Engineered Audio announces RemoteRemote2 | iLounge News

Engineered Audio announces RemoteRemote2

“Engineered Audio, LLC. announced its RemoteRemote 2, the newest in RF wireless remote control for Apple

Comments

Good, it would b a lot saver if i could easily control the ipod while i’m driving without taking my eyes off the road.

Posted by proudipodowner on April 28, 2004 at 10:59 AM (CDT)

hey another accessory to be invented.

wouldn’t it be nice if i could mount the remote to vehicle’s steer wheel?

Posted by proudipodowner on April 28, 2004 at 11:02 AM (CDT)

Yeah, you know what?  After the fiasco of the RemoteRemote1 launch, I won’t be holding my breath.  First, it was released way late (I had prepaid when it was initially announced), and then after it was, there was an immediate recall.  Whee.  Then, when I finally get it…it pretty much sucks.  You have to mash the buttons on the little fob multiple times to get it to react, even when you are 1 foot away.  Then there is the dongle…what is that all about?  I still don’t get the purpose of that design.
This device has been sitting in my desk drawer since the first week I bought it last year.  I REALLY hope they improve the reception/functionality of the thing in the second release.  I was horribly let down with the first.

Posted by pod-e-mouth on April 28, 2004 at 11:25 AM (CDT)

I concur. I got the first one and it’s pretty disappointing. The range is poor and variable so it’s a big crapshoot whether pressing a button will do anything or not and the design of both the keyfob and the receiver aren’t very good. (By the way, I opened up the receiver, and was surprised to find it’s largly empty space. The electronics take up maybe 2/3 of the width of the receiver part with the sides containing mounting holes and unneccessary space. The whole thing could have been a much narrower, round design glued together.)

Looks like they’re using the same transmitter, which is unfortunate. I’ll wait to see if they’ve significantly improved the reception sensitivity or not. If they have, I’ll try and talk them into selling me the receiver only at a reduced price and use the transmitter from the first one (unless they’ve actually changed the electronics to make it a more powerful transmitter).

Posted by iRic on April 28, 2004 at 1:27 PM (CDT)

When the first one came out, I asked them about a steering wheel mount… they said they’d received lots of requests and were looking into it… guess they don’t want my money.

You could probably take the guts out of the keyfob and make something that mounts on the steering wheel, I suppose.

Posted by JC on April 29, 2004 at 9:20 AM (CDT)

I ordered one right after they said they were shipping and then they said they were backordered. I finally got one and the range was terrible and it didn’t work at all. They sent me a replacement transmitter and I’ve been happy ever since. It’s gotten to be where I won’t go anywhere with my iPod without it!

I’ve got my iPod in my shirt pocket, the dongle curves around and under so that it’s pointing up right beside the iPod and I plug my white Sony Minidisc headphones (extra short cable) in and control my music without touching my iPod.

Two things get to me, the button mashing and the battery life. Sometimes it works with one press, sometimes with two. It does work with at most two presses, but still makes no sense. It also seems like I can burn through a battery in something like 1-2 months. Don’t know if this is normal…especially since it’s a little radio transmitter, but it’s annoying to have to find a place that sells CR2032’s.

Posted by KenGent on April 29, 2004 at 8:47 PM (CDT)

Was the very first ipod market tested in Japan or else were, before it was put on the U.S. market in 2001?

Posted by perry on August 22, 2004 at 2:49 PM (CDT)