DRM-free AAC gives Apple boost against WMA
The announcement of DRM-free AAC tracks from the iTunes Store is the latest blow to Microsoft’s WMA format, Arik Hesseldahl writes for BusinessWeek. The move allows players other than the iPod, including devices from SanDisk, Creative, and Sharp, as well as the PSP and Zune, to play tracks purchased from the iTunes Store. Hesseldahl believes this chance for iTunes compatibility, along with bruised relationships from the PlaysForSure/Zune debacle, could lead to competing players adding AAC support while possibly dropping costly support for WMA.
In response to this possible market change, Hesseldahl suggests that many of the other online music stores, such as Napster, Yahoo! Music, and URGE, may follow suit and begin selling DRM-free AAC content as well, giving iTunes more direct competition — but also expanding the catalog of iPod-compatible music available online. This would lead to more iPod sales for Apple, and force Microsoft into a decision on whether or not to abandon WMA-based efforts entirely, Hesseldahl believes.
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple struggling to drop price of upcoming streaming music service
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.1 update for Windows
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2015 earnings call
- Apple Q2 2015: Record $58B revenue, 61.1M iPhones, 12.6M iPads
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4 beta to developers
- Major hospital links HealthKit data to patient records
- Apple Pay adds Discover cards
- Apple enables iTunes donations for Nepal earthquake
- Apple’s third-generation Siri built on Mesos platform
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?