Download a free song from iTunes | iLounge News

Download a free song from iTunes

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, April 29, 2004
News Categories: iTunes

“To celebrate the first anniversary—and third generation—of the iTunes Music Store, we’re giving away one song every day from Wednesday, April 28, until Tuesday, May 4. These are songs you’ll want to add to your music library: Avril Lavigne’s “Take Me Away,” Courtney Love singing “Hold Onto Me,” and “Price I Pay” by Jane’s Addiction. Be sure to come back every day and collect them all.

There’s more. Beginning on May 4, we’ll be giving away a free song from an up-and-coming artist every week. Enjoy.”

« Shure E3 for $139.99

More tips on iTunes 4.5 »

Comments

First “Foo Fighters” and now Avril?  Man..

How man times can there be an argument over who is right?  To each his own.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on April 29, 2004 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

avril levine is a wate of hard drive space, who in the world would ever,..................ever….........i shudder to think.

Posted by g-dizzle on April 29, 2004 at 3:07 PM (PDT)

How about making a choice as to what you buy and realizing you can’t have it all
————————————————————-

Seems like someone made a choice to get all the music in the world and he does seem to have it all. At the same time you have no Xbox or PS2. Who’s the idiot now?

Stealing an Xbos or PS2 from a store is theft because you have taken possession of physical property that does not belong to you following a contract of sale. The vendor has received no remuneration in exchange for the goods.

Copying bits on your hard drive and converting them into a specific magnetic alignment is very different. The original physical property (be in CD, vinyl, tape) remains intact and in the possession of the legal owner.

Posted by No... YOU'RE AN IDIOT on April 29, 2004 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

Let’s see… boots up Calculator.exe

100K songs.

That’s around 700GB by my calculations.

Allofmp3.com charges 1 cent per MB of download.

That’s around $7000 total to download 700GB of music.

Optimistically, let’s say you can download 1.5 GB per day. It’ll take around 16 months.

So for $7000 and 16 months you can have “all the music in the world”. Seems pretty cheap to me. Sure beats iTMS!

Posted by buy in bulk on April 29, 2004 at 3:51 PM (PDT)

Buy In Bulk: 1.5GB a day only?

If you have a constant 200kB stream of data, you can transfer 10GB atleast.

I’ll download music even when its 101% “illegal”, no law is going to stop me.

Posted by Stasyna on April 29, 2004 at 4:50 PM (PDT)

Umm, to the peeps that don’t like the free songs, here’s an idear: don’t download them.  Steve Jobs doesn’t have a gun to your head.  Go ahead and buy, download, or create the music you like.

Posted by altcountryman on April 29, 2004 at 5:05 PM (PDT)

“you can transfer 10GB atleast.”

I wish I could get 10GB/day! I think my ISP might complain if I was to do 300GB/month of downloads. What’s your ISP?

Posted by Hogging on April 29, 2004 at 6:01 PM (PDT)

Not in Canada! Avril is Canadian too!!( my apologies…)

You still need an iTMS account to download anything, even the freebies.

Apple is paving the way forward, while the music industry, with its swarms of lawyers are thrashing uselessly in a tarpit of their own making….

We were supposed to get iTMS in Canada in 2003. Thanks music industry! Thanks lawyers! Maybe 2008?
Hmmm?

Posted by too many lawyers on April 29, 2004 at 6:05 PM (PDT)

[As for you downloading knuckeheads, illegally downloading songs isn’t cool, nor is it something to be proud of. That’s like pushing and old lady into the street at rush hour to get the traffic to stop, then saying “Hey, I’m cool, I didn’t have to wait for the signal.”]

HAHAA, that’s gotta be the worst comparison I’ve ever heard.. loser.

-Kazza lite master +1000

Posted by Big Qwem on April 29, 2004 at 7:19 PM (PDT)

no way!  You’re tellin me that I can get a free mp3 off the internet???  THANKS GUYS!!!

Posted by dave on April 29, 2004 at 7:37 PM (PDT)

dude, your still getting music off KaZzA?? lame!

-slsk masta

Posted by jr on April 30, 2004 at 1:27 AM (PDT)

Whether you like her muzic or not, dude, Avril Lavigne is a hottie!  A total hottie!

Posted by luvsdahotties on April 30, 2004 at 3:00 AM (PDT)

dude your right, i think im gonna delete all of my kazaa music and rebuy it all in the itunes store…maybe if they had the stuff i had (NOT) anyway, what works is if i dont like the quality or dont seem to get it on kazaa i buy it on iTunes

Posted by jot rimble on April 30, 2004 at 5:39 AM (PDT)

Is there a law for listening to something?

if i listened to something on something i didnt own would that be an infringement?

-good so i now dont own my hard drive its john does.

Posted by NYC_nigel on April 30, 2004 at 7:11 AM (PDT)

jesus h bold headed christ! if you want music and you can get it for free why the hell would you be stupid enuf to pay for it?!!  who honestly gives two shits about it being illegal or not? why the hell should i pay for something i can get for free?
for the last time who cares! the onley way to get rare and unreleased tracks from GOOD bands is from places like imesh and kazza and guess what? they dont rip you off for it either! so shut ya yap #######.

Posted by darth sy on May 1, 2004 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

hahahah you took the words right out of my mouth darth. As I have said in previous comment postings here…
I download music from file sharing networks and I don’t care. I realise it is considered against the law and I am accountable for all my actions. If I get caught, then so be it. Until then, I’ll keep on downloading :D If iTMS ever makes it down here, I’ll sign up. At the moment there is no legal service for downloading music in my country.

Posted by dottz on May 2, 2004 at 10:19 AM (PDT)

I used to download music all the time. But then I realized how disrespectful it is to the artists. I understand that in some places it is very difficult to download music legally, but as far as I know, a nifty little thing called a compact disc is still around.

Posted by JA on May 3, 2004 at 2:11 PM (PDT)

” Downloading someone else’s creative work and not paying them is wrong and against the law. “

If that was true, how come legal sites like DMusic and MP#.com (well, they were untill they were bought out) were allowing them to download songs for free without being shut down? Because they were legal.

Folks, thongs don’t have to always be paid for to be legal, indie music artists that give away digital copies of their music are one example.

Jeez, next it will be copyrighting 0s, and 1s.

Posted by Travel on May 5, 2004 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

Doesnt work on the UK store :(

Posted by James on June 29, 2007 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2