Energizer intros battery power packs for iPods | iLounge News

Energizer intros battery power packs for iPods

image

Energizer has announced a new line of portable battery-powered chargers for iPods, cell phones, and gaming devices. The Energi To Go Power Pack ($30) provides immediate power to iPods from four AA batteries. It works with any dockable iPod and includes a reusable charger, a dock connector tip, and four Energizer e2 Lithium AA batteries. Also announced were the Energi To Go Cell Phone Charger ($20) for various mobile phones, and the Energi To Go Gaming Power Pack ($30) for the Sony PSP, Game Boy Advance, and Nintendo DS. All three Energi To Go chargers will be available in September.

« Foxconn denies iPod factory claims

SpeckTone Retro iPod speaker system now shipping »

Comments

What they need is one device to charge everything.

I’d want a Sony Ericcson cell phone, iPod and Nintendo DS Lite charger.

Make one that can do all three and you have a sale.

Posted by ort on June 16, 2006 at 4:20 PM (CDT)

The idea here is more along the lines of finding ways to sell people their batteries. People stop buying devices that use them, make an external adapter.

Posted by Mike on June 16, 2006 at 4:58 PM (CDT)

The device doesn’t force you to use Energizer batteries. So while it may be trying to sell you on the Energizer brand name, I doubt many people really care.

Posted by Adam Cecil on June 16, 2006 at 5:33 PM (CDT)

As long as Energizer has a healthy percentage of overall battery sales (and I’m sure they do), any product that increases demand for those batteries will help them sell more batteries. (And it certainly couldn’t hurt to have the “Energizer” logo attached to an iPod.)

The problem with an all-in-one charger is the different connectors that would be required. (The iPod connector is proprietary, for example.) Not impossible to create, but it would increase cost, size, and complexity.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on June 16, 2006 at 6:57 PM (CDT)

Actually, upon further review, it might not be so hard to create a three-way product. If it’s just a small adapter between the backup unit’s cord and the unit (the white piece seen in the photo between the iPod and the cord), it might be pretty easy to sell a multi-way adapter after all. (But you could only power one item at a time.)

Posted by BJ Nemeth on June 16, 2006 at 6:59 PM (CDT)

Someone already makes one device that will charge pretty much anything.  That someone is iGo.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on June 16, 2006 at 7:17 PM (CDT)

Yes Yes.  The iGo is the freakin’ bomb diggity.  They make home and auto versions, they should definitely make a more portable version.

I have the iGo in my car, everytime I get a new phone, all I have to buy is a new tip… which is SOO much cheaper.

Posted by iScott on June 16, 2006 at 9:42 PM (CDT)

I forgot about the iGo, but isn’t that just an all-in-one charger that works from various power sources (standard outlet, cigarette lighter, etc.)? Or does it also take standard batteries to power your equipment on the go?

Posted by BJ Nemeth on June 17, 2006 at 1:43 AM (CDT)

Yep, iGo, with the purchase of a new cell phone or whatever, it always seems like a new set of charging cables need to be purchased.  I love my iGo and pitch it to my friends, and I have already done the new cell phone new tip thing once.  When I saw the Enigizer pic in the article, I thought there’d be a mention of iGo as the tip looks that same (in the pic).  As far as I know, there is no iGo that uses batteries, but if the tips are compatible…..  Though I bet if they are not, iGo could make an adaptor between the two.  I suspect that a mod could be performed to make it work.

Posted by kaioslider on June 17, 2006 at 10:34 AM (CDT)

This device is probably meant to push up Energizer battery sales. I know it sounds stupid but there might be a warning on the inside which says ‘Only use Energizer batteries’ which people will follow. It’s not completely absurd, on most branded water bottles which uou buy from a supermarket have in small lettering ‘Do not refill’.

Posted by craigb6 on June 17, 2006 at 12:27 PM (CDT)

“If ‘uz don’t, our friend da rabbit willz payz ‘uz a visit, and will brung his pals Bruno Bunny an’ Rocco Bunny wit ‘em an’ has a facial party with ‘cha…”.

Eh, intimidating, ain’t it Doc?

Posted by flatline response on June 17, 2006 at 4:16 PM (CDT)

This seems like an ok idea. Since I already have rechargeable Energizer AA batteries and the power pack. I don’t know if I’d buy it though, just because usually when something like this is released, something better pops out of nowhere.

Posted by Jonathan on June 17, 2006 at 8:51 PM (CDT)

Based on the press release, it looks like it will use interchangeable tips.

As for iGo, the SynCh Universal Sync Charger seems cheaper and less complicated. Can iGo run off USB?

Posted by Gainax on June 19, 2006 at 3:26 AM (CDT)

I wonder if this thing actually “charges” the iPod’s internal battery, or does it just bypass it like the TuneJuice?
I spent $25 on the TuneJuice and it pretty much just sits in the drawer. If they can’t get these things to actually “charge” the iPod, then they should at least design them so that they somehow clamp onto the back of the player. It can’t be good for the dock connector having a fairly-heavy battery pack dangling from it like some ugly, white turd!

Posted by karmafan on June 20, 2006 at 2:16 AM (CDT)