eBay auctioneer warns consumers of iPod scams | iLounge News

eBay auctioneer warns consumers of iPod scams

You may have recently read the many articles circulating the Web regarding iPod scams on eBay. An auctioneer has taken it upon himself to do something about it. He has posted an eBay auction of his own to warn prospective buyers by stating, “This is an auction of free info to save some of you from getting suckered. There are a ton of ads on eBay for “information” on how to get a cheap new iPod—usually for $25 or $40. I felt it was worth the 30 cent or so insertion fee to warn you people of this. Word to the wise, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. These are SCAMS. You will not get an iPod, you will get scammed.” He also refers readers to a recent Wired article about the scams.

« iPod people attack New York!

Small Dog offers iPod Battery Replacement Program »

Comments

seriously, does this poster bother to read comments? ..... This is the third post about “ebay scams” and there are various things those ebayers are offering:

1) incentive clubs like freegiftplanet.com which is legal and it works
2) pyramidmatrix schemes which are illegal and doesnt work (or takes years)

he needs to stop posting crap and write an article on what they are offering

Posted by ranova on February 14, 2004 at 1:28 PM (CST)

Great, a free advert for his other eBay auctions.

Posted by narco in Burbank on February 14, 2004 at 2:10 PM (CST)

Posted by Richard on February 14, 2004 at 2:14 PM (CST)

WOW, thats a real eye opener! I hadnt heard about that before except for all those posts on that website about iPods.

Posted by Jon on February 14, 2004 at 2:39 PM (CST)

Posted by Jon on February 14, 2004 at 2:39 PM (CST)

woops, thats ironic

Posted by Jon on February 14, 2004 at 2:39 PM (CST)

If you are so “efficient” in getting the news yourself, why bother come here in the first place, and then post such links?

Stop showing off how much you think you know how to do google news search, you are poluting the board and this fine site

Posted by googleit stop! on February 14, 2004 at 8:53 PM (CST)

I posted the auction—and to the person that said “great, a free advert for his other auctions” that was not my intention at all.

It’s not like I’m some huge ebayer.  My girlfriend and I recently both upgraded our 10GB pods (I got a 40, she went to a mini (on order) and I sold my 10Gb and am now selling some other stuff.

When I went there to sell it all I saw were these “info” auctions and it annoyed the crap out of me that eBay was letting this go on.

So when I saw the post here the other day about what they are really selling, I figured it was worth 30 cents or so to get the info on the Apple iPod board and hopefully end them.

I had *nothing* but good intentions—I really could care less if anyone buys my other auction.

Posted by Chuck on February 14, 2004 at 10:36 PM (CST)

Chuck, thanks man.  I for one appreciate your intentions, as I’m sure others have as well.  Too many people forget that their browser can connect them to a *community* with lots of other users who may need help like the kind you provided at eBay…i.e. can connect them to people other than themselves.

The fact that scammers are making money on ebay with this crap is proof that some people are being taken advantage of as we speak, and I’d bet your auction avoids that from happening to a lot of people.

Posted by Breathe on February 16, 2004 at 10:29 AM (CST)

Yes, daily and by the minute there are scams running on ebay. Thank you for taking the time, to try to warn others. I tried that once, the auction was pulled. Tried to warn people what to look for.
One site that is interesting is http://nekkidtruth.blogspot.com/ they list the known scammer email addresses, and also post some of the success stories from people that were saved the heart ache of being scammed. They also post the stories of those that found the site too late!

Posted by Jerry on December 23, 2006 at 11:30 PM (CST)