Facebook app adds Places, background uploads | iLounge News

Facebook app adds Places, background uploads

Facebook has released an update to its iPhone and iPod touch application adding support for its new Places feature and improving iOS4 multitasking support. Introduced by Facebook earlier this week, Places is a new location-based social networking that allows users to register their presence at physical locations in a manner similar to services such as Foursquare and Gowalla. Facebook 3.2 provides a new section on the home screen for accessing the new Places location feature and integrates GPS location services support to allow users to view nearby places from within the app, check-in at various locations and view friends’ locations. The new version can also now continue photo and video uploads in the background on iOS 4 multitasking-capable devices and adds the ability to set the privacy of individual status updates and see all recipients of inbox messages. Facebook 3.2 is available from the App Store as a free download. The Facebook Places feature is presently only available in the U.S.

« iPad wait times drop, iPhone 4 to follow?

Nintendo NES games return to App Store »

Comments

Its not working in my area yet.  I get a message that it will be available in my region soon.  I am in New York City.

Posted by Joe on August 19, 2010 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

@Joe: Me too, and I’m in Chicago.  It must be a sporadic rollout.

Posted by Brianbobcat on August 19, 2010 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

Facebook pushed version 3.2.1 this morning with “bug fixes.” Did this fix the issue for you guys? Or anyone else?

Posted by Dave on August 19, 2010 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

I just updated to the latest version. Places says “Coming soon” and I am in Washington D.C. It is hard to believe New York, Chicago and D.C. would not be part of the first wave…

Posted by Mitch on August 19, 2010 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

It’s still says “Coming Soon” for my area too, I’m in Redwood Valley in Northwestern California, 120 miles northwest of San Francisco in Mendocino County.

Posted by Mike on August 20, 2010 at 2:36 AM (PDT)

places is working fine on my 2G iPod touch

Posted by Micah on August 20, 2010 at 6:44 AM (PDT)

Mine read “coming soon” as well yesterday (Pasadena, CA) and today it’s on.
Not sure I’m going to use this, but it appears to be on now.

Posted by sb on August 20, 2010 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

It’s saying I’m still in a location that is six hours from where I’m at.
I tried everything, I have been away from the location it’s telling me
I’m at for over a year. ?? What’s wrong??

Posted by Aaron on September 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM (PDT)