Exclusive Pictures: Apple’s iPod Photo | iLounge News

Exclusive Pictures: Apple’s iPod Photo

piciLounge is proud to present the world’s first independent pictures of the new 60GB iPod Photo, the premium color-screened iPod announced yesterday and released today by Apple Computer, with its packaging. Use the Photos link below to see our photo gallery.

The gallery includes pictures of the iPod Photo’s remarkable new screen, which is far crisper and brighter than we had imagined it would be, and a variety of the new color applications included with the hardware. Our first screenshot of the iPod Photo’s new Photo menu shows the menu choices available to the user, and you can also see the unit’s new cables, Photo Dock, and all of its packaging. Notably, the iPod Photo is the first to include Apple logo stickers, which used to be packed-in only with Macintosh computers.

pic

pic

« Apple iPod Photo now available at Apple Stores

Apple sees growth in music downloads »

Comments

I’m underwhelmed.  I’ll wait until the color screen filters down to the cheaper models in a year or two - the photo thing looks like an elaborate gimmick.

Posted by I, Claudius on October 27, 2004 at 6:55 PM (CDT)

ipod will soon be able to play video, the ipod photo has the capability all it needs is the firmware update, which im sure apple will come out with soon….

Posted by the fiz on October 27, 2004 at 7:05 PM (CDT)

Will this new iPod be able to play movies? Is the processor powerfull enough?

Posted by chacham15 on October 27, 2004 at 7:12 PM (CDT)

this thing is gonna be thick…

Posted by j-tizzle on October 27, 2004 at 7:20 PM (CDT)

The thing is thick, and not in a good way.  It feels heavy and uncomfortable holding it, but I’m used to 20GB thinness.

The screen looks great though, and is viewable with the backlight off which is nice.  Thumbnails take a while to load.  I forgot to see if there are zoom/size viewing options, but viewing pics that aren’t around the same ratio as the screen looks really tiny, especially portrait photos.

Posted by P on October 27, 2004 at 7:46 PM (CDT)

Forgot to mention that text on the screen isn’t really sharp though.  Apple uses anti-aliasing for font display, much like OSX, but it’s inferior, if not far inferior, to ClearType from Microsoft.  So text is kind of blurry.

Posted by P on October 27, 2004 at 7:50 PM (CDT)

I’d like to see an ipod with a sirius satellite radio receiver.  kind of like the thing xm put out recently, but i don’t think that’s an mp3 player.  ipod and howard stern…the wave of the future.

Posted by brian guettler on October 27, 2004 at 8:02 PM (CDT)

I thought this would be awesome, but looking at the specs, I think I’ll pass.
It seems the only good thinks to come out of this are the extended battery life and being able to view album art.

And by the way, someone mentioned
having to scan all of their CD covers.
No need to. Just get your cover art from AMAZON.com :)

Posted by JC on October 27, 2004 at 8:29 PM (CDT)

“I’d like to see an ipod with a sirius satellite radio receiver”

It’s only a matter of time. XM has released a “Tivo” handheld for their service. Lets you store up to 5 hours of downloaded content.

Posted by satellite of love on October 27, 2004 at 8:29 PM (CDT)

“Will this new iPod be able to play movies? Is the processor powerfull enough?”

Given that the 4-year-old Archos player can do 30 frames per second video playback (and it was originally designed only to play audio) and its has a CPU around a fifth as powerful as *one* of the *two* processors in the iPod, I’d say that the iPod could definitely play back video.

So the qhe question is not whether it can, but whether it is allowed to and Apple manages to get around Steve Jobs’ weird and obsessive diktat that there be no video on iPods.

He has invested a lot of his credibility in constantly denigrating video playback, especially the Microsoft portable media players, that it will take a while for Apple to browbeat hij into okaying it.

But they could add video to iPods with a simple firmware update.

Of course, given that Apple has been incredibly stingy with using firmware updates to add features to older iPods, I think the only way you’ll get video is on a new future iPod.

Posted by video on October 27, 2004 at 8:34 PM (CDT)

That does it, I need one!

I’m reaching for my wallet with one hand and doing the Dr. Strangelove with the other.

Remember that this is for VIEWING YOUR PHOTO LIBRARY. Something I and many people want to do—especially on TV with music.

If that’s not YOUR need, this isn’t the iPod for YOU. Unless $100 is worth extra battery life, album art, and a color interface.

Re OS X font smoothing: set it to “best for LCD.” For some unknown reason, that’s not the default.

Re using the screen without the backlight: yes! Like any iPod, it will look better with the light on.

Posted by Nagromme on October 27, 2004 at 9:36 PM (CDT)

That does it, I need one!

It’s not meant as an accessory for your digital camera on the road. That would be cool for some people, but SHOWING photos is much more universal.

Posted by Nagromme on October 27, 2004 at 9:43 PM (CDT)

I also am underwhelmed…when will Belkin make a strap on for XM or Sirius…though I would prefer Sirius…more NPR stations.

Posted by kaio on October 28, 2004 at 1:00 AM (CDT)

Taking sooo long for the photos to open ...

Posted by Nobody on October 28, 2004 at 2:00 AM (CDT)

Posted by Alex on October 28, 2004 at 2:13 AM (CDT)

I cant see the photos…

Posted by tysoh on October 28, 2004 at 2:16 AM (CDT)

good one apple.. but im not just about to drop my 3G. I agree with the person that said instead of color.. why dont you add FM/Satellite reciever on to the damn thing. Then i’ll ponder on wheather or not to get rid of my baby 3G.

3G’s still kick arse!

Posted by madonna on October 28, 2004 at 2:17 AM (CDT)

“I Just got the 60GB iPod Photo from the Apple Store here in Chicago and I do have to say that it is AWSOME. I had just bought the 40GB iPod 2 days ago but, when I saw this new iPod I went back to the store to exchange it. The iPod Photo is a tad bit thicker than the standard 40Gb 4th gen ipod but, it compinsates by having a longer battery life, color screen, and the ability to vew your photos on your iPod.”

Pics?

Posted by Nobody on October 28, 2004 at 2:49 AM (CDT)

To heck with AM / FM or XM! Who needs it?

We only need one thing from Apple and that’s GAPPLESS PLAYBACK!!!

Posted by Ichijoe on October 28, 2004 at 3:44 AM (CDT)

Can anyone tell me if the new photo ‘pods with their extra mm thickness are compatible with dock speakers such as the AL inMotion or Bose sound dock?

Posted by Pete on October 28, 2004 at 3:53 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >