Engineered Audio Releases RemoteRemote for 3G iPod | iLounge News

Engineered Audio Releases RemoteRemote for 3G iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, July 3, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

pic Engineered Audio has announced a wireless remote for use with 3G iPods. The RemoteRemote uses RF technology to remotely send commands to iPod via its 5 button transmitter. Each button controls either Play/Pause, Next Track, Previous Track, Volume Up, or Volume Down. The RemoteRemote can transmit up to 100ft radius. The reciever unit plugs into the iPod earphone port, requires no batteries and draws power from the iPod. RemoteRemote costs $34.99 and is expected to ship in late summer. Support for older iPod models is coming soon.

« European iPod Buyers Decry Volume Limits

New 3G iPod accessories from Power Support »

Comments

This thing looks good.  It makes Dr. Bott’s version of ipod remote look like a coffee table coaster !!!

Posted by jsmoove7 on July 3, 2003 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

I don’t know about this one.  It’s a great idea but the buttons seem so small and close together.  I think they should redesign the button layout.  I’m sure I could be wrong but think about it.  Anyone who has played with the Xbox controller know what I’m talking about.  I think they need to research both what is comfortable (ergonomics) and convenient.

Posted by Johnathan J. on July 3, 2003 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

All remotes are really just luxuries seeing as they arn’t really needed on such players as the iPod because for this too become a useful item in your every day life your going to have to learn which song is in what place in your current menu , and if you have over 2000 songs its hard to know that if your playing eg. ‘Breathe’ by The Prodigy that the song you want to be played eg. ‘Diesel Power’ also by The Prodigy is 3 songs infront.

Posted by Fusen in UK on July 3, 2003 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

When will Apple and or remote makers realize that the design of their remote buttons are horrible.  They have got to start making remotes with buttons that are different shapes so that you can tell by feel which to press.

Posted by OldSkool on July 3, 2003 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

You know why this is going to be cool?
Put it on your steeling wheel, mount your ipod on your dash, and for those of us w/o luxury cars, we can now have a remote on the steering wheel with a simple velcro attachment.

Posted by Balicus on July 3, 2003 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

This remote looks pretty good. The only thing I was wondering if this is supported by Apple or if this is something that is supposedly ‘coming soon’. I know that the Apple stores are preordering the other remote so that must mean that they endorse the product, but I didn’t see this one on there.

Posted by smartwater on July 3, 2003 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

How does the receiver look like?  They only show picture of the transmitter.  Why don’t they also put picture for receiver?  Is it too ugly to show it or what?

However RF remote is cool.

Posted by jjclub in Taiwan on July 3, 2003 at 6:27 PM (PDT)

I want one for my first generation iPod!!  Although I would also like wireless headphones to go with it.  Wireless, wireless, wireless!!!

Posted by twdldee on July 3, 2003 at 10:22 PM (PDT)

I prefer the NaviPod by Ten Technology, but this seems good too. I am interested in seeing what the receiver looks like.

Posted by cozzie on July 4, 2003 at 12:11 AM (PDT)

Would the remote work when the hold button on the Ipod is pressed?

Posted by Scott on July 4, 2003 at 6:02 AM (PDT)

What’s even better is the fact its even cheaper than the wired remote (if you got a 10Gb, and it didn’t come with one, it costs $49.99 for a remote/headphone combo), and I’ve heard people have really had problems with the wired one, as its cord is just way too long.

Posted by Sraphim on July 4, 2003 at 6:44 AM (PDT)

Uhhhh….the wired remote and headphone combo is still 40 bucks…same price as this wireless thing…

Posted by Rob on July 4, 2003 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

With a nice shortened pair of headphones like the Sony MDR-EX71 (which I highly recommend) I find the remote length just right.  However you are right, the headphone cord along with the remote was just way too long.

Mike

Posted by vanillamike on July 4, 2003 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

1] its fugly and looks cheap!
2] all remotes should have LCD displays + backlit like most of Sony CD + MD players at least so you know what the hell you are doing
3] who cares if the receiver gets power from iPod if the transmitter need extra batteries to run!
4] With iPod’s small footprint and weight, is it really neccissay to have a separate wireless remote? why not just carry the damn thing with you?

thinktwice

Posted by thinktwice on July 4, 2003 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

This is great IF it it is meant to be portable. IE the reciever needs to be really tiny and light. I am really betting my cards on this thing.

Why do they only have the 3G version now? So many more people have 1 and 2G iPods.

Posted by s_n_m on July 4, 2003 at 6:54 PM (PDT)

If it works well, I’ll definitely buy one of these. I carry my keys with me all the time, so when I’ve got the iPod in its dock, hooked to the stereo, I just need to reach into my pocket to activate it. That’ll be nice! thinktwice, I think it’s a bit impractical to expect a wireless remote to have a LCD display plus backlight AND no batteries. It DOES need power from somewhere.

Posted by Adrian on July 5, 2003 at 8:46 AM (PDT)

I like the Dr.Botts One.
Dr.Botts Product has way cooler design and function…

Posted by 20GB iPod in Canada on July 6, 2003 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

Yea, Dr.Bott’s NaviPOD looks cooler—too bad it is IR. I definitely prefer RF.

Posted by Splitpea on September 16, 2003 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

One problem I can see with RF is that in my dorm, anyone with this remote is going to be controlling my iPod. The IR one will be limited to the room its in.

Posted by podjoy on September 17, 2003 at 7:21 PM (PDT)