eMusic launches new subscription plans | iLounge News

eMusic launches new subscription plans

imageeMusic has announced that it is expanding its music offerings with three new subscription plans. eMusic subscription plans differ from most online subscriptions in that the subscriber doesn’t rent the music — users are charged a certain amount each month for a set number of downloads, which the user then owns. The new subscriptions are named “Connoisseur Plans” for the high number of downloads per month that each plan offers.

The Basic Connoisseur Plan offers 100 downloads per month for a $24.99 fee, the Plus Connoisseur Plan offers 200 downloads for $49.99 per month, and the Premium Connoisseur Plan offers 300 tracks for a monthly fee of $74.99. All three new Connoisseur Plans offer an average download cost of $.25 per track, assuming that all the download credits are used. eMusic is the world’s second-largest digital music service after iTunes, and offers its entire catalog in DRM-free MP3 format.

« Rogers dismisses iPhone ‘speculation’

DLO debuts Shell cases for 2G iPod nano »

Comments

I love emusic… but these new plans are not as good as their old plans.

I still get 90 downloads for $19.99, since I was a member before they changed everything up.

Still it would be tempting to switch to the $75 plan and empty my “SAVE FOR LATER” folder in 2 months.

I hate waiting for my new tracks.

Posted by ort on April 4, 2007 at 4:33 PM (CDT)

I wonder if their old plans are still around. I have a yearly subscription for 70 songs/month and I hardly manage to assess the new stuff..
starting at 100 songs a month for the new plans? How do people keep up with their downloads!

I love the selection though, and the bitrate, and no more DRM hassle

Posted by Christina on April 4, 2007 at 6:54 PM (CDT)

Holy Cow, where DO people find the time to listen to all that?  I have 40 downloads a month for $9.99.  That’s 3-4 new albums a month.  I’ve also been trading out my older CDs on lala.  Between those two and the constantly updated podcasts lined up on my iPod, and a listening timeframe of just about 2 hours a day in my car, I’ll be sticking with my 40 downloads.  I can barely keep up!

Posted by Debra on April 4, 2007 at 7:50 PM (CDT)

Woo Hoo, I think i will be upgrading and hopefully emusic will start to get music by the major labels if they all start to adopt DRM less files, keep an eye out for those EMI artists.

Posted by Steven Bates on April 4, 2007 at 11:26 PM (CDT)

I am getting my first ipod for my birthday - can any emusic users provide any pros/cons to using emusic? The subscription plan seems like a good way to build a legit. digital library and the site says they offer lots of independent music; I’m not familiar with them though…

Posted by Emily on April 5, 2007 at 7:55 AM (CDT)

As a business, they’re terrific. DRM-free mp3’s, at alt.preset.standard quality. They even keep a record of your download history, so you can download again (and again) if you lose your files. They’ve also never increased their rates for existing customers (to my knowledge and in my experience).

On the “downside”, the selection is decidedly indie, though larger labels like Matador and Vagrant are well represented. If you see a MAJOR artist on, it’s probably a “past their prime” album or a tribute album. Also, you shouldn’t depend on the download history as your backup, cause some bands and labels have pulled their albums after the fact (Ladytron, Greenday, Vice Records).

Posted by Steve on April 5, 2007 at 8:13 AM (CDT)

I have never heard of them. I should try them out.  Two questions though.  1) What is the bit rate of these MP3 files??  2) Do they have a good selection of Latin/Hispanic artists (salsa, merengue, reggaeton, etc..)???

Posted by Mike on April 5, 2007 at 10:07 AM (CDT)

I don’t know about the Latin/Hispanic artists, but you can use the link above to search/browse.

I love emusic.  The bitrate changes depending on the song, but I find it to be much much better than the (current) iTunes offerings.  Their jazz and classical selections are quite good, too (plus some albums are long with very few songs, making it an even better deal).

I really regret downgrading to the 40/$10 plan from the 90/$20 plan before the price change.  I’m not very tempted by the 100 song plan, but I don’t know if my wife would go along with it…

Posted by Redington on April 5, 2007 at 11:16 AM (CDT)

I meant that I AM very tempted by the new plan.

Posted by Redington on April 5, 2007 at 11:17 AM (CDT)

If you are just starting with eMusic, poke around on the interwebs for coupon codes. You need not settle for the standard free 25 downloads; I scored a free 100 downloads last year when I signed up, and I have seen free 50 downloads here-and-there.

Initially, I used up my free 100 songs and closed my account - and did so without a problem. Two months later, eMusic sent me a “come back to us” email with a code for free 40 songs. Bonus! In the end I had a total of 140 free songs, without paying a penny.

Since then, I have had a $9.99 subscription on and off; activating it when I have a hankering for new music.

I have never had a problem stopping a subscription and starting it back up again.
Thumbs up by me.

Posted by consumer_q on April 5, 2007 at 12:17 PM (CDT)

Emily,
Would definitely recommend.

Pros:
Pretty good selection of indie artists
No committment.
Quite a few free tracks available.

Cons:
Use the song credits or lose them each month.
For some artists, esp older ones, the version of the song is not the popular version. (so listen before you buy it)
It is decidedly indie music.

All in all, I’ve gotten to hear more artists that I probably would not have gotten into through emusic, all at $.25/song at a higher quality than itunes.  So highly recommended!

Posted by jdk on April 5, 2007 at 1:13 PM (CDT)

I would love to purchase high-quality DRM-free tracks ala carte. I do not like subscriptions where I have to allocate money out of a dwindling monthly budget whether I use it or not.

eMusic is not making ANY money from me right now. With an ala carte system they would at least be making SOME money from me.

Posted by Srornat on April 5, 2007 at 3:18 PM (CDT)

Emily,if you want to broaden your musical tastes and discover new artists there is heaps of great music on emusic try their 25 free downloads and have a look around looking at other peoples lists is also very good for putting you on artists that you might not have come across on your own, my tastes are more mainstream but i have found plenty of indie acts that also great and deserve more recognition ,currently listening to alot of the Stax catalogue and right now Brian Setzer give it a go.

Posted by Steven Bates on April 5, 2007 at 3:33 PM (CDT)

Mike,
The stuff I’ve downloaded are usually in the 192 bit rate, but when I was in eMusic a couple years ago I downloaded a couple of albums that were 320.
Give it a try, at minimum you get a couple weeks free to download stuff and you can check out the variety.

Posted by Dave on April 6, 2007 at 6:44 PM (CDT)