FastMac offers ‘longest lasting’ iPod Battery | iLounge News

FastMac offers ‘longest lasting’ iPod Battery

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, June 20, 2005
News Categories: Repair

FastMac has announced a new iPod battery upgrade that offers up to 70% more capacity than the original battery and up to 7.5 times as many charge cycles, according to the company. “This is accomplished through the use of patented nanoparticle technology code-named ‘TruePower,’ which significantly slows the degradation of the battery,” says FastMac.

The upgrade is available for 1G/2G iPods ($39.95) and 3G iPods ($29.95), and comes with a 2-year warranty. The company said necessary tools and installation instructions are included. FastMac also offers an iPod upgrade service for an additional $49.95, which includes prepaid shipping and professional installation.

« Sony BMG, EMI offer iPod-incompatible CDs

Mix: Shuffle damage, CD Baby, Food and Wine, Paris, Office »

Comments

hey what about my 4g? I guess I’m not going to have a battery failure (which is when I would bother putting in a new battery) any time soon but I’d like the option anyway.

Posted by jmaurand on June 20, 2005 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

jm,

I suspect a replacement battery option for the 4G will show up within the next year or so, or when heavy users finally use up the recharge cycles on their 4G units.

Posted by flatline response on June 20, 2005 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

looking forward to a review of this product

puck

Posted by Puck in washington dc on June 20, 2005 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

The pricing for these batteries are something else, considering the level of performance that’ promised.  Sounds like a winner solution as long as the batteries really do hold up as advertised.

If this is the Real Deal, I certainly hope they’ll take this technology and apply it to other devices; I know of a certain Blackberry 7100t that certainly could use a swift kick in the behind when it comes to battery charge life.

Posted by flatline response on June 20, 2005 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

This looks awesome, I ordered one for my 3rd gen 10GB iPod after reading up about it on their site this afternoon.

Posted by null on June 20, 2005 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

I’m going to have to add that macsales.com has just as a good deal - I paid 25 bucks for my re-placement battery for my 3rd Gen. Ipod. I have to say that I noticed the change in the battery usage instantly. I think it all matters in how much you are willing to spend on your ipod. For me, $25 for the battery, 15 minutes to open and install the battery w/ a how to video, was ALL worth it.

Posted by Julio on June 20, 2005 at 6:31 PM (PDT)

This is the 1st time I have EVER seen a 2 year wty on a li-ion battery pack. Insane. If they can do this with other batteries do you have any idea what will happen?

Posted by Paul Watson on June 20, 2005 at 7:23 PM (PDT)

Macsales batteries are a joke. I purchased 3 awhile back and only 1 is still in “usable” condition . I am going to try fastmac out and replace the 2 dead ones and see what happens.

Posted by ripvanryan on June 20, 2005 at 7:31 PM (PDT)

Any way that this will be available in the UK?  The shipping is double the cost of the battery.  What a rip-off!

Posted by Tony on June 21, 2005 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Hmm… I checked out the website and it doesn’t even say how long the batteries last in “real time”. This looks shady or sloppily done if you ask me.

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on June 21, 2005 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

Yeah, this looks to good to be true.  I want to know just how long this “new” battery will last.  I got one of those new 850mah bats about 2 months ago, and the bloody thing lasts no longer than the old original battery, which was old, and charged up every 3 days for nearly 2 years.  5-6 hours is what I got, and I get the same with the “new” one to.

If this “newer” type of battery lasts 8-9 hours, then great, as soon as I can get one at a reasonable shipping charge, then I will get one.

I have done a test BTW on just how the iPod draws power from its battery.  The test results on this site are VERY strange indeed.  I cant see how they can control what the iPod draws from the battery, this smells of Bull.

Posted by Tony on June 21, 2005 at 5:43 PM (PDT)

I think this is legit. Their site is actually pretty thorough. I’m not a battery expert however it sounds like they know what their talking about. Just my 2 cents of course. Can’t wait to see a review of this battery.

Posted by dsuo on June 26, 2005 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

FastMac has “nanoparticles” in their pants.

Posted by Smog Farm on June 29, 2005 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

Will Ipodlounge ever do a test on this battery?

Posted by bob on July 1, 2005 at 5:04 PM (PDT)

Initial TruePower test results…

I received my TruePower battery replacement for my 3G 20GB iPod last week. My original iPod battery never lasted the stated 8 hours. Granted, for my tests I use a setting of 2 second backlight, 60% contrast, 50% volume, shuffle songs, and “rock” on the EQ. My original battery in its prime got about 6.5 hours of play time with those settings. Before I finally decided to order the battery, it was getting just over 4 hours.

Below are my results in three tests after installing my TruePower battery. I used all the same settings (backlight, EQ, etc) that I had used (see above) with the original battery.

Test 1 (very first charge): 9 hrs 14 min

Test 2 (second charge): 9 hrs 37 min

Test 3 (after a week of use): 10 hrs 44 min

After the first test I was satisfied and thought I got more than my money’s worth—especially since I never got over 7 hours with the original battery. Today, was the day I got close to 11 hours and felt compelled to post my results. I’m not one to boast for someone else’s product unless it merits the praise. This time I thought it did. I wonder how long it would have lasted if I turned off the EQ and had it on song repeat instead of shuffle? I never listen to the iPod without the backlight or EQ and I’m sure as heck not going to listen to the same song for over 10 hours straight, so I can safely say I won’t ever maximize the play time of the battery.

Unfortunately, I can’t give any info on the number of useful charge cycles. But I figure if I lose 20% of capacity after one year, my new battery should still get close to 8 hours—which is more than I got when it was new.

Notes:

-I fancy myself as being someone who is fairly handy. I anticipated the job being a little easier. Pulling the iPod apart was not super easy, but I got it done. I used up one of the two included tools.

-Unlike the original battery, the TruePower is a little bigger, comes wrapped in gold plastic, and has some sort of circuit attached to the underside of the battery. I don’t know what it’s for, but I’m guessing it’s there for a reason.

I’m pretty satisfied so far. As long as it doesn’t explode inside my iPod or die within the next year, I don’t see why I shouldn’t give FastMac an “A” for this product.

Hope this was helpful to someone.

Posted by positiveimpact on September 1, 2005 at 9:57 PM (PDT)

I would like to add my results. I purchased a battery for my 2nd generation 20gb ipod at the end of August. Battery life was down to about 3 hours (2 hours 56 minutes). The most I EVER got from it when it was brand new was around 9 hours. Installed the truepower battery and results are as follows -

1st Charge - 16 hours 10 minutes
2nd Charge - 16 hours 55 minutes
3rd Charge - 17 hours 12 minutes
4th Charge - 17 hours 25 minutes
5th Charge - 17 hours 8 minutes

~10th Charge - 17 hours 20 minutes

So far I’m very happy with the battery and will report my results after a few more months of use to see if anything changes.

Posted by onepiece on September 7, 2005 at 11:19 PM (PDT)