Dr. Mac: BuyMusic isn’t .com-parable to Mac’s iTunes | iLounge News

Dr. Mac: BuyMusic isn’t .com-parable to Mac’s iTunes

“BuyMusic.com’s big marketing push is songs for 79 cents. But it’s a bogus claim. For example, only one song in its Top 100 Downloads section cost 79 cents; all the others had prices from 99 cents to $1.29. [...]

Here’s another example: BuyMusic.com sets strict limits on what you can do with the songs you buy. Most are bound to a single PC, so you’re only allowed to listen on one computer, while every song you buy at iTMS can be played on up to three Macs. [...]

I can’t recommend BuyMusic.com to anyone on any platform. Mac users should avoid it. And Windows users will be better off waiting for iTunes for Windows, available later this year.”

« “BuyMusic.com blocks Mac access”

Griffin Announces iTrip Station Finder Software »

Comments

Wow, Dr. Mac’s superbly unbiased opinion. Makes you wonder what he is pulling from Apple…

Anyway, I tend to agree with him on buymusic.com, but I would also extend it to iTMS. emusic’s business model seems to be better, although their selection is more limited.

Posted by pbox on July 25, 2003 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

buymusic has a crap selection, IT COULDNT EVEN FIND ALANIS MORISSETTE FOR GODS SAKE!!!!! SHE’S A 45 MILLION ALBUM SELLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, whereas alanis morissette appears in the apple ads and has all her albums in the iChoons music store

Posted by ti on July 25, 2003 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

So sad.  MAC users always need to assert themselves.  It is an inferiority complex really.  PC users never even talk about MACs.  I use both Macs (design) and PCs.  It is sad to see MAC supporters and MAC publications always bashing anything PC related to feel better about themselves.

In the PC world Macs dont even exist and people don’t talk about it.  You know where the critics are coming from.

Posted by E39 on July 25, 2003 at 9:49 AM (PDT)

Jesus Christ E39, you WISH you could be as happy as us MAC users.  My first computer was a Macintosh Performa and it was always easier to understand and using.  Since then, I have gone thru a couple PCs, an iBook and now I have an eMac.  Let me tell you, the eMac is awesome and has the same stuff as an iMac except that it’s not as fancy.  But getting to your premature comment there, out of all the computers I’ve ever had, the Mac has always performed better and does NOT crash like PCs usually do.  C’mon man, even the whole Windows interface was stolen from the Mac when they came out with Windows 95 with the only difference being that Gates put the icons on the left instead of the right. Look at us now, MacOs X kicks ###, we have the best MP3 player in the world, all plug and play devices are already recognized when hooked up, please man I shouldn’t even keep going.  Do us a favor and stick to your boring PC while we get the best in entertainment and most important, QUALITY!  MAC users STAND UP!!

Posted by PrimalTheory on July 25, 2003 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

PrimalTheory,

You just proved my point!  My 1st computers were Macs as well.  You are barking at the wrong tree my friend.  I use both platforms now.

But look at your comments:

“you WISH you could be as happy as us MAC users” :  I am also a MAC user.  but if I wasn’t then that comment is pretty biased.

“the Mac has always performed better and does NOT crash like PCs usually do”:  It is true that PCs used to crash quite a lot.  But Windows XP is extremely stable and never crashes on me.  However, my iMAC does crash once in a while.  At least much more often than my PC.  Doesn’t bother me too much but it goes to show you.

“C’mon man, even the whole Windows interface was stolen from the Mac when they came out with Windows 95 with the only difference being that Gates put the icons on the left instead of the right” : Sure, if you say so.  No complaints here personally.  You should be proud.

“Look at us now, MacOs X kicks a**, we have the best MP3 player in the world, all plug and play devices are already recognized when hooked up, please man I shouldn’t even keep going. Do us a favor and stick to your boring PC while we get the best in entertainment and most important, QUALITY! MAC users STAND UP!!”

And you have really hit the nail on the head with this comment.  It shows how biased you are and it is a very ignorant comment as well.  I am sick and tired of fellow MAC users saying everything they have is the best in the world.  Gives the rest of us a bad name.  You do not even support your comments which leads me to believe that you are clueless about hardware in general.

Again, I am also a MAC user like yourself.  All this attitude is based on an inferiority complex again.

Posted by E39 on July 25, 2003 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

WinAMP is 100% better than iTunes.

My mouse has 5(!!!) buttons, all usable.

My hardware costs me half of yours for same performance.

My software costs half, while having 1000% better selection.

I am not locked into a proprietary loophole.

I dont have to pay $129 for service packs.

My computer does not look like a cheese grater, or a plastic blob or a desk lamp.

Posted by pbox on July 25, 2003 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

Off topic guys.  I use both platforms and have mp3 players that are compatible with both services (iTMS and BuyMusic) and have used both.  IMO iTMS is hands down better than BuyMusic.  The only problem with iTMS is that a Windows version will not be released ‘till later this year.  Major oversight, considering that the majority of iPod owners are Windows users.  Just imagine if iTMS already had a Windows version.

Posted by playero on July 25, 2003 at 5:08 PM (PDT)

Guys, I don’t think here is the place to be “platform-bashing”. In my opinion, the iTunes Music Store is far better than BuyMusic. Nothing to do with which OS it runs on - I just feel that Apple have taken a more professional approach with their store and made it far simpler and more fun to use.

Of course, I can’t see many people here using BuyMusic. The iPod isn’t even supported as it uses the awful Windows Media format (as opposed to the next-generation AAC).

Posted by cozzie on July 26, 2003 at 1:35 AM (PDT)

support http://dontbuymusic.com !! =)

Posted by robin on July 26, 2003 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

Listen E39, now what you don’t know is that I too have both a PC and a MAC and I know hardware more than you may assume. You say that your MAC crashes and your PC works better, thats fine. Nobody said the MAC is simply perfection because we know its not.  I’m just saying that Apple seems to go in the right direction when it comes to ease of use whereas it can take a lot of grief to make one simple thing work on the PC.  Forget the platform bashing and let’s stick to the music stores.  I checked out buymusic.com and its so bad.  How can you say that everything is 79 cents when only a limited amount of songs cost that amount while everything else is almost 2 bucks.  I think Gates should definitely start battling back and come up with their own store instead of leaving it to third parties who always seem to mess it up.  Apple has gone in the right direction and did it themselves which is why it works flawlessly with MACs.  Usually the makers of the OS know their software the best but they’re are third parties out there who can do something good to but in this case buymusic isn’t it.

Posted by PrimalTheory on July 26, 2003 at 9:48 PM (PDT)

pbox - fine. stick with PC. I don’t care
but really, keep it to yourself and stop posting utter crap.
winamp is simply NOT better than iTunes
the price difference is NOT 2:1
plug a multi-button mouse into a mac - whoa! it works!
software does NOT cost double on Mac. show me one app where that’s the case.
MacOS upgrades are fffaaaarrrr more substantial than a “service pack”

and if you object to Apple’s industrial design so much, why are you at an iPod site?

really, i don’t want to get into platform wars. each to his/her own. I just wanted to point out some terribly misinformed tripe.

Posted by Nathan Adams on July 27, 2003 at 5:23 AM (PDT)

Hm, I don’t see what the huge deal is, am I the only one that doesn’t care for online music stores?  I’d much rather find a 9.99 copy of an album in the store and rip it myself and whatever quality I desire, retaining a nice cd backup.  Not to mention, neither buymusic.com or the itunes music store have the widest selection (for my tastes).

I’m a recent mac user, used pcs for a very long time, and am not a fanatic of either platform.  I just like the way my mac works.  So can we please stop the platform bashing? because we all know that their are intelligent and moronic users of both mac and windows.

(for the record, I also think the itunes store is much more professionally set up and more pleasing to browse, but that’s just my opinion)

Posted by ambika s on July 27, 2003 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

oops, meant to post that in the next news update, sorry, i’m going to move it

Posted by ambika s on July 27, 2003 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

Why is it that platform bashing only occurs in Apple related sites? Have you ever asked yourself that question? PC related sites do a damn good job at sticking to the issues at hand without having to worry about other platforms.

And every MAC user knows this.  MAC owners are always so defensive.  They think that the computer world is MAC vs. Rest of the world!  Well, it is not.  It is MAC vs. IBM vs. Microsoft vs. etc….  Why you ask?  Because there are thousands of MFRs and the fact that 99.99% choose to work with PCs it does not mean that Apple users HAVE to criticize everything else.  Get a life.

Posted by c3ft on July 27, 2003 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

” You are the minority….learn to live with that.  There is a reason why the huge majority of people in this world do not buy MACs.”

and it’s definately not what you’re thinking of.

The reason the platform bashing comes into proceedings on Apple sites is because people like pbox and E39 come on to lie flame bait. As far as I know, Mac users have better things to do than cruising around PC sites posting junk like “software costs TWICE as much”.

Posted by Nathan Adams on July 28, 2003 at 1:25 AM (PDT)

Posted by playero on July 28, 2003 at 8:56 PM (PDT)