DVForge halts JamPod production, plans new version
DVForge said today that it has stopped production of its new JamPod electric guitar iPod accessory due to quality issues. DVForge CEO Jack Campbell told iLounge that his company created two versions of the JamPod — a cheaper version that cut corners to keep the price down, and a higher-grade version that would cost more to manufacture and sell.
“The simpler design could be sold for about $30. The more sophisticated design would have had to sell for about $50,” Campbell said. “We showed the $50 piece at Macworld Expo, and saw a surprising resistance to the price among showgoers. Based on the feedback from the show, we decided to take the less expensive version to production, we began accepting pre-orders about 3-weeks ago, and, we began shipping the product this past Thursday,” Campbell said. “We began getting comments back from many of these customers expressing concern about the sound quality and the fit and finish of the product.”
Based on the complaints from customers, Campbell said DVForge is halting production of the cheaper design and will soon offer the higher quality version for a higher price. He also said that his company would offer refunds to those unsatisfied with the JamPod.
“We decided on Sunday to simply trash the entire first production run of the JamPod, refund product and shipping costs for any dissatisfied customer, and, to take the earlier (higher performance) design to production,” Campbell told iLounge. “We will be rereleasing the JamPod in approximately 8-weeks at a retail price of $49.99. It will be the version that we showed at Macworld Expo, with the impeccable fit and finish, and the strong audio performance that our more demanding customers have requested.”
- Apple adds ‘Beats by Dr. Dre’ section to online store
- Magellan intros Echo Fit sports smart watch
- Apple posts official Beats welcome announcement
- Nest Protect alarm returning to stores with lower price
- Samsonite acquires Speck Products for $85 million
- Beats introduces new Solo2 headphones
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Report: iPhone 6 to feature NFC mobile payments
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today