Euro iTunes Music Store this spring? | iLounge News

Euro iTunes Music Store this spring?

“Kenswil [Universal Music’s eLabs president] spoke at the well-attended Music and Technology conference at the Royal Society in London yesterday. His assessment of a Q2 rollout for Apple’s music store was shared by representatives from BMG, EMI and other smaller labels represented at the show who were spoken to by Macworld.

He said: “As far as we know, the deals for Europe have been done, all the agreements are in place to introduce services here.”“

« Teski debuts new iPod roadie case

Lajo announces exo3 thin case for 3G iPods »

Comments

But how about Canada?

Posted by Tantousha on January 16, 2004 at 11:37 AM (CST)

eh?

Posted by gustafks in Minneapolis on January 16, 2004 at 11:50 AM (CST)

I bet my iPOD it won’t be the equivalent of 99 cents a go though!

Posted by mindracing on January 16, 2004 at 11:59 AM (CST)

Sa bit of a coincidence that this news comes on the same day the british courts decided that file swappers should be sued. and where do all primarily english speaking companies launch their products in europe? yup, the UK…...

Posted by meatmcguffin in plymouth, england on January 16, 2004 at 3:33 PM (CST)

Mindracing - you’re bloody right it won’t. I wager 99p, which for the Americans reading is the equivalent of $1.78 (roughly). Great service, but if I’m right, bum deal :(

Posted by bobsyerunkle on January 16, 2004 at 4:04 PM (CST)

If it was going to be the equivalent of 99 cents in the UK then that would be cool, but I agree I’m sure there will be a price increase. The music companies go on and on about how people downloading music illegally is killing their business (like their getting poor) but if they just provided reasonably priced legal downloads then Im sure piracy would decrease loads.

Is it just me or is that too much like common sense?

Posted by Olivia on January 17, 2004 at 4:41 AM (CST)

Even if the price is 99p (song) and

Posted by bryan on January 17, 2004 at 6:30 AM (CST)

No way it’s going to be equivalent to 99 cents in britain.
Firstly, they have got to think about vat which adds about 20 cents.
Currency, fluctuations means that price will go up or down by around 10% for exports, meaning that that will be another cost that needs to be accounted for
Secondly, europe is considered as one region, so the cost for the regionalisation of songs (in terms of translating song titles, lists , distribution, marketing etc) will be passed on to UK buyers
Allthis and other factors, which are too droll to talk about will probably mean that songs will be 0.99 pounds in uk and 1.49 euro’s in ireland

Posted by tariq on January 17, 2004 at 11:02 AM (CST)

Great news.
Hopefully, the extra competition will mean that prices will decrease drastically.
But I still won’t use it. Let me explain:
Firstly, I like the idea of holding a tangible product in my hand. Called me old fashioned (hey, only 21), But I get almost much a thrill from seeing the collection of my music building as I do listening to the music. I want the artwork the lyrics, the sleeve as much as the music.
Also the bit-rate is just nit good enough. Don’t believe the hype, Aac is NOT cd quality. Close, but no cigar. Quality also depends on the encoder, almost as much as format, and the Itunes encoder is weak. I would rather suffer inconvenience for a superior product. My thoughts. Please dis or agree. CONSENSUS IS BAD, VARIETY IS GOOD. Peace

Posted by Taz on January 17, 2004 at 11:15 AM (CST)

Bryan, just a quick question, where do you buy your music from?? I never pay

Posted by Olivia on January 19, 2004 at 2:18 PM (CST)

will the music downloaded from coke’s website work on an ipod?

Posted by jperacha in London, UK on January 19, 2004 at 3:35 PM (CST)

Well, I think it will work with ipod, It depends on the rights I think - someone of them say they that you can’t download it to mp3 players but some are fine (i was going to download justin timberlake and it said it was fine to put on.) My friend says that shes done it so… You can just buy one song at a time so if it doesn’t work then its not a huge waste of money.

:-)

Posted by Olivia on January 20, 2004 at 9:00 AM (CST)

following from mycokemusic.com

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately the iPod does no support the correct version of DRM (Digital
Rights Management) the component that we use to support the licensed media
of our download format.  We are looking into making the 2 systems compatible
in the very near future.

I am sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Regards,

Ian
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Head Support Engineer
On Demand Distribution

Posted by jperacha in London, UK on January 20, 2004 at 9:05 AM (CST)

Is the Coke music site back up? It was down for the last few days due to “technical difficulties”.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 20, 2004 at 9:17 AM (CST)

Hadn’t read this before signing up for coke’s site, downloading, then finding I couldn’t convert to AAC or MP3 because of DRM.

Tried something else - you can burn to CD from Windows Media, then import to iTunes.  Bit of a long way around though!

Posted by Ben on May 3, 2004 at 12:05 PM (CDT)