Eminem sues Apple over iTunes ad | iLounge News

Eminem sues Apple over iTunes ad

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, February 24, 2004
News Categories: Apple

“Rapper Eminem’s music publisher is suing Apple Computer Inc., claiming the company used one of the hip-hop superstar’s songs in a television advertisement without permission.

Eight Mile Style filed the copyright infringement suit late last week against Apple, Viacom Inc., its MTV subsidiary and the TBWA/Chiat/Day advertising agency.

At issue is an ad for Apple’s iTunes pay-per-download music software, in which a 10-year-old sings Eminem’s “Lose Yourself.” The suit claims the commercial aired on MTV beginning in July 2003 and ran numerous times for at least three months. It also appeared on Apple’s Web site.”

« Mac|Windows: iPod mini 1.0 Software Released

Mediafour releases XPlay 2.0 Beta »

Comments

Chris would u like me to play an instrumental for you(for 30 secs of course due to fair use *rolls eyes*) then proceed to film you freestyling on that beat? That would be easy actually. You could say the normal drivel that came out in your post. But try and have it make sense, make it rhyme, make it have a beat structure etc etc. Now let me get a rap artiste to do what YOU do. They prolly couldn’t do it either. It is called the Circle of Life. You may be a genius at one thing while an ignoramus at something else. Just because you can’t do what other ppl do, DO NOT DISCREDIT THEIR WORK.

Posted by SteyrMaster on February 24, 2004 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Chris rules! and eminem is trash.

Posted by Sammy J on February 24, 2004 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

...or spelling.

Posted by Brent on February 24, 2004 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

I side with Apple on this one. Legalities aside, it’s obvious that having an actor sing eminem’s song is only going to help eminem’s record sales.

I’m sure Apple probably could have charged artists to have their music featured in iPod commercials. (I bet there are plenty of small bands who’d love to be featured in an iPod commercial that plays nationwide)

Posted by Noryen on February 24, 2004 at 3:04 PM (PDT)

Whose spelling?

Posted by SteyrMaster on February 24, 2004 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

noryen>> The flaw in your argument is “legalities aside”. This IS a legal argument. Eminem MAY benefit from having having his song in the ad but Apple MAY also benefit by the same vein. And to use anyone’s artistic property, actually ANYONE’S property, means you MUST have their permission. If it didn’t mean this then I could come over and ‘borrow’ your iPod right now. In the real world borrow would be replaced with ‘steal’.

Posted by SteyrMaster on February 24, 2004 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

steyrMaster -

That is pretty presumptious of you to assume that I can’t do what “they” do. Considering the fact that I have reorded with one of the first (and also most respected) go go bands in Washington DC (Trouble Funk), jammed on stage with Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers (which many consider the Godfather of Go Go), AND laid guitar and bass tracks down for quite a few local DC funk bands, I ‘d take your challenge with no hesitation.

I will agree with you on one thing - freestyling is hard and takes a quick mind and quick wit to pull off. However, as with ANY “instrument”. practice makes perfect. You mean to tell me that you think any of theses “rappers” didn’t practice their freestyling for hours on end, that they don’t have “riffs” that they fall back on when they are stuck? Please, alliteration, is NOT THAT HARD.

But, as I said earlier, rap TODAY is just a bunch of puffed up thugs with NO TALENT whatsoever. They aren’t musicians IN THE LEAST.

At least Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel, KRS One, PE - THOSE people had something to say.

This whole Ja Rule, 50 Cent, Jay Z,  Biggie Smalls, Tupac, etc. is CRAP! Total CRAP! They are nothing but a bunch of egomanical CRIMINALS - AND YOU RESPECT THESE PEOPLE? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!

The only people in the rap field that have ANY talent is Scott Storch and the Dust Brothers - and maybe Dre.

Posted by Chris on February 24, 2004 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

Are you people crazy?  Agree with him!  Don’t you know what a Steyr is??

Posted by Brent on February 24, 2004 at 3:26 PM (PDT)

Chris-

You dont have to like rap, or even respect the people rapping, but you yourself said that they practiced “for hours on end”.  Do you think the greatest jazz or funk guitarists did not have “riffs” to fall back on?  That is the whole POINT of practicing—to build foundation.

I agree that the lyrical content is as valuable as cotton fluff, but you cant deny the commitment and artistry of even some of today’s rappers.

I personally hate country music, and think that alot of the annoying attributes in rap music are also present there, (homogeny/reuse/guest artists as a gimmick/etc) but I can’t deny there is talent there.

(and anyone should know that making claims about the personalities or calling all rappers criminals is just a little junior high-ish)

Posted by kryzk on February 24, 2004 at 3:49 PM (PDT)

Kryzk - I give credit where credit is due. That is why I mentioned the practicing.

However, I can deny the aristry because I don’t feel that there is any there.

Case in point - what is the huge beef in rap theses days? 50 says HE is the true criminal (or should I say ‘gangsta”) and that Ja Rule is just a posuer. And Ja Rule says just the opposite. 50 fully admits to selling drugs and pimpin ho’s - and makes allusions to the fact that he has killed people. Same thing with Biggie - another admitted drug dealer and “gangsta”. And how about the whole East Coast/West Coast thing? People were KILLED over that crap! “Yo, I am the deffest playa” “No, I am” Bang Bang. You trying to tell me that Suge Knight and Snoop are model citizens? Snoop’s done his jail time for drugs and Suge’s done LOTS of jail time for all kinds of offenses.

And these are the kind of people that the youth of today admire and want to be like? WTF is wrong with this picture!!

Posted by Chris on February 24, 2004 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

steyr-mannlicher make guns don’t they?

Posted by Harry Hugel on February 24, 2004 at 4:18 PM (PDT)

Yes - they make guns. But he proably chose his name from the game Counter Strike and the Steyr Aug.

Then again, one of the prime themes in rap music these days is guns and how “fly, ill, def” they are and how they should be coveted and that possesing guns shows what a man you are.

Impotent frigging rappers.

Posted by Chris on February 24, 2004 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

would yall stuf… argueing about this stupid ####. cant believe all u apple “fan boy” is a ####### dumbass…no one care!!!!! is it your money? eminem is a f*cking white trash and apple is a evil empire just like M$. its not like apple is steal your music. give it a rest. come on yall i’m ready for ya!!!!!!!

Posted by mini ipod suck on February 24, 2004 at 4:32 PM (PDT)

I would like to second that motion, mini iPods do suck.

Posted by Brent on February 24, 2004 at 4:35 PM (PDT)

my unprofessional opinion:

Apple should have maybe asked for consent, but maybe it was required.  I’m sure apple could have ponied up the probably relatively insignificant amount to have one line of an eminem song quoted.  Even if it wasn’t illegal, it’s common courtesy to ask before you borrow or take; it can’t do anything but help.

I give rappers credit for their profession—not for who they are.  Singing and being in the spotlight a lot is demanding, and usually the “big-timers” (such as eminem) are compensated (overly so in many cases).  If eminem is who he claims to be in his songs, then I don’t have respect for him as a person, but not everybody can “flow.”

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on February 24, 2004 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

chris>> “As far as calling rappers criminals - that isn’t being junior-higgish at all. It’s called the truth.”

Are biggie, ja rule, 50 ALL the rappers in the world? Unless you know EVERY rapper in the world you cannot make a generalisation like that. That is like me saying all black men are well endowed.

Brent>> A Steyr is a gun. To be more specific it’s a sniper rifle that isn’t as powerful as something like an AWM/P. The only reason I have such a name is due to the time I spent playing Counter-Strike when I was 18. So about 5 years ago. That name has stuck. I use it as a double meaning since it sounds like Stairmaster and then that allowed me to have a quote such as “Ladies I own your thighs”. Is that enough background history for you Brent??

Posted by SteyrMaster on February 24, 2004 at 4:45 PM (PDT)

I’m on your side, man….hey is that you on the roof across the stree ...........................................qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

Posted by Brent on February 24, 2004 at 4:50 PM (PDT)

Steyr,

I was right! smile (on the CS reference) lol!

I make that generalization about rappers today. That is why I mentioned some rappers from the past . And I make that generalization in part by the image that the rappers themselves promote. I realize not every rapper out there is a thug, but the most popular ones are. You can’t deny that.

One last thing - you should try Day of Defeat. Much more fun than CS.

Posted by Chris on February 24, 2004 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

Eminem is alright. Don’t be hatin’.

Posted by The Truth on February 24, 2004 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

I was playing Day of Defeat when it first started out b4 all the mneubs gathered around it hehe. Not to mention Front Line Force and Firearms. hehe. Basically if the mod was good I was playing it when it was intially released. I’ve been playing CS since the days when the guns would remain on the floor during rounds… when you had to choose what rounds to buy for each gun hehe :D

Posted by SteyrMaster on February 24, 2004 at 5:28 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >