Epic Games president questions next-gen consoles
In a recent interview with IndustryGames, Epic Games President Mike Capps made several statements questioning the validity of next-generation gaming consoles in light of the advancements being made in mobile gaming, and more specifically by Apple. “Before the problem was between the consoles and PC where they had very different levels. The power of your PC could be 100 times the power of somebody else’s PC. This time the problem could be mobile. If you look at the ridiculous acceleration of iPhone hardware and technology, trying to find a sweet spot for tech to make your mobile game… I mean, what would your mobile game look like in 2015? Who knows how fast that’s going to operate, but you can bet it’s going to be faster than an Xbox 360,” said Capps.
He continued, “So I think that’s the real challenge for us now, rather than worrying about the difference between a couple consoles and some order of magnitude, whether 3X or 4X. It’s about how do we deal with iPhone 8… if you watch where the gamers are going that’s where they are. Your iPhone 8 will probably plug into your TV, or better yet, wirelessly connect to your television set to give you that big screen gaming experience with good sound. So really, what’s the point of those next-gen consoles? It’s a very interesting situation to be looking at. That’s what we’re starting to think about more… not how do we scale from some Nintendo platform to some other future console.” Notably, wireless gaming is already possible between the iPad 2 and the Apple TV via AirPlay in iOS 5. [via Cnet]
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Sprint, UK’s EE add Wi-Fi calling with iOS 8.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.3, iCloud Photo Library comes out of beta
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?