European iPod Buyers Decry Volume Limits | iLounge News

European iPod Buyers Decry Volume Limits

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, July 3, 2003
News Categories: iPod

There is considerable discussion on Apple’s iPods discussion boards from European owners of new iPods regarding volume limitors that are present in the European models—but not in US models.

Because of EU health regulations, European models are not capable of producing the same volume levels as their US brethern, causing considerable indignation from buyers who were not made aware of these limits.

Apple has not responded to any user feedback or comment on the subject, nor have any fixes been offered by the company or users.

iPod advertising, packaging and user information makes no note of these limits.

« Peter Frampton touts iTunes

Engineered Audio Releases RemoteRemote for 3G iPod »

Comments

I have just returned my ipod to John Lewis on saturday and told the customer services rep the volume issue. They were very understanding, took the ipod back and promised to escalate it with apple.

Posted by Dimma on July 8, 2003 at 3:44 AM (PDT)

I’ve had mine for 2 months. Too late for PCWorld’s return policy. But i have phoned PCWorld up and they are sending a complaint to Apple on my behalf.

Posted by nutz on July 8, 2003 at 4:38 AM (PDT)

Actually for those in the UK, you might be able to get the retailer to take it back by claiming that the devide “is not fit for its purpose” (saw this on TV not too long ago, also someone else spoke about this either here or in the forums) as you can’t hear your music in the tube/bus/plane/whatever.

If you really want to excahnge it and the retailer is not having nay of it, start talking about trading standards, small claims court etc and see what reaction that provokes.

BTW I’m keeping my iPod - for me the good points outweigh the bad ones, and I’m hoping that sooner or later there will be a solution to this annoyance (either from Apple or elsewhere).

Posted by kristofer on July 8, 2003 at 4:58 AM (PDT)

is it possible to buy an usa ipod and use it france ?
would the adaptater work?
i want to buy a non cap ipod, but dont know where, and if it would work.

Posted by obside on July 21, 2003 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

yes it would and mail me if you want details of where from!

Dave

Posted by troublemaker on July 21, 2003 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

I have got the US ipod last week when I went to NY and I can tell you that there is a definite improvement in dynamics and volume. Now this is worth the money! UK ipod owners, if you have an option available to you to return your ipods and get US model I can only but recommend it.
By the way the region codes discussed previously (US model has value LL(0x0001) the Model Number reflects that too (in About menu) as mine is M1234LL and in UK models is M1234B (numbers changed for paranoid reasons). I do not know if this helps in any way but for those determined to hack the hex you may need to look at the various things where the LL or B is referred to as I have a slight suspicion that the Region Code is set by the ipod updater once it reads out the model number from the chip?!? Dunno…

Posted by Dimma on July 22, 2003 at 12:32 AM (PDT)

where could i buy a us ipod on the net , and be shipped to france ?

Posted by Obside on July 22, 2003 at 12:51 AM (PDT)

@troublemaker:

as i understood you managed to override the european firmware with the us file.

how did you do that? you guys wanna know how i use my ipod? with a self-built amplifier, since it can’t drive my senheisser hd25! the amp is very nice, though.. smile -> http://www.headwize.com/ and check for chu-moys amp.

anyway, if i would have know how low the volume on the ipod actually is, i wouldn’t have spent the money!

the two wav-files of yours btw have very different characteristica all in all, not just in the volume, sich is totally strange. they both hit 0db, but the average of before is -11db while the average of after is -5db. a 6db difference is heard as twice as loud by your ear and needs 10 times as much amplification.

/atom

Posted by atom on July 24, 2003 at 6:47 AM (PDT)

@Pac3r:

argh! mixed up the posts.. you were the one who brushed out the cap..

Posted by atom on July 24, 2003 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

How can I find out if the ipod I buy has a volume cap???
Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Posted by Sho on August 3, 2003 at 2:46 AM (PDT)

I FIND THE VOLUME ON THE IPOD FINE…STOP MOANING!!!...UNLESS YOUR STANDING NEXT TO FOGHORN.IT’LL DO FOR ME.AND YOU…IVE BEEN TO METALLICA CONCERTS (PRE BLACK LP)...AND IM GLAD THERES A LIMIT!.......MY ONLY PROBLEM WITH THIS GREAT MP3PLAYER IS SOME SONGS RIPPED FROM MY CD JUMP

Posted by TEOTORRIATTE2004 (LEE) on June 24, 2004 at 8:10 AM (PDT)

so for you the vol is fine - fine for you.
i am not so glad my ipod came with a cap. my home stereo doesn’t have a cap, none of my walkman used to have a cap and i would really like to be free to use a better headphone with my ipod if i desired to do so.

headroom is neccesary for almost every technical device. that is a simple fact. use or misuse is my very personal business.

and btw: go out with some classical music on your nice ipod or try it with some cds that were originaly recorded some years ago for vinyl releases and post back here that you still think your ipod is fine.

also this discussion was about “volume cap and what to do against it”. it wasnn’t “what do you think about enforced volume regulations in your expensive personal equimpent”.

think!

Posted by atom on June 24, 2004 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

oh, dear gozorak, you must be jesting.  I assume you are writing from the US and that is hilarious to me, as we certainly do have more laws protecting us from ourselves than any other “free” nation in the world.
Perhaps you missed the memo about US PATRIOT, too?

Dream on.

btw, does anyone know of any actual differences in processor speed and/or internal memory between the 2 & 3?  thanks

Posted by Chuklz8 on December 23, 2008 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

Page 6 of 6 pages « First  <  4 5 6