DVForge kills PodBuddy, blames DLO [updated] | iLounge News

DVForge kills PodBuddy, blames DLO [updated]

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, May 23, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageDVForge has decided to halt production of its PodBuddy FM auto connection cradle due to a patent conflict with another major iPod accessory maker.

“We are not going to be able to launch and sell our PodBuddy product, because of a disagreement with Netalog, Inc. D/B/A/ DLO (Digital Lifestyle Outfitters) over a patent that they hold for their TransPod iPod car holder/transmitter,” DVForge’s Jack Campbell says in a note on his company’s site. “We have been informed by DLO that they consider our PodBuddy to be an infringement of their company’s U.S. patent #6,591,085, and, that they will file suit against us, if we launch the PodBuddy.”

“We disagree with DLO’s claim, and, we believe that our PodBuddy is so utterly different from their company’s TransPod product that there can be no question of infringement,” Campbell continues. “But, we are not able to fund the sort of protracted legal battle that would be required to prove our point in court. So, we are forced to kill the PodBuddy.”

Update: DLO has provided iLounge with the following statement regarding DVForge’s claims: “Our DLO TransPod is a very popular product that people use and enjoy every day. In fact, the newly released black TransPod is one of our fastest selling products ever. This all-in-one car solution contains one of the best sounding and most convenient iPod Transmitters in the world and eliminates the need for any additional wires or chargers.”

“Available in Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, Target and most other iPod accessory outlets, the DLO TransPod is a very relevant product and worthy of defending its Intellectual Property as recognized by the United States Patent & Trademark Office. We have and will continue to defend our awarded patent to the fullest extent of the law. The DLO TransPod and its future iterations will continue to be extraordinarily important to DLO and iPod owners everywhere.”

« Monster iCruze now available

Merrill Lynch offers possibilities for iTunes video »

Comments

This sucks,
I was looking forward to replacing my fugly TransPod with the transmitter-less PodBuddy when it came out. The fact is, FM tranmitters offer inferior sound. It may be time to pony up for a new alpine system.

Posted by Derek in Chicago, IL on May 23, 2005 at 3:57 PM (PDT)

Jack Campbell: champion of intellectual property rights.

Posted by birddog in CA, USA on May 23, 2005 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

birddog: All issued patents from the USPTO are not solid. Many times, overly broad, over-reaching patents are issued, especially into new product categories. Every day, somewhere, a patent is being declared invalid by the courts, upon the challenge of one competitor by another. Our contention is that the DLO patent is such a weak one that it will eventually be found to be invalid by the courts. Unfortunately, we are not the company to fund that legal attack at the moment. I have, instead, chosen to invest heavily into several other new products for Christmas season ‘05.

Very rarely are supposed “intellectual property rights” quite as clear cut as you seem to imply. There is nothing underhanded about being willing to challenge weakly claimed such rights.

Posted by MacMice on May 23, 2005 at 4:48 PM (PDT)

DVForge may have a better looking product, but I can’t understand how their CEO thinks this is not similar to DLO’s TransPod. I would like an explanation, then maybe I’ll feel sorry for them.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on May 23, 2005 at 6:27 PM (PDT)

I was really looking forward to this item as well, as it was supposed to find the weakest FM station automatically and lock onto it.  Plus, it provided a cool looking mounting location.

Oh well.

Posted by genrlz on May 23, 2005 at 7:22 PM (PDT)

Jack Campbell has earned a reputation; decide for yourself about his credibility.

Posted by ct77 on May 23, 2005 at 7:23 PM (PDT)

Plus, the pod buddy did not require you to remove a case on a ipod, like the trans pod does.

I guess in short, I was waiting for this product, and do not see the transpod as a direct or equal equivalent.

I will now be seeking a different tuner.

Posted by genrlz on May 23, 2005 at 7:26 PM (PDT)

I just sent an email to DVForge on the behalf of myself and those of you who expressed interest here.  If you want to buy this product, I suggest you send them an email to.  It may work and it may not, but at least you know you did something.  Anyway, this is what I sent them:

You dont need to reply to this.  I recently heard that you would not be releasing the podbuddy due to patent troubles with DLO.  I do not think this should stop it.  Not only does your product look superior (it is asthetically pleasly), it sounds like it offers some unique features (I heard it automatically locks onto the weakest FM station).  It short I believe this product is unique and you should fight DLO’s patent, which seems very overreaching.  There are quite a few ipod owners I know who were very much looking forward to owning one of these,  upon hearing about automatic FM locking, I was considering buying one my self.

Please release this product!

Posted by ipodfreak in oregon on May 23, 2005 at 9:15 PM (PDT)

Did you guys read the story on the DV forge website concerning this?

Posted by genrlz on May 23, 2005 at 10:44 PM (PDT)

Okay, with the PodBuddyFM, I can see why there is a dispute.  Why discontinue manufacture of the PodBuddy mount?  I was also waiting for this model.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on May 24, 2005 at 7:44 AM (PDT)

Hmm, just a suggestion, ipodfreak, if you are sending an email/letter to DVForge, you should at least make sure it is business looking, free of any grammatical or typographical errors.

Posted by greencoffeebean on May 24, 2005 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

yes, I guess I was a little sloppy, probably from too much time typing online:)

Posted by ipodfreak in oregon on May 24, 2005 at 9:09 PM (PDT)

Yes, before you go believing *anything* that Jack Campbell has to offer, do a little research on how trustworthy he is.

There’s a link a couple of posts up, and this one:

And for more Jack hijinks:

Yet more:
http://www.yourmaclife.com and do a search in their forums.

Posted by Arufu on May 25, 2005 at 5:25 AM (PDT)