eXopod debuts aluminum iPod nano case | iLounge News

eXopod debuts aluminum iPod nano case

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, October 24, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

imageeXopod has introduced a new machined aluminum case for the iPod nano and has provided iLounge with a first look. The $39.99 case, which is held together with strong magnets like the company’s iPod shuffle case, features a plastic screen protector, foam padding, access to the hold switch, and will accommodate 90 degree headphone jacks and oversize jacks. eXopod said the case may also come with a lanyard. The company said the case in the photo is was not yet anodized because it was the first case made, and that the anodized cases will look much better with no tool marks.

« Microsoft VP: We’re ready to work with Apple on Xbox 360

iPod owners among internet’s ‘most prolific influencers’ »

Comments

Shame their site is down.

Posted by scott on October 24, 2005 at 2:47 PM (PDT)

Anyone else concerned about the strong magnets?

I’ve seen this usage in their previous case too, and have no desire to get these cases anywhere near my iPods!

Maybe their using “safe” magnet fields….

Posted by taffinito on October 24, 2005 at 3:32 PM (PDT)

The magnets do not interfere with the memory of the nano. I read an article about magnets and flash memory that said something like “If a magnet was strong enough to interfere with flash memory, it would be strong enough to take the iron out of your blood”. We have not ever had any problems or complaints.

-eXopod

Posted by eXopod on October 24, 2005 at 3:46 PM (PDT)

the site is back up

Posted by rocky on October 24, 2005 at 4:01 PM (PDT)

exopod,

I’m glad you haven’t had any complaints….but strong magnets can interfere with circuitry, and strong magnets can certainly interfere with all the magstripes on my credit cards that I keep in my pocket….which is also where my shuffle goes.

Again, I’m glad you’re having success….but I certainly won’t be buying magnetized products for any of my pocketable devices, or any devices I might leave lying around where a dv tape, portable lcd,  or credit card can be placed next to it.

Posted by taffinito on October 24, 2005 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

taffinito, magnets can only interfere with magnetic media. I definitely wouldn’t use a magnetic case on my iPod, but should I have a nano, I wouldn’t feel insecure in using this case. As far as I’m concerned, they don’t interfere with circuitary, but I am open to being proved wrong, I can’t be bothered to find out!

If, by your logic, magnets interefere with circuitary, why do you keep your shuffle in the same pocket as credit cards, as they are magnetic (also why magnets interfere with them).

In saying that, I’ve kept my iPod ontop of a subwoofer for quite sometime, without realising what I was doing, and it never affected the data…

Posted by Howard on October 24, 2005 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

great looking case but the magnet thing is too scary and too big a risk for me to buy one.

Posted by iGod on October 24, 2005 at 5:35 PM (PDT)

How strong is the plastic on the screen? Is it a thin layer which is only there to protect scratches, or is it strong enough to protect the screen from getting crushed?

Posted by Lucky on October 24, 2005 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

Just an FYI, You need a hell of a strong magnet to wipe / interfere with credit card / striped card information. Do a search, mythbusters did an indepth deal on this and it took a rediculously strong magnet to do any sort of damage. Something you couldn’t get at say a store.

Posted by Ryan on October 24, 2005 at 5:47 PM (PDT)

“The only magnets powerful enough to scrub data from a drive platter are laboratory degaussers or those used by government agencies to wipe bits off media. “In the real world, people are not losing data from magnets,” says Bill Rudock, a tech-support engineer with hard-drive maker Seagate. “In every disk,” notes Rudock, “there’s one heck of a magnet that swings the head.”

Source: http://msn.pcworld.com/msn/article/0,aid,116572,pg,1,00.asp

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on October 24, 2005 at 7:11 PM (PDT)

Oops, pasted the wrong portion:
“Fortunately, most modern storage devices, such as SD and CompactFlash memory cards, are immune to magnetic fields. “There’s nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won’t do anything,” says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. “A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells,” says Frank.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on October 24, 2005 at 7:11 PM (PDT)

Any plans to incorporate a belt-clip?

Posted by erayser on October 24, 2005 at 9:57 PM (PDT)

sorry on the belt clip. not any time soon buddy.

Posted by exopod on October 25, 2005 at 6:33 PM (PDT)

Man, just TRYING to find a halfway decent hard case for the nano…what a chore.

What’s this…the bowtie look? Dog biscuit-around-the-neck? The wide angle(?) shots on their site bring one ‘word’ to mind:

Eeyyuuuuwww.

Oh, and LOVE those machine tool marks. Seems we just can’t get away from that distressed look of the late ‘90s. Break out the chains and whips and ball peen hammers!

Me thinks me like the form of the A1 “keychain” better for myself, though I don’t like the comments I’ve read about that case actually scratching the nano in use, or the reports of some headphones not working with the cutout that A1 provides.

NEXT.

Posted by flatline response on October 26, 2005 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

Did you even read the article? The machine marks are only on the first case because it hasn’t been anodized.

As for the magnets, what would possibly make people think that the magnets are strong enough to cause damage to circuitry? You wouldn’t ever be able to pull them apart if they were that strong. Stop believing in all those urban legends. People used to believe that cellphones cause credit cards to be erased

Posted by wowie on October 27, 2005 at 4:29 PM (PDT)

Agree with Flatline…

Can there be no “simple” solid case without all the razzle dazzle?

Great idea!!
Great craftsmanship!!
Less-than-desirable shape??

Posted by wtfdood on January 13, 2006 at 6:43 PM (PDT)

i dont know where to find this case can someone help me!! i think it is sweet!!!!!

Posted by rene on February 15, 2006 at 12:29 AM (PDT)

oops my email address is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by rene on February 15, 2006 at 12:30 AM (PDT)