Early iPad issues: Wi-Fi problems, overheating | iLounge News

Early iPad issues: Wi-Fi problems, overheating

A number of reports and Apple Support forum threads indicate that some iPad users are running into both overheating and Wi-Fi problems with their new devices. Most common among the Wi-Fi complaints are reports of a weak or fluctuating signal. Many of the users also note having other PCs, Macs, and/or iPhones on the same network, none of which exhibit the same issue. One user in particular used the speedtest.net app on both the iPhone 3GS and the iPad, and found the iPad’s download speed was 1.83 megabits per second, compared to 14.77 megabits per second for the 3GS; upload speed was comparable. Apple itself has posted a support document outlining a problem where the iPad doesn’t automatically rejoin known Wi-Fi networks, although this appears unrelated to the problems reported in the forum threads.

In addition, The Atlantic has compiled a brief list of iPad users claiming their device shut down due to overheating during outdoor use. According to the reports, the iPad shuts itself off when overheated, displaying a notification image along with a message that “iPad needs to cool down before you can use it.” One user reported that a reboot and moving to a shaded area fixed the problem, while another said his unit has shut down four separate times already. It is unclear whether the problem is actually attributable to sunlight exposure, outdoor temperature, or perhaps faulty thermal sensors, although one user did report his unit’s case was well over 90 degrees when it shut off. Apple officially lists the iPad’s operating temperature as 32° to 95° F. [via cnet, AppleInsider]

« Random House remains iBookstore holdout

Apple posts iPad 3G battery life: 9 hours »

Comments

“Apple officially lists the iPad’s operating temperature as 32° to 95° F.”

Oh wow.  That means it’s only usable in Southern Arizona for 5 months of the year then.  Not all of us have A/C, and even with an evaporative cooler, interior tempuratures can be well above 90F when the outside tempurature is 115F.  Last year we still had highs in the 90s in November.  We typically hit our first 100 degree day in May or even April.

Posted by Anon on April 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM (CDT)

It’s the same temperature range as the iPhone and Mac.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 5, 2010 at 4:43 PM (CDT)

Serioulsy Im glad to see this I thought i was going crazy and about to buy a new router…mine has exact issues Im hoping just a software bug for wifi, overheating don’t have an issue in the northwest never hits 90+

Posted by calvin on April 5, 2010 at 6:44 PM (CDT)

Does the wifi problem have anything to do with being on a B, G or N network?  My dad got one this weekend and he has two 802.11n Airport Expresses, and it joined just fine.  Maybe the bug is that the ‘Pad has a problem joining select G or even B or A networks.  Just thinking out loud.

-Brian

Posted by Brianbobcat on April 5, 2010 at 7:23 PM (CDT)

“Not all of us have A/C, and even with an evaporative cooler, interior tempuratures can be well above 90F when the outside tempurature is 115F.”

Maybe the priority should be a/c before gadgets ?

Posted by Wth on April 5, 2010 at 8:19 PM (CDT)

A heat issue really surprises me.  I’m used to having my lap cooked by my MacBook Pro and my wife’s MacBook, but I’ve run the iPad for hours at a time and it doesn’t feel as if it’s getting any warmer at all.

Posted by Downing on April 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM (CDT)

Just ran speed tests on mine. 15Mb/sec down, 2Mb/sec up.
Ran it all night and all day today. Never even gets warm to the touch.
Sounds like warm/hot units might have bad hardware.
Bound to be some. First runs.
My network is N, B/G compatible mode due to iPhone/iPod touch, and Roku box. Very happy with performance here.

sb

Posted by sb on April 6, 2010 at 1:25 AM (CDT)

I played with my iPad in 70 degree weather on Esater Sunday for roughly 7 hours straight with no Wi-Fi or heating issue to note.  At least for the moment, my iPad is running fine!

Posted by Knarf Notnan on April 6, 2010 at 9:59 AM (CDT)

Definitely experienced the overheating issue.  I’ll say that here in Cleveland, Ohio—it’s nice to think it would be 95 degree in April…but it wasn’t.  It was probably about 80 degrees out—and all of a sudden, iPad just started to get hotter than the short girl from Dancing with the Stars.

Anyway, take it for what it’s worth…

Posted by AppstandMike on April 6, 2010 at 11:28 AM (CDT)

No problems on my end down here in Sunny South Florida

Posted by Clean Cut on April 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM (CDT)

I am just about ready to sell this thing.  I can’t get a consistent connection.  I wanted the WiFi to work, but I’ve read every bit of advise and I just don’t have any more time to work on this.

This is starting to look like it should be called iPad Vista!

Posted by Christi on April 6, 2010 at 6:40 PM (CDT)

Not a single issue here. Works perfectly. No WiFi issues, no heat issues. Couldn’t be happier.

Posted by J Bernard Jones on April 7, 2010 at 10:41 PM (CDT)

I just returned my iPad. It kept overheating and turned out to be unusable in even moderate weather.

I live in New York, and in the last 5 days, only 1 day was around 85 degrees… My iPad overheated 8 times in 5 days. I really feel bad for everyone in the south and mid-west, as they must really be having trouble.

Hopefully Apple will deal with this better than they are doing with the wifi issues. The website tells me to move my iPad closer to the router… that type of meaningless support is both condescending and cowardly of apple. They should admit that they are having issues rather than denying them.

I spoke to a “mac genious” before returning the product, and was told that the issue was non-existant and that they people on the apple forum were lying. They offered me a replacement, which I was smart enough to decline.

Posted by Domi D on April 7, 2010 at 11:22 PM (CDT)

All these issues plus the lack of support of Adobe Flash makes it look as product that will be unsuccessful. I bet there is a lot of dissapointed people. I will wait for the technology to improve and a serius company that will respect users and include support for features needed today. HTML5 is not yet ready for prime time. Companies can not purposely “omit” support for widely used Internet format, giving false excuses and hiding the real motives (controlling the application market for their devices).

Posted by Oscar on April 8, 2010 at 12:14 AM (CDT)

Oh Oscar. Guys like you come out of the cave for this?  Yep, already at 600k+units sold, it’s a hit my friend.
And as of yet, lack of flash has been NO PROBLEM as many sites use QT or HTML 5. Have a look at AAPL. You will see the end result of a company that understands customers and pushes forward.
If your idea of respecting customers is Microsoft’s model, you’re indeed a dinosaur as are they.

Posted by sb on April 8, 2010 at 11:21 AM (CDT)

It was almost 90 in NYC yesterday, so I decided to take a personal day and hang-out in Prospect Park. I took my iPad with me and worked on my tan.  Sorry, but my iPad had no problem dealing with the temperature and i was able to connect to an unsecured Wi-Fi connection.  My wife also purchased an iPad and she too has experienced total bliss to date.  Sorry but maybe the people complaining about their iPads are just unlucky or dense!

Posted by Knarf Notnan on April 8, 2010 at 12:17 PM (CDT)

My IPad works fine at home. Now on vacation at a hotel, the wifi connection here is flaky at best. Basically usable, and it’s one of the reasons I wanted this device.

(posted from my iPad in the hotel room)

Posted by Amy K on April 11, 2010 at 3:02 PM (CDT)

Experienced the wireless issue and still on the fence about taking it back for a refund.

Posted by Dreaming on April 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM (CDT)

My iPad on wi-fi works great within 30’ of the hub. But when past that range signal strengh deminishes rapidly. When I show about 50% strength on my Toshiba M700 and my iPhone 3GS I will not have any access on my iPad. Serious issue.

Posted by Ira on April 13, 2010 at 9:31 AM (CDT)

no issues on mine what so EVER!!! i dont know what you people are complaining of because i have not encountered any problems and very happy with my ipad wifi. signal is good, loading times are fast… you people complaining are probably the ones that got the defective items. just exchange the item and find out if it is indeed the ipads wifi thats having problems… OR… your internet service or router is causing the problems. as far as overheating… noting here as well. so… i guess its only some people that got the ipad at the wrong time and place.

Posted by archie on May 15, 2010 at 1:12 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >