Exclusive: First movie of new iPod photo transitions | iLounge News

Exclusive: First movie of new iPod photo transitions

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Thursday, March 24, 2005
News Categories: iPod

iLounge is pleased to provide a downloadable QuickTime movie clip (.MOV format) of the new photo slideshow transition effects available to iPod photo owners. The transitions, which were added in today’s release of iPod Software Updater 2005-03-23 and its included iPod photo system software version 1.1, are as follows: Push Across, Push Down, Wipe Across, Wipe Down, and Wipe From Center. There’s also a Random effect, which chooses from the five transitions at random. All of the transitions are smooth, and as you can see in the video, look great.

Previously, the only transition available was Wipe Across, and the new transitions continue to add only two-dimensional effects to the iPod photo’s arsenal. Three-dimensional transitions such as Droplet, Mosaic, and Page Flip in Apple’s Mac OS X application iPhoto, are unlikely to appear on current generation iPod photo hardware. See our earlier news story for additional interesting details.

« Windows: Anapod Explorer 8.7.2 released

PodShirt offers iPod shuffle toting T-shirts »

Comments

This sounds great ! Let’s update my firmware !
Glad to own an iPod photo 4OGo…

Posted by nabot44 in Nantes on March 24, 2005 at 2:50 PM (PDT)

blegh.. wtf was that? a 3gp file?

I suggest using real photos that contrast with each other too, those images were so similar you could barely notice what the transition was. Or maybe it was the Circa 1997 encoding.

Posted by seven5 in richmond on March 24, 2005 at 3:23 PM (PDT)

I look forward to going home and uploading the new software for my 60GB iPod.  The only thing missing is being able to connect the iPod Photo to a TV while having the cover art and muisc info display across the screen.

Posted by LDRiPod in Redondo Beach on March 24, 2005 at 3:49 PM (PDT)

I was really hoping for a feature that allowed the iPod to have the backlight always on when plugged in, but on a 10-second timer when on battery power.

My phone can do it, I don’t see why my iPod can’t.  It would make it so much cooler in my car.

Oh well, maybe that is something to look forward to in 1.2.

Posted by mrn121 in Fairfax, VA on March 24, 2005 at 4:20 PM (PDT)

mm121 - agreed.  That’s exactly the feature I would like too, and seems that it would be a pretty easy feature to add.

I have become very fast at going to Settings > backlight though….. smile

Posted by bobarito on March 24, 2005 at 5:07 PM (PDT)

LDRiPod - yes, I want that too.

Posted by Nagromme on March 24, 2005 at 5:28 PM (PDT)

That had to be the worst online video i have ever seen. Who uses the Video codec any more?

Here is a tip for your encoding settings iPodlounge:

Video Track: 320 X 240, Sorenson Video 3, 32 kbs, 25 fps, keyframe every 50 frames.
Sound Track: MPEG 4, 32 kbs, Mono, 24 kHz.

With these settings your videos will look and sound clear as well as being tiny in file size.

Posted by Sol in Brisbane, Australia on March 24, 2005 at 8:24 PM (PDT)

Soi: If by “tiny” you mean more than 4 times the size of the file we have online, then sure, the resulting file is tiny. But with the settings you provided, the file was 2mb - not a size we want to host for download.

We weren’t looking to recreate the movie Gladiator here, just do a simple show of transition effects. But thanks for the tip.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 24, 2005 at 10:11 PM (PDT)

I too would like to have seen backlight on when plugged in, especially when I hace it in my car connected to the IceLink.

I hope Apple read these threads.

Posted by Deggy in Staffs on March 24, 2005 at 11:19 PM (PDT)

bleh, that video is crap. i have to bring my face up to my screen just to almost see what’s going on, and even then i can’t really tell..

with all of the great encoding tools on the market now, i think you can host a better one than that.. if not, why bother?

Posted by Kloan in Toronto, ON on March 24, 2005 at 11:38 PM (PDT)

Hopefully this update won’t wipe all the album art off of my iPod again…:P

Posted by tantousha in Vancouver, Canada on March 25, 2005 at 12:24 AM (PDT)

Thanks for the small video. It shows what the transitions are just fine, and it isn’t useless for modem users like a big video would be.

Posted by Nagromme on March 25, 2005 at 4:09 AM (PDT)

Another vote for a backlight on when powered option! Also, please let me set which playlists the top-level “Shuffle” menu item applies to. Since my iPod has kids music on it too, selecting that menu item produces less than ideal results. Ex: Bright Eyes followed by Oscar the Grouch. wink

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on March 25, 2005 at 4:30 AM (PDT)

Ok, if you wanted a MOV close to 500 kb but with better looking video try encoding with these settings:

320 X 240, Sorenson Video 3, 8 kbs, 12 fps, keyframe every 50 frames.

Posted by Sol in Brisbane, Australia on March 25, 2005 at 5:07 AM (PDT)

For everyone asking for an always on Backlight just press and hold the menu button. It will stay on, I think, until you press and hold menu again. Much easier than going through the menus.

Posted by graphicgeek in Utica, NY on March 25, 2005 at 5:33 AM (PDT)

I thought the video served its purpose. It wasn’t supposed to show much except for the transitions which I was able to see just fine. If other people are so worried about the video, why don’t you just wait and update the firmware so you can plug your iPod into your TV and get the best video you can!!

I understand the difference between hosting a 2mb and a 500k file ... I have seen how sluggish this site can get due to high volume, do you people who are griping about a silly video want that?

I suppose if you have alot of bandwidth, I’m sure ipodlounce wouldn’t mind mirroring a larger video with your bandwidth smile

okay enuf of that

Posted by maxrebo in Mankato, MN on March 25, 2005 at 7:06 AM (PDT)

No star wipe?

Posted by Zer0cool in Cold City AntArctica on March 25, 2005 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

if file size was an issue, then maybe the new transitions shoudln’t have been shown like 3 times each, it was a bit long for its purpose anyways.

Posted by seven5 in richmond on March 25, 2005 at 8:17 AM (PDT)

Drop the video already!!

Posted by bobarito on March 25, 2005 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

“Drop the video already!!”

Ditto

Not a big deal, really. I really care much more about the fact that I don’t have an iPod “color” yet.

Posted by maxrebo in Mankato, MN on March 25, 2005 at 3:48 PM (PDT)