Exclusive: Griffin to unveil AirClick wireless gear, SmartDeck adapter
Griffin Technology will unveil a handful of new, innovative iPod products at next week’s Macworld Conference & Expo in San Francisco. The company will first introduce its AirClick line of wireless accessories and then show a new cassette adapter with new-to-market features.
The AirClick Remote will allow users to control their iPod (play/pause, next/previous, volume up/down) from up to 60 ft. away. It will use RF technology (as opposed to IR), so users will not have to be in the line of sight for it to work. In addition, the AirClick system will be compatible with the iPod photo, enabling users to advance pictures wirelessly. The AirClick will come in two flavors—one for fourth-generation iPods and one for iPod minis—and will ship with a remote, receiver, a remote cradle and straps for attaching it to an automobile steering wheel.
Primarily designed for controlling iTunes, Griffin’s AirClick USB dongle plugs into a Mac to allow users to control certain tasks remotely. The product will ship with presets for Apple DVD player, iTunes, Keynote, PowerPoint, QuickTime and VLC. The company plans to market the solution (remote and dongle) as an excellent addition to Apple’s Airport Express with AirTunes. The AirClick USB product will also be able to control iTunes while it is in the background (behind other applications).
Also at the Macworld event, Griffin will debut the SmartDeck audio cassette adapter for third- and fourth-generation iPods as well as iPod minis. The new accessory will allow users to use their own stereo’s transport buttons—such as fast-forward, rewind, next song, previous song, etc.—to control an iPod. The SmartDeck should be compatible with virtually any cassette deck. The final version of the product may also ship with other features such as the ability set the iPod’s volume for optimum output.
Expected availability and pricing was not available.
Click “Read more” for larger photos.
- Nest Protect alarm returning to stores with lower price
- Samsonite acquires Speck Products for $85 million
- Beats introduces new Solo2 headphones
- Apple confirms Beats Electronics acquisition for $3 billion
- Blog spotlights risks in cheap, counterfeit iPad chargers
- Gibson buys Philips’ Apple accessory brand, Woox Innovations
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks