EMI expects Apple to hike prices on iTunes within a year | iLounge News

EMI expects Apple to hike prices on iTunes within a year

Record label EMI Group expects Apple to raise the price of popular songs and cut prices of less popular tracks on the iTunes Music Store within a year. The Wall Street Journal reports [paid sub. req.] that EMI Music CEO Alain Levy had discussed the issue with Apple CEO Steve Jobs and believes Apple will end its single 99-cent pricing.

“We are having discussions which make us believe it will happen in the next 12 months,” Levy reportedly said at a press conference in London for the company’s half-year profit results. “There is a common understanding that we will have to come to a variable pricing structure. The issue is when. There is a case for superstars to have a higher price.”

« DLO Action Jacket for new iPods announced

iPod and iTunes No. 1 in Japan »

Comments

The price is going up and I’m glad it is.  Competition in the form of making Apple raise its price is gonna level the playing field and open the business up to a new world of services and opportunities for the consumer.

If 99 cents truly is the sweet spot then the price will eventually work its way back down.

Some will say I’m crazy, but I only speak the truth, and you know it.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on November 17, 2005 at 2:51 AM (CST)

They’re rasing the prices on the good stuff, & leaving the crap alone, cuz it’s just that CRAP!!

Posted by BENTON on November 17, 2005 at 4:25 AM (CST)

Look at it like this. Let them charge $1.79 for 50 Cent and U2. The music I want tends to be older from the 80’s and early 90’s. So,let them charge .79 for those classic 70s and 80s rock and pop and the stupid 15 year old kids can pay stupid prices for their Ashelee Simpson and Disturbed ‘superstar’ music. If a new song is released thats really that good you likely do not mind buying the cd anyway. Just be sure to get it the week it’s relased at Best Buy for 8.99-10.99.

I still say if you want current music buy ‘replay music’ and log onto a streaming music site and record the stream. The program starts and stops on its own with no gap and it even tags the songs for you. I do not have this program but I used a free trial and it’s impressive.
I swear to you the difference between a recorded stream from a quality source and 128mp3 is minimal. Plus,ifit’s music you just want to listen to and delete when you get tired of it who cares if it’s not cd-quality?

I keep saying that these companies are trying to kill technology rather then use it. They will force us back to 1987 when we were recording songs off of the radio onto tape. Only with current software and streaming options you can end up with files that are pretty decent in quality,certainly way ahead of FM recorded onto cheap Memorex tape. And,no worries about virus/corrupt files and legal issues from p2p.

Posted by Beyondthetemple on November 17, 2005 at 6:07 AM (CST)

If Apple implements this misguided, greedy and logically unsound pricing system on iTunes, I will not be buying any more songs off it. I’ll also seriously consider not buying another iPod again, as much as that would sting.

Posted by holy_cow on November 17, 2005 at 8:17 AM (CST)

Cool, so this means that Apple will be lowering its profit margin to keep the price that same for all their loyal patrons! ;)

The reality is that Apple is becoming more and more like the giant corporations in many respects and the more profit they attain, the more they will change—not necessarily for the better, but that’s life.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on November 17, 2005 at 8:14 PM (CST)

i SERIOUSLY doubt that itunes will raise its prices.

Posted by jen on November 18, 2005 at 7:19 AM (CST)

After what Steve Jobs has done to better the industry throught the ITMS, one would be a fool to underestimate his strategic plan. He’s making about $.29 per download and substantially all his cost structure is variable. He’s smart enough to affect the way I (a 47 year-old consumer with 2 teen daughters in my household) buy music. His product is fairly priced and ITS LEGAL. I feel good when I press the “Buy” button and my daughters will be less likely to steal music if presented with the opportunity.

The price will inevitably change, this is free-trade in action. I don’t care about that.

Oh yeah, by the way, in the last 12 months I’ve personally spent about $700 on iPods and Apple hardware. Believe me, Jobs has got this figured out…way out!

Posted by Ol'poder in Louisville on November 18, 2005 at 9:45 AM (CST)

Just to clear up Madonna’s album.  The higher priced album includes her new music video too.  That’s the price increase.

I think $.99 is pushing it.  Going any higher would ruin what it has now.

Posted by kdogg on November 18, 2005 at 12:09 PM (CST)

Talking Madness: Once again, you’re being a MORON. Prices do not need to go up. Besides .99 cents is MORE than people should have to pay for a song as it is.

Benton: Why is cr@p? Because an IDIOT like you cannot appreciate it? Who cares what you’re tastes are? You don’t decide what is s h i t t y music and what isn’t. I DO.

Deal with it, you losers.

Posted by Jack on November 20, 2005 at 2:39 AM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2