Enhance your MP3s with DFX | iLounge News

Enhance your MP3s with DFX

I just found a way to energize the MP3s on an iPod. I copied all of my iPod songs onto my hard drive and re-encoded the files with the DFX Audio Enhancement plugin at 192kbps. Now I can hear every detail in the music on my iPod. It makes even my MX400 Sennheiser in-ear headphones sound amazing. Tracks without the DFX plugin sound dull and boring. I also tried the Slic Sound add-on earpieces and they make my MX400s have an almost audiophile quality.

Editor’s Note:  The DFX plugin is not available for iTunes, but supports most popular music management software on Windows like Musicmatch, Media Jukebox, WinAmp and more. DFX 6 is a free download with limited features, and DFX Enhanced is on sale for $19.99.

« Boston Globe: New iPod is not necessarily improved

XPlay Giveaway »

Comments

Sounds like a commerical…  smile

Posted by contagion in FL USA on June 1, 2003 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

or a commercial, whichever you prefer… wink

Posted by contagion in FL USA on June 1, 2003 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

no try the free version and re-encode one track and see if it makes a difference. i can hear all the parts in the music now. the free version is good enough to make a huge difference in the music.

Posted by Ben on June 1, 2003 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

I was just wondering… What settings you use in DFX and how you encode the mp3. I dled the plugin but how do you encode them.

Posted by Sam Stringer-Hye on June 1, 2003 at 5:40 PM (PDT)

I encode all my files at 192kbps and just re-encoded them at 192kbps with the ‘Apply active signal enahncement’ box checked. Choose the dfx preset you like first. I used the Metal/Hip Hop Big Bass preset. Try one track first. I loved the results.

Posted by Ben on June 1, 2003 at 5:49 PM (PDT)

i dont see that box anywhere, did you buy the full version and also what are you using it for? WMP, Winamp, etc…

Posted by Sam Stringer-Hye on June 1, 2003 at 7:14 PM (PDT)

Re-Encoding a MP3 does not add back original quality although the DFX plugin adds its own effects it will not restore the orignal quality.

Posted by MusclePup on June 1, 2003 at 8:39 PM (PDT)

how do i encode them

Posted by lakerslover on June 1, 2003 at 8:57 PM (PDT)

I used musicmatch and clicked on convert file. That’s where you’ll see the ‘Apply active signal enahncement’ box.

Posted by Ben on June 2, 2003 at 3:43 AM (PDT)

what version

Posted by ari on June 2, 2003 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

Does anyone else get distortion and clicks at periods of more intense sound? I’m gussing it’s just my laptop’s crappy sound card. I’m going to try it out on one file when I get my iPod again and see if the same problems are coming up on my iPod.

Posted by monkeyking84 on June 2, 2003 at 4:22 PM (PDT)

How do you re-encode your MP3’s with DFX using Windows Media Player 9?

Posted by Uzi on June 2, 2003 at 5:21 PM (PDT)

I’ve never got the clicks but maybe you are encoding too low quality a file. Maybe try encoding a CD track at 320kbps and then encode it with DFX at between 192-320kbps and see if you get the same results.

I’ve never used anything but Musicmatch to encode files.

Posted by Ben on June 3, 2003 at 3:46 AM (PDT)

No, I get them off EAC-encoded mp3s at 192 VBR. Should be very high quality.

Posted by monkeyking84 on June 3, 2003 at 5:24 AM (PDT)

The cracks and pops happen to me too. Try turning off 3d surround and ambience. Also it seems to do it more in Winamp than in Musicmatch. Now to encode them. Where exactly was “said” button. In Musicmatch window, in the DFX window, or in some drag down tab?

Posted by OkAndroid on June 3, 2003 at 5:41 AM (PDT)

After you’ve installed DFX, go to ‘File’ on musicmatch and then go down to ‘Convert Files…’ The box to check is at the bottom left corner once you’ve selected ‘Convert Files’ and the menu opens. I didn’t change the files that I have on my computer. I only changed the files copied off my iPod. When I listen to the music on my iPod now I can hear things in the music that I couldn’t. You can hear each instrument clearer and if you listen to hiphop you’ll hear all the little details that you couldn’t hear before. Don’t put all the settings on full. Listen through your headphones or speakers on your computer and adjust the settings to what you like so you don’t add too much of any setting. Am I the only one who has had success without any clicks/noise in their files?

Posted by Ben on June 3, 2003 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

No you don’t get those unless you turn on 3d Surround, and Ambience. I hate these two settings because they make this “echo” sound to it. I highly reccomend turning up the fidelity, I used the “80’s Music - Grunge” setting and turned off both the Surround and 3d Setting and it sounded fine. Sometimes I get fed up and just turn it off, because I can’t find the perfect balance. Also I plan on getting an iPod within the next month, I was wondering if the 15gb iPod is really worth the extra 100 dollars. Thanks all.

Posted by OkAndroid on June 3, 2003 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

I bought the 10G and a week later learned you can’t keep it from getting scratched (plus I filled it up with music) so rather than spend 40 bocks on a case I got traded for the 15G that comes with a case (it’s not the best case) but I loveit. Now back to the DFX I’ve tried the demo it sounds great.. But has anyone used the full version at a 128 bit rate? Does DFX really sound as cool on the Ipod with those cheesy earbuds?

Posted by prisoner on June 3, 2003 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

ooh the dfx (for musicmatch) sounds horrible (sorry) and its got a huge distortion on it, and i’m getting rid of it now

Posted by ti on June 3, 2003 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

I got rid of it after a while, I just got pissed off at trying to find the right setting. But is the case and space the only problem with the 10gb? Cause i have 8gb of files, i dont think i could fill 10gb. that would be like another 20 albums. And I could always delete some.

Posted by Sam Stringer-Hye on June 3, 2003 at 2:10 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >