, 2004 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

Great Idea but how about Europe? This is madness. The ipod is the biggest growing format for listening to music on yet we can not buy music on line. Then people moan when we use Kazaa. SO GIVE US SOMEWHERE TO BUY IT LEGALLY???

Posted by Simon on April 29, 2004 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

“Yeah and you broke the law 500 times to do it.”

Which law exactly are you referring to?

FYI, downloading is not a crime. Uploading can be prosecuted for copyright infringement, still not a crime.

Posted by Laws on April 29, 2004 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

“Great Idea but how about Europe?”

Let’s see:

Euro music download company OD2 clocked over a million downloads last quarter. I guess you weren’t one of them.

Russian all-you-can-eat download site AllOfMP3.com seems to be thriving.

Do Europeans just like complaining a lot?

Posted by Euro Downlaods on April 29, 2004 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

FYI, there’s a little medicine that goes along with this sugar - after you agree to the new terms in the store so you can get your freebie song, PlayFair 0.5 no longer works. I’d assumed you’d have to upgrade to 4.5 for this but apparently there’s some way for them to update just that portion.

Posted by Don Whiteside on April 29, 2004 at 9:44 AM (PDT)

“Doesn’t mean you’re not a thief.”

Property is theft.

Posted by theef on April 29, 2004 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

wow, a free song from avril lavigne, thanks but no thanks!

Posted by jr on April 29, 2004 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

downloading music isn’t theft, it’s copyright infringment, don’t call me a theif, im an “infringer” ..

Posted by jr on April 29, 2004 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

This story came a little late.  Yesterday they featured Foo Fighter’s “My Hero”, a really great song.

As for you downloading knuckeheads, illegally downloading songs isn’t cool, nor is it something to be proud of.  That’s like pushing and old lady into the street at rush hour to get the traffic to stop, then saying “Hey, I’m cool, I didn’t have to wait for the signal.”

Posted by duke on April 29, 2004 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

“egally downloading songs isn’t cool, nor is it something to be proud of.”

Speak for yourself. In five years of downloading I have acquired over 100,000 songs. Yes, that number is legit.

Of course, most of the music wouldn’t even be available because much of it is obscure 1960s and 1970s studio takes and bootlegs.

So you go on paying your iTunes fee and your iPod listening fee, and I’ll go on enjoying musical nirvana.

Posted by Mr Knucklehead on April 29, 2004 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

Use words all you like. Murder is not theft either, technically. It’s still wrong. Downloading someone else’s creative work and not paying them is wrong and against the law. If you like the music enough to listen, pay or don’t listen.

Or are you boycotting the artists “for their own good”? That line has always amused me.

People are selfish, and look to justify that. They can’t. They are doing wrong.

Posted by Nagromme on April 29, 2004 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

“To get that music from iTunes I would have to mortgage my house and kick the kids out of college. “

How about living with-in a bidget and only buying what you can afford? How about making a choice as to what you buy and realizing you can’t have it all. I can’t afford to own an xbox,gamecube and ps2..I suppose I could just steal them..after all, If I PAID for them i’d have to not eat for 2 months.  Same logic,either way it’s wrong.

Posted by youranidiot on April 29, 2004 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

‘are you boycotting the artists “for their own good”?’

Personally, I’ve been boycotting the RIAA major label artists for years because they suck.

Posted by Boycott on April 29, 2004 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

“Murder is not theft either, technically.”

Actually, within Saxon-derived law (UK, US) and to a lesser extent within Roman-derived law (everyone else), murder is actionable by surviving relatives as a civil not a criminal case for recompense because the murderer is presumed to have taken by theft the life of a kinsman, and this theft can be remedied through monetary payment. Ask OJ Simpson sometime about this concept.

Posted by English Common Law on April 29, 2004 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

apple couldn’t pay me to dl’d a song from avril lavigne.

Posted by Travis on April 29, 2004 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

The way i view it music is less property and more expression and art. i can speak for many when i say downloading has brought me into the world of music and made me buy cd’s i never would have before.

Posted by yeah on April 29, 2004 at 12:43 PM (PDT)

wow such hostility!!!!  i really dont see how you can compare copying a 5mb file from a friend to killing another human….it just doesnt work that way…granted music copyright infringment is not looked upon with glamor in our society but ya know what…its sorta like going in the clearance isle at the supermarket and stealing a loaf of bread covered in green spots….yea it is music but the quality….ehhhh…

go on stealing and go on haitng the thefts…(not to say what i do) but ill be enjoying my music while i hear you all moan!!!

peace

Posted by rivlinm on April 29, 2004 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >