Download Now: The Free iPod Book and Back to School Guide | iLounge News

Download Now: The Free iPod Book and Back to School Guide

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Sunday, August 14, 2005
News Categories: Site News

It’s here: The Free iPod Book & Back to School Guide, by iLounge.com. Covering all things iPod and iTunes, our first book includes exclusive sneak peeks at new iPod accessories from JBL, Belkin, Griffin, Oregon Scientific, Blumac and Sumo Cases, plus tutorials, contests, and more. Click on read more for the details and the download links. Two versions - printable and widescreen - are available; please download only one. We hope you enjoy!

image

pic
Single page version, best for printing

pic
Book-style layout, with double page spread

12MB | Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or later.

We’re proud to announce the immediate availability of The Free iPod Book & Back to School Guide, by iLounge.com, a 140-page Back to School book full of tutorials, accessory previews and reviews, contests, and more. The main contents are:
  • Sneak Peeks and Reviews: See seven new iPod accessories debuted exclusively in the Book, including Oregon Scientific’s iBall, JBL’s On Stage II, Blumac’s Cerulean, Belkin’s TuneFM, Sumo Cases’ PlayThru Cases, plus Griffin Technology’s iRave and iTalk 2. Get quick reviews of the best iPod products released since our last Guide, as well as a ratings table for the 500 total iPods and accessories we have reviewed. 10+1 Steps to iPod Bliss
  • The 10+1 Step Guide to iPod Bliss: Your iPod, from cradle to grave and rebirth. No stone is left unturned in this colorful, easy-to-read guide to the life of an iPod.
  • CD Rippers, Reviewed: A detailed comparison of six different CD ripping services, each offering to convert their customers’ huge CD libraries into iPod-ready MP3 files. Who had the fastest turnaround? The best included services? The smartest promotions? The answers are inside.
  • Load Your iPod: A complete look at all of the different types of content you can load on your iPod - and how to get them - including music, podcasts, radio, photos, art, travel goodies, books, calendars, contacts, games and data.
  • Selling Your iPod: The value of new and used iPods, including elaborate pricing tables with recent Amazon.com, eBay, and used iPod retailer and parts store purchasing prices.
  • Changing and Maintaining Your iPod: A look at top customization and repair services for the iPod, as well as do-it-yourself options for keeping your iPod looking and running like brand-new.
  • Replacing Your iPod: A guide to picking the right iPod for you, with updated information on today’s iPod models.
  • Join the Community: Snapshots of 10 international iPod sites providing foreign-language iPod news to readers all over the world. 101 iTunes Tips
  • 101 iTunes Tips: The iTunes book, remixed. This special section provides over 100 tips to help you learn the best features of iTunes without boring yourself to tears. Take one tip at a time or read a bunch - no matter how you read, you’ll learn great ways to make iTunes sing.
  • The Search for iPod Trivia Contest: Now closed; winners here. Take this chance to win one of three Klipsch iFi speaker systems (retail value: $399.99 each) by hunting for answers to our iPod trivia questions.
  • The iPod Directory: If you’re looking for an iPod accessory or service provider, this new directory of web, e-mail and telephone contacts will help you find whatever you’re looking for.

As the name suggests, The Free iPod Book is a totally free download. We’ve designed two versions - one for viewing on your computer, and one for printing. Please download only one version so that others can get their copies. Please Tell A Friend or three about the new Free iPod Book. And please do your part to share the Guide on your file-sharing network of choice, with friends through e-mail, or though a mirror link (post in comments below) - that’s all we ask.

« BusinessWeek: Apple not likely to offer subscription service

iPod Directory Summary »

Comments

ahh I have been going to this site for about a year now and you guys always out do ur selfs there are few sites out there like this you go hand in hand with a ipod. you have lasted longer then my recent girlfriend thx a mill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Eric Summerville on August 19, 2005 at 12:46 AM (PDT)

From my experiences, the 66% speed advantage that FireWire 400 has over USB 2.0 stated here and in the guide is something of an oversimplication, particularly beyond the Mac world. Actual performance is highly dependant upon the platform used to do the transfer, and in the Wintel world, the very much computer/CPU itself. USB 2.0 generally does well with computers with ample processing power made available for use during transfer. With my experiences, I’ve found speeds between the two quite comparable on my Wintel boxes and the lone laptop we have that has IEEE1394. Yet on the Mac, FireWire absolutely dominates USB 2.0; I admit the natural skeptic in me didn’t find myself surprised, considering Apple’s role in developing FireWire.

For instance, data transfer speeds between FireWire and USB2 on my Athlon FX-55 box (both natively supported on the mobo) have shown a slight advantage to FireWire, while on my ancient P3-based Dell, where both IEEE1394 and USB2.0 are supported through accessory PCI cards, USB2.0 has been timed to have a consistently, if only marginally, quicker transfer rate (but it’s sorely more glitch-prone; USB2.0 devices don’t always connect to the Dell using the faster standard, requiring at least one disconnect/reconnect to achieve). Both are XP boxes (the A64 XP Pro, the Dell XP Home); neither really showed significant differences in transfer rate as to justify using speed as a barometer for choosing one over the other.

Personally, if given a choice and the use patterns of our computers, I prefer FireWire 400 over USB 2.0., but that also takes into account connectivity issues not directly related to transfer rate. I do most of our iPod management on the Dell desktop, so the lackluster USB 2.0 connection issues really sours that experience. But if I were to use my FX-55 more for music and other media content (it’s the gamer box and, more importantly, my CAD/3D modeling workstation), I suspect that I might not have much of a preference one way or the other.

Posted by flatline response on August 19, 2005 at 5:04 AM (PDT)

Thanks to all for your comments… very much appreciated.

Flatline: I’ll readily concede that it’s a strong simplification; whether it’s oversimplification or not I’ll leave for others to debate. In the PC world, there are regrettably no less than 6 different things that can affect performance of connected devices - drivers, motherboard/BIOS issues, Windows, number of connected devices, the USB/FW accessory card (if any) you pick, and the end software that utilizes the connection. I’ve lived through FW cards that aren’t true FW cards (thanks, Creative), driver problems, motherboard problems, etc.

There’s no way to create a single “everyone will have this experience” number, but the 66% numbers are what we’ve seen here in our testing. If anything, the oversimplification is the statement that USB 2.0 delivers 480mbps, which it clearly doesn’t under the best of circumstances. grin

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 19, 2005 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

Great Job: I mirrored it at http://www.okami-no-weblog.com/quicklink.asp?id=11 (printable version)

Posted by Okami on August 20, 2005 at 5:06 AM (PDT)

GOOD JOB!! I read the guides every year smile

Posted by fondoo on August 21, 2005 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

Great job you guys! I’ve been reading it since yesterday and I’m loving it since page 1.

Maybe you guys could consider having multilingual versions (french, germam, portuguese, spanish) of the 101 iPod tricks. That would be very neat!

—julie, brazilian iPod community editor

Posted by julie on August 21, 2005 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

Great job guys! This guide is awesome.

Posted by Hadley Stern on August 21, 2005 at 6:59 PM (PDT)

This guide rox, you guys rock, keep up the good work!

Posted by slowcountry on August 22, 2005 at 4:38 AM (PDT)

how can I read this on my ipod?

Posted by ganza on August 23, 2005 at 5:53 AM (PDT)

This is my server at home it should be fast enough..

Posted by Dhruv on August 23, 2005 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

For the competition, how do they know how many time someone has downloaded the book?

Posted by ?GUY?BOB? on August 23, 2005 at 11:49 PM (PDT)

Hi all,
Got a new iPod Special u2 edition for my birthday (thanks mum, you know me soooo well…. wink)
Looking now for the original “Incase Red-Black Leather protection sleeve” but cannot order via apple.com. Anyone here who can help me out with this one…..... Want it soooooo badly .

Thanks

Posted by Serge on August 24, 2005 at 7:33 AM (PDT)

Okay, what am I’m doing wrong. I tried printing out a few pages and the quality is very poor. Is there a way to get a better printing? It’s not my printer.

Posted by Bakari on August 28, 2005 at 7:15 PM (PDT)

Hey
    Greetings from Pittsburg Kansas U.S.A
  You all really did a good job on the print outthe quality was very usefull and helped me a-lot oh and to all of you out there who think kansas is a giant farm it isn’t we really have nice cities

Posted by Jeffrey on August 30, 2005 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

Greetings from Pittsburg Kansas U.S.A,
    We love it up here the ipod becomes almost the only thing we do the print out rocked ilove this i’m from the great city of Lawrence we all love u here!

Posted by keanu on August 30, 2005 at 2:55 PM (PDT)

Hi! Loving the podcasts, keep up the good work. Just downloading the book. smile

The site is great!

Elliot from Preston, United Kingdom!

Posted by Elliot on August 31, 2005 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

Quick comment: nice work; However, there are links in the print version that I would like to either click, or copy into my browser, and I can’t do either—they aren’t hot, and the file’s copy protection doesn’t allow copying text out of it. Argh…

Posted by Michael on August 31, 2005 at 3:52 PM (PDT)

am i the only one who cant read it?!?!, cant open it with ms word, just excel, i was really lookin forward to this. :-(

Posted by scarby on September 2, 2005 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

I have a 30 GB iPod w/click wheel.  I use my iPod when I jog.  Lately while I am jogging my music will stop playing and the iPod will lock up.  I can not get it to shut off or change any of the settings or selections or anything.  I remove the ear phones and nothing happens.  I try toggling the lock bar and nothing.  I try to put it on charge and nothing.  I let it sit for a few hours and the ipod has shut down.  What is the problem?  I have tried everything I know of to get the iPod to unlock or to start playing again but no luck.  Help.

Posted by Wayne Van Every on September 2, 2005 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

Great work as usual.  I had a problem downloading directly from the streamload link.  I have set up a mirror here :

Posted by Azizi Jennis on September 3, 2005 at 12:00 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >