ESPN, ABC Sports, more come to iTunes Music Store | iLounge News

ESPN, ABC Sports, more come to iTunes Music Store

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, January 3, 2006
News Categories: iTunes

The Disney ABC Television Group announced today that it plans to add a slew of new programming to the iTunes Music Store. The new offerings will come from ESPN and ABC Sports, ABC Entertainment and Touchstone Television, ABC Family, ABC News, Buena Vista Television, Disney Channel, SOAPnet, and Walt Disney Feature Animation. The content will be a mix of free and paid downloads.

ESPN and ABC Sports are offering condensed versions of all four BCS Bowl Games from ABC Sports. Yesterday’s Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and Nokia Sugar Bowl will be available today, while today’s Orange Bowl and tomorrow’s Rose Bowl will be available the day after they air. Other ESPN content will be available later this month, including the “Best Of The X Games,” ESPN Classic’s “SportsCentury” interviews, “This is SportsCenter” commercials, and “Knight School,” the forthcoming reality program featuring Texas Tech basketball coach Bobby Knight.

Also available later this month will be ABC Family’s original series “Wildfire,” Disney Channel’s animated series “Kim Possible” and “The Proud Family” and SOAPnet’s original biography series “Soapography,” as well as ABC’s “America’s Funniest Home Videos” and the popular 1970’s Saturday morning “School House Rock” vignettes and episodes of Buena Vista Television’s “Ebert and Roeper.”

Classic animated shorts produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and featured on Buena Vista Home Entertainment’s upcoming “Disney at the Academy Awards,” including the 1933 Academy Award-winning “The Three Little Pigs” and the 1935 Academy Award-winning “The Tortoise and the Hare,” will also be available.

In addition, free video podcasts from ABC News will be available on iTunes, including daily segments from “Good Morning America” and the “World News Tonight” webcast, as well as ABC News Now’s “Money Minute,” “Medical Minute” and “Buzz Cut.”

« Mix: Film festival, Artist podcasts, Data recovery, Apple history

iSee 360i adds video recording, playback to iPods »

Comments

In my opinion, time shifting and editing sports is a no-no, but to each their own, I can see watching last night’s complete episode of Lost, but not yesterday’s highlight reel.

Posted by WldKt in United States on January 3, 2006 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

I watched taped games all the time.  I think it’s a great idea.  I think putting out free episodes of Sportscenter would be even better.  I hope they don’t end up thinking it’s a bad idea just because a lot of people won’t pay 1.99 an episode/game.  If they lowered the price this could be really big and lot more people would buy them.

Posted by Jeff on January 3, 2006 at 2:19 PM (PDT)

I’ll pay $1.99 for the Rose Bowl if it’s not a 5 minute canned highlights package.  It should be a condensed game without commercials lasting for at least an hour.  Sorta like what ESPN Classic does (minus the commercials) when they replay instant classic football games.

And nobody is going to pay $1.99 for last night’s SportsCenter broadcast.  Those should be free just like the ABC newscasts will be.

Posted by SJR on January 3, 2006 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

the prices for shorter videos should definately be lowered

Posted by miscblogger on January 3, 2006 at 5:38 PM (PDT)

I’m excited about the Ebert & Roeper show being on iTMS. Here’s hoping that when they launch, they offer the recent “Best of 2005” show, as well as the always-hilarious annual “worst of” show.

I guess it’s too much to hope that Disney would offer the original version of “The Three Little Pigs” short, which contained ethnic stereotypes that were later excised.

For me, there’s only one thing that’d get me to buy a video iPod—Five words: Downloadable Three Stooges on iTunes.

Posted by yarudora on January 3, 2006 at 8:14 PM (PDT)

I’m excited about the news webcast! I love watching the news podcasts on my iPod, even better if there’s a video one finally. NBC Nightly news with brian williams is a great podcast, but unfortunately the webcast is only available online and not on iTunes yet. (audio only so far)

Posted by Zaki Q on January 4, 2006 at 1:02 AM (PDT)

hi
I is love to like the ipod so who is lisd is I to me so me cpome?

frmes
              michaelR

Posted by michael robinson on January 4, 2006 at 6:55 PM (PDT)

This sounds like a great idea, but I can’t find it in Itunes.  Where should I be looking?

Posted by Jim on January 4, 2006 at 8:10 PM (PDT)

HOLA!

Posted by HK on January 30, 2006 at 8:13 AM (PDT)