eMusic to focus on indies with relaunch | iLounge News

eMusic to focus on indies with relaunch

eMusic is set to relaunch their MP3 subscription service to make it easier to find independent artists and their songs. “As in its previous incarnation, the service will offer unprotected MP3 files from independent labels, a sharp contrast from services such as Apple Computer’s iTunes or Microsoft’s new MSN Music store, all of which wrap their songs in copy protection.” And unlike services such as MSN Music Store and Napster, eMusic MP3s can be played on the iPod. Subscription prices are set at varying tiers, 40 songs a month for $10, 65 songs for $15, or 90 songs for $20 a month.

« Report: Apple did not design the Scroll Wheel

Paul Frank iPod cases »

Comments

I’m very excited to see the new emusic layout. There are few names from the indie music scene joining the staff that should make the service very interesting.

By far, emusic is the best service for indie music fan and the price is good too.

Posted by Amalea on September 20, 2004 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

emusic was better when they had unlimited downloads. While i understand why they changed their policy, it seems to be too expensive to me considering they don’t have many major artists. Plus, they don’t allow you to carry over unused downloads you paid for, which is bogus.

Posted by blue demon on September 20, 2004 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

Indeed eMusic was better when it was unlimited, but it’s still pretty darn good now. At approximately 25 cents per song—with no DRM, just plain MP3—it’s an amazing deal.  While they don’t have any “major” artists, you can find a LOT of great stuff—the entire Pixies catalog, Interpol, M. Ward, and loads more.  I encourage anyone to at least try it out.  It may not be your sole source of music, but it’s an economical way to expand your collection with some great stuff, if you’re willing to explore.

Posted by Michael on September 20, 2004 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

not to mention (ooops I just did) kaskade, soulstice, thievery corp, flunk et al. This is a great way to discover new music, instead of following the latest from the flavor.

Posted by cheddar on September 20, 2004 at 7:21 PM (PDT)

Major artists? Let’s see: Steve Earle, Jesse Malin,  Velvet Crush, North Mississippi Allstars, Superdrag, Jay Farrar, Big Star, etc. The Yep Roc, Rainbow Quartz, Orchard, Parasol, Artemis, etc. labels.

By “Major artists” do you mean “major label artists”? If so, why on earth would you want to pay more for that trash than good, quality indie music? Beats me, that’s for sure.

Posted by mumpp99 on September 21, 2004 at 4:14 AM (PDT)

While there may not be a wide selection of major artists, there are in fact a lot of heavies, including 2Pac, 50 Cent, Ray Charles, Bob Marley, Van Morrison, Green Day, Bush and any more. A quick peek at the Charts page will give you a better idea of what’s being downloaded - http://www.emusic.com/charts.html

Posted by bake on September 21, 2004 at 4:15 AM (PDT)

Another thing about eMusic. You can download your music an unlimited number of times and it only counts against you the first time. This may sound like a minor thing but I have used it on more than one occasion. Many of my downloads are from back in the unlimited days…

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, the sound quality of most eMusic files surpasses the quality of most of iTunes DL’s

Posted by mumpp99 on September 21, 2004 at 4:18 AM (PDT)

what’s the bitrate?  i looked around on emusic for a while and couldn’t find it

Posted by subrama6 on September 21, 2004 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

Oooh yummy! I just checked out the new emusic which is up a day early and it’s terrific. One of my favorite bands, Airiel, has a live album up. They so rarely perform that I’m shocked to even see it on there. It will be great to see whatever new things they have up there.

I agree the unlimited was fantastic but it was unrealistic to assume any company could survive giving unlimited product each month.

For my buck $9.95 for 40 downloads is such a great deal versus iTunes. I still download from iTunes but I’ll sometimes wait for it to come on emusic ‘cause it’s just the better deal even with all the restrictions.

Posted by Amalea on September 21, 2004 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

subrama6: look here: http://www.emusic.com/help/technical.html#q9

LAME 3.92—alt-preset standard. So pretty much the best quality mp3 at the smallest size possible.

Posted by me on September 21, 2004 at 4:08 PM (PDT)

It uses VBR, that’s why you couldn’t find it.  I downloaded 2 months’ worth (80 songs) and I’d say the average is 180kbps.  Very few lower than 150.

Don’t forget the 50 song free trial, too.

Posted by Jeremy on September 21, 2004 at 5:18 PM (PDT)

and I do believe the carry over if you mean month to month.  You don’t have to d/l 90 songs in a month if you are worried about them expiring.

Correct me if I’m wrong please. I don’t ever make it to the end of the month but if I did I hope they do carry over!

Posted by krzyd on September 23, 2004 at 7:41 PM (PDT)