Early iPad issues: Wi-Fi problems, overheating
A number of reports and Apple Support forum threads indicate that some iPad users are running into both overheating and Wi-Fi problems with their new devices. Most common among the Wi-Fi complaints are reports of a weak or fluctuating signal. Many of the users also note having other PCs, Macs, and/or iPhones on the same network, none of which exhibit the same issue. One user in particular used the speedtest.net app on both the iPhone 3GS and the iPad, and found the iPad’s download speed was 1.83 megabits per second, compared to 14.77 megabits per second for the 3GS; upload speed was comparable. Apple itself has posted a support document outlining a problem where the iPad doesn’t automatically rejoin known Wi-Fi networks, although this appears unrelated to the problems reported in the forum threads.
In addition, The Atlantic has compiled a brief list of iPad users claiming their device shut down due to overheating during outdoor use. According to the reports, the iPad shuts itself off when overheated, displaying a notification image along with a message that “iPad needs to cool down before you can use it.” One user reported that a reboot and moving to a shaded area fixed the problem, while another said his unit has shut down four separate times already. It is unclear whether the problem is actually attributable to sunlight exposure, outdoor temperature, or perhaps faulty thermal sensors, although one user did report his unit’s case was well over 90 degrees when it shut off. Apple officially lists the iPad’s operating temperature as 32° to 95° F. [via cnet, AppleInsider]
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 cellular models available in China this week
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.2, fixing missing ringtones issue
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015