Exclusive: Griffin to unveil AirClick wireless gear, SmartDeck adapter | iLounge News

Exclusive: Griffin to unveil AirClick wireless gear, SmartDeck adapter

picGriffin Technology will unveil a handful of new, innovative iPod products at next week’s Macworld Conference & Expo in San Francisco. The company will first introduce its AirClick line of wireless accessories and then show a new cassette adapter with new-to-market features.

pic The AirClick Remote will allow users to control their iPod (play/pause, next/previous, volume up/down) from up to 60 ft. away. It will use RF technology (as opposed to IR), so users will not have to be in the line of sight for it to work. In addition, the AirClick system will be compatible with the iPod photo, enabling users to advance pictures wirelessly. The AirClick will come in two flavors—one for fourth-generation iPods and one for iPod minis—and will ship with a remote, receiver, a remote cradle and straps for attaching it to an automobile steering wheel.

picPrimarily designed for controlling iTunes, Griffin’s AirClick USB dongle plugs into a Mac to allow users to control certain tasks remotely. The product will ship with presets for Apple DVD player, iTunes, Keynote, PowerPoint, QuickTime and VLC. The company plans to market the solution (remote and dongle) as an excellent addition to Apple’s Airport Express with AirTunes. The AirClick USB product will also be able to control iTunes while it is in the background (behind other applications).

pic Also at the Macworld event, Griffin will debut the SmartDeck audio cassette adapter for third- and fourth-generation iPods as well as iPod minis. The new accessory will allow users to use their own stereo’s transport buttons—such as fast-forward, rewind, next song, previous song, etc.—to control an iPod. The SmartDeck should be compatible with virtually any cassette deck. The final version of the product may also ship with other features such as the ability set the iPod’s volume for optimum output.

Expected availability and pricing was not available.

Click “Read more” for larger photos.

pic

pic

pic

pic

pic

« HP announces HP-branded iPod photo

Forbes: ‘Apple bites the fans that feed it’ »

Comments

Does the airclick have a jack?  Also, will the USB dongle be Mac only?  Seems shortsighted if it is, considering the massive Win base iTunes has.

Posted by stark23x on January 7, 2005 at 3:29 PM (CST)

How do you connect airclick to the car audio system?

Posted by locklin on January 7, 2005 at 3:44 PM (CST)

Very impressive… We’ll see when it all actually ships.  :D

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on January 7, 2005 at 3:49 PM (CST)

what would really be insanely cool is if the airclickalso worked as an itrip!

Posted by wezman2k on January 7, 2005 at 3:55 PM (CST)

Now THESE are pretty smart accessories! I’m glad I waited and didn’t get another remote.

Now I can control my iPod OR my PowerBook’s DVD player from the same remote!

But will AirClick have pass-through ports on top for iTrip? The two together would be great in my car.

And the casette thing is cool too… if only I had a casette player in my car…

Posted by Nagromme on January 7, 2005 at 4:57 PM (CST)

Does it also work in the 3rd Generation iPod?
How Much?

Posted by Derek in Chicago, IL on January 7, 2005 at 5:33 PM (CST)

...Also, the smartDeck might make the Cassette player in my Jeep worthwhile again.

Posted by Derek in Chicago, IL on January 7, 2005 at 5:52 PM (CST)

Doh?  I don’t get it.  Why add an extra remote to the ipod when it works so well as a remote control itself??
Griffin should have made airclick a wireless sender with a better range and quality than their current FM transmitter.

Posted by wickedbob on January 7, 2005 at 6:29 PM (CST)

Those look pretty darn cool.

What I’d really like to see is wireless headphones.  Nothing bugs me more than having to carry wires around, especially when they get caught in things or pulled further than they are supposed to go.  It would be great if there was a little device the size of the iTrip that you could plug into the iPod to transmit the signal and then a seperate wireless headset to go on your head.  Has anyone heard about anything like this being developed/already available?  (Apologies if this has been discussed to death already.)

Posted by iPodGirl in Canada on January 7, 2005 at 6:30 PM (CST)

Well I just ordered the U2 iPod (I’ve had every iPod generation except the iPod Photo and iPod mini) since red & black are my favorite colors and it would be awesome if they made a special red & black Airclick remote and receiver.

Posted by PrimalTheory on January 7, 2005 at 7:33 PM (CST)

RemoteRemote has had their “AirClick” out for a while.  Works great, very inexpensive, I have the RemoteRemote2; I love it.  So why when Griffin brings out a copycat product years later, do they get all the airplay here?  Their iTRIP sucks, horrible interference, poor audio quality etc…if that’s any indication of what we can expect from the AirClick, I’ll pass…RemoteRemote comes in white or black as well…

Posted by One Fast Haybusa in Montreal, Quebec, Canada on January 7, 2005 at 10:08 PM (CST)

SmartDeck is a great idea - but it looks like it will only work in the headphone jack. It would be much better if it supported line out, as available via pocketdock or the sik din / sik imp.

Posted by krex on January 7, 2005 at 10:45 PM (CST)

I like RemoteRemote as well, and would consider one. As for “copycats,” I’d love to see LOTS of remotes to choose from, personally. I’m surprised there have been so few for so long.

The reason AirClick gets the airplay on this page is that… this page is about AirClick :D

And for me, the ability to ALSO control my Mac, which RemoteRemote 2 does not have. I’d still consider RemoteRemote 2 if Griffin’s price is too high or other gotchas emerge.

As for iTrip, I have it, and it works so well I sometimes use it out of sheer wireless convenience even when I DO have a line-in option. Sounds excellent in a car with good speakers, and virtually zero interference even in an urban area—once you find a clear station and follow the directions, such as setting the volume to about 2/3 on the iPod. I really like the compact size and the iPod-based interface—even though changing channels is rare. 87.7 is almost always clear, I find.

BTW, I think the black RemoteRemote 2 (last I checked) had a black remote, but the piece that goes on the iPod is still white.

Posted by Nagromme on January 7, 2005 at 11:08 PM (CST)

very cool stuff!

Posted by dfbills in NYC on January 7, 2005 at 11:49 PM (CST)

“Exclusive?” Playlistmag.com seems to have scooped you on this one… saw it on that site early this morning.

The SmartDeck seems like a killer product for those of us who don’t want to have to install some kind of expensive adapter.

Posted by audiogeek on January 8, 2005 at 2:23 AM (CST)

Airclick looks killer to me. Been looking for a wireless remote to whip out in town, and to use in bed at home with my pc.

Good lookin

Posted by XanDaMan on January 8, 2005 at 3:41 AM (CST)

I’ve been waiting for a wireless remote for 3 years! I hope the remote is very tiny.

Posted by minty on January 8, 2005 at 10:54 AM (CST)

NaviPod (IR), NaviPlay (Bluetooth, if it’s out yet), and RemoteRemote / RemoteRemote 2 (RF) are other alternatives—and they have very tiny remotes. I hope AirClick does too.

Posted by Nagromme on January 8, 2005 at 11:32 AM (CST)

I just checked PlayListMag - they have pricing (but no images):

* AirClick for iPod + remote: $39.99

* AirClick for Mini + remote: $39.99

* AirClick for Mac USB + remote: $39.99

Thankfully, if you want iPod AND Mac control and don’t want to spend $80 for two remotes, you can get a Combo package for just $10 more (in iPod and Mini flavors, I assume):

* AirClick for iPod + Mac USB dongle + remote: $49.99

The price is right for me. I’ve been using my wireless trackball to control DVDs on my Mac. I almost bought a Bluetooth remote control for it. But for just $10 this will do the trick.

Posted by Nagromme on January 8, 2005 at 11:52 AM (CST)

I’d love to see it work with windows too!

Posted by XanDaMan on January 8, 2005 at 12:15 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >