European iPod Buyers Decry Volume Limits | iLounge News

European iPod Buyers Decry Volume Limits

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, July 3, 2003
News Categories: iPod

There is considerable discussion on Apple’s iPods discussion boards from European owners of new iPods regarding volume limitors that are present in the European models—but not in US models.

Because of EU health regulations, European models are not capable of producing the same volume levels as their US brethern, causing considerable indignation from buyers who were not made aware of these limits.

Apple has not responded to any user feedback or comment on the subject, nor have any fixes been offered by the company or users.

iPod advertising, packaging and user information makes no note of these limits.

« Peter Frampton touts iTunes

Engineered Audio Releases RemoteRemote for 3G iPod »

Comments

there is but I’m not sure about this but I think its true that the Apple eurpean mean distrubution place is in ireland as that is where all the iPods bought from Apple’s site are sent then from Ireland they are sent to there final destination so if this is true and its there main/only place then its going to be more hassle and costly for them to sort through only sending limited volumn iPods to french area’s this means they need to make only a certain number of iPods with the limit cap and if French sales go down they have lsot alot of money making sure that only a few have the cap on, or they can do what they do now and put a cap on a larger number of iPods so then they don’t have to worry if French sales go down they cans tills end out the iPods to other european countrys and don’t have to filter through the iPod’s to only send capped ones to France

Hope you understand that lol or get the main point from it =S

Posted by Fusen in UK on July 5, 2003 at 6:35 AM (PDT)

Right.

I have a euro 15gb. I changed the phones to the etymotic ER4P’s which are noise cancelling (and 200!!!!) however they are not loud enough for me….....they are no good if you walk a lot though as they pick up interference from the cord - but they are WICKED!!!!!!

anyway - that is personal preference.

Well i also got confirmation from apple UK support that there is a limit on euro ipods and you “cannot remove it”.

Apple have refunded me - i was on day 13 of 14 money back.

I have obtained a SEALED NEW US model for 70 LESS than the euro one. So - i WILL be in a position to advise you of the difference soon!

Posted by troublemaker on July 5, 2003 at 6:57 AM (PDT)

Wot did you fly to the US for it or get it mail order from the US if so through who ?

Posted by drumstick on July 5, 2003 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

Its getting fierce on the Ipod discussion board on the Apple board.

Posted by Soupdragon on July 5, 2003 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

If you follow the link at the top of the page that says “possible solution” there is details.

i have sourced a supplier who will for about 230 shipped send out new sealed US 15gb’s.

PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT GREY IMPORTING MYSELF - merely passing on info!

D

Posted by troublemaker on July 5, 2003 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

I would suggest telling the media about the Euro vol cap problem, here for example:

and the Watchdog TV program. See the BBC web site.

I think it would be good to get the national press involved too.

Posted by Soupdragon on July 5, 2003 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

You guys are funny, you are gonna tell the media and make a big deal out of the fact that your iPods dont get as load as our US iPods.  Come on,just use some of the solutions up above, and get over it.  I was actually on your side until you guys got so dramatic, just chill, enjoy what you have, and have some fun, dont worry about what you dont have.

Posted by Rob on July 5, 2003 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

What a tosser. Most of these ‘solutions’ are for G2 not G3.

Posted by Boulder on July 5, 2003 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

@Rob

Actually I would have returned my G2 IPod if I had been stuck with the UK Volume level.

It was “unfit for purpose”. I don’t want to listen to the tube, I want to listen to my music.

Even the US version is rather quiet compared to Creative products. Still the design is excellent.

To those who have the G3. I would do as others have done and return it stating “unfit for purpose” and getting a US model or waiting for the Yepp.

At the end of the day, it’s a walkman not a religion. wink

Pac3r

Posted by Pac3r on July 5, 2003 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

Just been thinking about this (Apple’s appaling attitude to it’s customers) as a problem to be solved…

Now I’m not a creative type myself so I would be unable to create the “copy” but I think humour might be a better way to approach this.

A couple of funny pseudo Apple brochures selling the advantage of the Euro-Ipod…

“Relive the golden days of your youth with I-Pod… Just like living with Mom and Dad, you can’t play your music at a decent volume”

“Mac-arthy ism ... Let the state decide ”  (possibly taking the p*ss out of that sacred Mac Icon the Big Brother Advert…

You get the idea. Make ‘em witty enough and they will do the rounds on their own wink

Pac3r

Funk ‘em if they can’t take a joke

Posted by Pac3r on July 5, 2003 at 10:08 PM (PDT)

“...waiting for the Yepp” what is this please ?

Posted by Raspberry ripple on July 6, 2003 at 12:03 AM (PDT)

Might be a nice idea if Philips & Iriver etc offer special discounts for dissaffected Euro Ipodders.

Posted by Raspberry ripple on July 6, 2003 at 12:04 AM (PDT)

@raspberry

The Samsung Yepp. It was due out this month but the threat of a court case from Apple for it being a “clone” of the iPod has delayed it’s release until September…

Looked pretty cool too.

Pac3r

Posted by Pac3r on July 6, 2003 at 12:08 AM (PDT)

Might be nice if Samsung also offered a discount to dissaffected Ipodders. I’m sure they would get a lot of people moving. I wonder if Samsung had to modify their design to keep Apple happy ? Do you have a link for any spec info on the Yepp ?

The Philps & Iriver new hard drive Mp3 players look interesting too.

Posted by Raspberry ripple on July 6, 2003 at 12:12 AM (PDT)

and it’s also mentioned a couple of times in the portable audio section of [url=http://www.gizmodo.com]http://www.gizmodo.com[/url]

The original specs etc are now gone from the samsung site.

wma, FM radio and cheaper than iPod.

The styling isn’t as cool as iPod. But then, you can’t have everything, where would you keep it all?

Pac3r

Posted by Pac3r on July 6, 2003 at 12:24 AM (PDT)

Anyone care to bet if the folks working on the European Apple Help Desks personally own the US or European G3 models .... hmmmm

Posted by Sam Martin on July 6, 2003 at 1:06 AM (PDT)

Discounts for Philips…

Nah…  If I were on the Philips marketing team I’d go more for a package deal with a washer-drier and Phil-pod for a discount price. (good excuse to talk the mrs into a new toy)

Marketing slogan “The Whirlpool washer-drier, quieter than an iPod or your money back”... fnar fnar

Pac3r

Don’t ever loose your sense of humour.

Posted by Pac3r on July 6, 2003 at 1:07 AM (PDT)

well…..

i got the DISTINCT impression the helpdeskers in the UK apple store (in ireland) were sick and tired of this. I was allowed a refund due to being in mr 14 day period - however the tech guy raised it as a call so i had 30 days not 14….....(staturatory rights in uk). The guy (alan IIRC) was very helpful - explained to me that yes apple uk knew, didnt really say much about apple us, he agreed there “have been other people affected” by this cap…........

Posted by troublemaker on July 6, 2003 at 1:18 AM (PDT)

It would also be interesting to know if euorpean magazines provided with iPods for review are being given Euro iPods. No?

Pac3r

Posted by Pac3r on July 6, 2003 at 1:20 AM (PDT)

@troublemaker

I thought UK Trading Standards say that you have one year to take back goods that are “not suitable for purpose”. Just say you couldn’t hear a 300 quid portable music player on the train when a 15 quid tandy personal cassette player can be heard. QED

Pac3r

Posted by Pac3r on July 6, 2003 at 1:29 AM (PDT)

Page 4 of 6 pages « First  <  2 3 4 5 6 >