FaceTime missing from UAE iPhone 4 units | iLounge News

FaceTime missing from UAE iPhone 4 units

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, September 24, 2010
News Categories: iPhone

The official Twitter account of du, an iPhone carrier based in the United Arab Emirates, has confirmed that FaceTime will be unavailable in the UAE when the phone launches tomorrow. “Our iPhone 4 customers won’t be able to make Facetime calls, as this feature is currently unavailable in the UAE,” the company said. In later updates, it apologized to customers who were upset that the feature had been withheld, and repeatedly said “it’s not in our hands.” TUAW notes that its report from earlier in the week suggested the feature may also be missing from iPhone 4 units sold in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan, Egypt, and Yemen.

« Still time to enter the RF3 Envi Earphone Giveaway

SpeakerCraft rolls out speakers for iPad, iPhone, iPod »

Comments

I just wanted to clarify that in Qatar, Vodafone did not request the future to remove.

Voip is not illegal and Qatar is an open society so religion isn’t a reason either.

Facetime does work on phones here that do not have the feature removed.

It seems that Saudi just removed the feature because we are close to Saudi or something. What logic is that?!

Posted by Kei on September 25, 2010 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

if this is a case of a government removing features, then Apple should stand up and do the right thing and not sell the phones in that specific country.

Posted by Neil on September 26, 2010 at 5:37 AM (PDT)

@#2,
it’s not Apple’s responsibility to creat/alter policy in that or any other country. That’s up to it’s citizens. Just as it’s up to the women there to fight if they don’t want to be living under barbaric (by our standards) treatment by it’s men under the name of religion.
Apple has no responsibility in this case to do such a thing.
I sure as heck don’t want China dictating rules here.

Posted by Sb on September 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

Another great thing about the middle east!

Posted by Dick Bacon on September 27, 2010 at 5:44 AM (PDT)

i just activated facetime on my iphone4 purchased from du two days ago. first i clicked on general-phone-reset, reset all settings, after the settings were reset, i clickedgeneral-phone-reset, reset network settings. fortunately it worked for me. i can now make facetime calls to my contacts on iphone4

Posted by af on September 27, 2010 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

@af:

what was your iOS version?

Posted by iOne on September 28, 2010 at 1:49 AM (PDT)

What’ the ios version then?
It seems some buyer got the phone with face time features, only in case update to lates ios. The feature will missing, so means the initial ios is not v4.1 ?

Posted by Toney7901 on September 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

@af this method did not work for me. I guess u did this on ur OS 4.0.2.

So basically we are all stuck with no facetime on upgraded version. if anyone finds a solution please do post. Meanwhile it will be good if everyone lodges an official complaint to etisalat and du.

Posted by velocitee on October 1, 2010 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

I have iPhone4 but not found FaceTime
Is there a solution please ?

Posted by Abaadi on October 5, 2010 at 6:04 PM (PDT)

I learned that the hard way , I bought 5 Ipod Touch G4 Today and after setting them up , I found out that they dont have FaceTime , I bought them for me and my kids to use the FaceTime ,  I really feel Apple cheated us here , without saying anywhere even in the site that Ipod will not have facetime in UAE ,

the problem we cant returen it after opening it ,

it cost me around US$ 1800   and I feel I lost that money for usless Ipod

first thing i will do now is to cancel my Imac i7 Order that will cost me 4500 $  . second will never buy for me or family any apple product

Posted by Sultan on October 6, 2010 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

Tango is FaceTime alternative. It works on wifi and 3G network. You can download it from App Store

Posted by Amir on October 12, 2010 at 11:17 PM (PDT)

I paid $950 for my iPhone in dubai and now that I am back home in the us I was expecting FaceTime to work once I plugged my AT&T sim card but it did not.  I whipped the phone clean back to factory setting but no luck, it looks like apple has disabled FaceTime perminatly on all phones sold in that stinky part of the world.  Apple sticks and so does the middle east.

Posted by Breckstone on February 1, 2012 at 5:10 AM (PDT)