Duke Freshmen receive long-awaited iPods | iLounge News

Duke Freshmen receive long-awaited iPods

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, August 20, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“‘Cool’ was the word of the night as eager members of the Class of 2008 gathered en masse on the East Campus Quadrangle Thursday to receive their long-awaited and highly-publicized welcome gifts: 20-gigabyte Apple iPods.

‘This is so cool,’ freshman after freshman exclaimed as they were handed boxes containing the tiny digital devices that are at the heart of the much-hyped Duke iPod First-Year Experience.’

« Belkin ships one-millionth iPod accessory

Windows: SyncITBaby 1.3 released »

Comments

How soon before we start seeing “Duke Class of 2008” engraved iPods on eBay?

Posted by Chimpee on August 20, 2004 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

Probably soon after grades for the first semester are posted.

Posted by Gromit on August 20, 2004 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

My local alumni club had an event for the kids going to Duke from our town. When we raffled off an Itunes gift certificate, the parents ponied up, but the kids looked completely befuddled. Apparently, the idea of paying for downloaded music was completely foreign.

Posted by morren in Dallas on August 20, 2004 at 8:32 AM (PDT)

You should have been selling USB 2.0 drives.

Posted by Drew-tang on August 20, 2004 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

Wow, 35,000 dollar tuition and you get a Free Ipod! So figure that 10 years of student loan payments will include your free little ipod gem.

Posted by Lupin III on August 20, 2004 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

I paid $35,000 to go to college and didn’t get so much as a free floppy disk.

Posted by Chimpee on August 20, 2004 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

WTF?  The only thing my college gave me was a kick-in-the-### when my grades were crap.  Duke blows.

Posted by Unlucky bastard on August 20, 2004 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

I’m waiting to see what Carolina will do to top this. Free iPods with unlimited iTunes access and a Carolina Blue case, maybe?

Posted by aries73 on August 20, 2004 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

You big Dukies:
Check out my “free” welcome present

Posted by WooStevens on August 20, 2004 at 6:28 PM (PDT)

Wow, Duke just made me realize that Rutgers University really blows more so than ever… Way to go New Jersey!

Posted by Schiano on August 20, 2004 at 6:38 PM (PDT)

3rd or 4th gen ipods?

Posted by Aptmunich on August 20, 2004 at 7:45 PM (PDT)

4th

Posted by The Dude on August 21, 2004 at 1:26 AM (PDT)

mAYBE WITH APPLE’S COLLABORATION WITH THE UNI IN THE PUBLIC EYE, ANY AUDIO OR 4TH GEN PROBLEMS WILL MAKE MORE OF AN IMPACT AND APPLE WILL HAVE TO SORT ITSELF OUT TO SAVE FACE.

Posted by SERGE on August 21, 2004 at 2:32 AM (PDT)

Thanks Lupin III I thought the same thing. Yes they are given, but when you pay that much tuition you know the cost of all that was working in there somehoqw.  My community college gave away copies of XP Pro, but they openly said that we paid for it in SPECIAL tech fee…..  Meh oh well…..  Its a nice gesture I guess…... smile

Posted by I Love My Ipod on August 21, 2004 at 4:38 AM (PDT)

CONSIDERING THE 30K+ TUITION…...iPod is nothing, should be giving out PB’s…..

Posted by WaSAi-mikE on August 21, 2004 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

I lived in Durham for years.  Like I needed another reason to dislike Duke.

Wouldn’t you be pissed if you were a sophomore?

I’d be prowling the pawn shops around campus.  They’ll show up there pretty damn quick.

Posted by The Big Kahuna on August 21, 2004 at 6:16 PM (PDT)

Well YEAH! You gotta pay for that round of beer some how!!!! wink

Posted by I love My Ipod on August 22, 2004 at 4:33 AM (PDT)

I bet this is a kick in the pills to the seniors who are going into their 4th year and who’ve been working their ### off to pass.

Posted by 56k nerd on August 22, 2004 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

Also

How are Windows users supposed to use this for academic use and update their calendar?  I’m hoping Apple releases a software update so we can sync the calendar with Outlook without having to downlaod a third party app

Posted by 56k nerd on August 22, 2004 at 8:52 AM (PDT)

Rember how cell phone companies use to say ‘our $75 a month plan comes with 500 free minutes’?  If the minutes are free, then what’s the $75 for?

Of course after paying $35k in tuition, I have a hard time seing how someone could say the iPod is FREE.

Besdies, whoever can afford $35k in tuition can spare $300 for an iPod—even if you’re on financial aid.

Posted by Get Real on August 22, 2004 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >