European iPod Buyers Decry Volume Limits | iLounge News

European iPod Buyers Decry Volume Limits

There is considerable discussion on Apple’s iPods discussion boards from European owners of new iPods regarding volume limitors that are present in the European models—but not in US models.

Because of EU health regulations, European models are not capable of producing the same volume levels as their US brethern, causing considerable indignation from buyers who were not made aware of these limits.

Apple has not responded to any user feedback or comment on the subject, nor have any fixes been offered by the company or users.

iPod advertising, packaging and user information makes no note of these limits.

« Peter Frampton touts iTunes

Engineered Audio Releases RemoteRemote for 3G iPod »

Comments

Can someone provide a US IPod G3 serial number please ? It has been suggested that changing the region code to ‘LL(0x0001)’ alone has some benefit but I’m not too sure.

Posted by warthog on July 4, 2003 at 2:41 AM (PDT)

If anyone doesn’t belive the volumn cap exists then I will send me two recorded files off a song playing befour the limit was taken off and after it was taken off and I cna tell you now is a huge diference.  Also the serial and region coee have nothing to do with the limit, the only way of getting rid of it is as it explains above removing the limit file from the Device folder

Posted by Fusen in UK on July 4, 2003 at 2:49 AM (PDT)

Hi - what is the easiest way to ensure that a model is US and not European - is there a difference in model number or is it purely a serial number based difference?  If I were to buy it from a US supplier, I want to be able to prove that they have not just sent me something from a European warehouse.

Thanks
9L

Posted by 9lives on July 4, 2003 at 3:11 AM (PDT)

Fusen is right. Scrapping the Limit file from the device folder does work. That’s fine for G2 iPods.

Not that simple for Euro G3s, I’m afraid.

In the spirit of Thomas Edison who said before inventing the lightbulb “I’ve never failed. I know 2000 ways NOT to make a lightbulb.”—I know now a few things that DO NOT impact the Euro G3 Volume Limit (on Windows Devices): Mainly the configutaion of the Systems and/or Preference files in the Device folder. Changing the country codes, SSNs etc.. have no effect. In fact removing the files
al together has no audible effect on performance (although there MUST be some, I suppose). I’m not surprised. But it was worth a try.

Curious to hear from folks what else definitely does NOT work from a fix standpoint on the Euro G3s—process of elimnation here.

Of course those with a actual fix are certainly invited to contrbute!

Posted by Sam Martin on July 4, 2003 at 3:42 AM (PDT)

Mr Fusen, it is confusing the issue talking about G2 when the main issue ifor Euro G3. G3 does not have a limit file and has a region code unlike G2.

G3 US serial number please.

Posted by warthog on July 4, 2003 at 3:46 AM (PDT)

One more thing ... iTunes has a functionalty that allows users to control volmue somewhat.  Every little bit helps. Does anyone know of a similar software tool that does this for Microsoft iPods. MusicMatch and Real Player do not. I’m not talking about levelling, I’m talking about volume boost.

Posted by Sam Martin on July 4, 2003 at 3:47 AM (PDT)

I’ve sent a hopeful letter to [url=http://www.theregister.co.uk]http://www.theregister.co.uk[/url] to see if they will publish the story and get some comment from Apple.

Posted by Chris Matchett on July 4, 2003 at 5:06 AM (PDT)

Yeah i think [url=http://www.theregister.co.uk]http://www.theregister.co.uk[/url] would be useful as they like to uncover unfair practices in the computer industry.

I suggest others do the same.

Posted by warthog on July 4, 2003 at 5:11 AM (PDT)

Just sent a newstip/letter to el reg as well (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) in fact).  Good idea.

Shame there isn’t just a “Limit” file to get rid of, as for gen2 :(

Posted by kristofer on July 4, 2003 at 5:43 AM (PDT)

I want to hear these two recordings so I can understand what you people are complaining about.

Posted by Rob on July 4, 2003 at 6:02 AM (PDT)

I’ll upload the two sound files when I get home from work, but I sent them to iPodlounger yesterday and even he said what a huge difference it is. Also sorry warthog, as you said I wasn’t actually tlking about the G3 only G2 but thats my fault as I dont really like the G3 because of my jealousy of them having more options hen G2 and apple not updating the firmware shame on me lol

Posted by Fusen in UK on July 4, 2003 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

i have a g2 usa and a g3 europe and i cannot hear any difference, i think its just a bit of moaning going on, if its that bad get some more sensitive headphones

Posted by ti on July 4, 2003 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

I would agree ti.  I have listened to a G3 US and Euro model.  Apple tell me that there is no difference in volumes, however Euro iPods have to adhree to higher noise interference levels than the US ones and I guess that’s where people get the wrong end of the stick regarding volume caps.

Posted by Sir Alien on July 4, 2003 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

“Apple tell me that there is no difference in volumes…..”. As far as i know Apple have kept a stony silence on any complaints on this issue and haven’t even the decency to respond. Weird how they apparently deigned to respond to you though.

Quite a few people have returned their ipods and Apple are getting bad publicity so if there was no problem you would have thought they would be keen to respond to reassure us. But no.

Posted by Diamond on July 4, 2003 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

” however Euro iPods have to adhree to higher noise interference levels than the US ones and I guess that’s where people get the wrong end of the stick regarding volume caps.” Sir Alien

Would you please clarify this. Are you stating that the European IPod is engineered differently than the US one?

What are “noise interference levels”?

Us humble types who can’t hear our music as a truck rumbles by would like to understand how we are getting the wrong end of the stick?

Pac3r

Posted by Pac3r on July 4, 2003 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

I simply called Apple support, their number is in the box.

Posted by Sir Alien on July 4, 2003 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

well….

select all the songs, get info (apple + i)
and you can set the volume to a higher volume your ears can bear

***

Posted by Daniel vdR on July 4, 2003 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

Maybe Apple are “in denial”.

That last bit of advice from Daniel I think is only for itunes on a mac. Itunes isn’t available on a PC.

Posted by Dickhead on July 4, 2003 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

I uplaoded the recordings…

It was simple recordings using microsoft sound recorder located in start > accessories > Entertainment

on both recordings I started the ‘sound recorder’ then played the song at full iPod volumn you will EASILY be able to tell the difference when you here it.

I recommend listenign to befour first lol

Posted by Fusen in UK on July 4, 2003 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

Sir Alien, I haven’t heard more tosh in ages. I have read your comments and I wonder if you work for Apple or just too ignorant? I have g2 ipod with limit taken off and from recently g3 bought in UK. The difference in sound volume is very noticeable. I have called apple support too and they have kindly responded that they are aware of the issue but could not help me. I have decided to return my ipod to John Lewis store simply because I am not happy for somebody else deciding for me. I am quite capable of doing that myself and therefore going to buy ipod in new york next week.

Has anyone read anything more arrogant than sir alienís comments or is it just me? I suppose that he can afford it as he, himself is unaffected by this issue. God, heís annoying!

Posted by Dimma on July 4, 2003 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 6 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »