File sharing legal in Canada | iLounge News

File sharing legal in Canada

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, March 31, 2004
News Categories: Digital Media

“Sharing copyrighted works on peer-to-peer networks is legal in Canada, a federal judge ruled on Wednesday, handing the record industry a sharp setback in its international fight against file swappers.

Canadian record labels had asked the court for authorization to identify 29 alleged file swappers in that country, in preparation for suing them for copyright infringement, much as the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has sued more than 1500 people in America.

But the judge denied that request. In a far-ranging decision, the court further found that both downloading music and putting it in a shared folder available to other people online appeared to be legal in Canada.”

« Apple announces iPod V portable video player

Free iPod personalization promo extended »

Comments

THE TRUE NORTH STRONG AND FREE!

Posted by Rilhouse on March 31, 2004 at 3:17 PM (PDT)

OH WTF.
THIS IS SO NOT FAIR.
Flippin canucks, eh.

Posted by enjoilax on March 31, 2004 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

Does that mean i’ve been buying cds for no reason?

Posted by ViewSonic on March 31, 2004 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

Woohooo for Canada

Posted by Dan on March 31, 2004 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

reason #784 that Canada > America

Posted by w00t on March 31, 2004 at 3:38 PM (PDT)

with this, and the strong possibility that we silly americans will likely re-elect george bush in nov, I may be moving north of the border soon!

Posted by sweet!! on March 31, 2004 at 4:40 PM (PDT)

Agreed sweet.  Good job Canada.

Posted by Orb on March 31, 2004 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

it’s good to be in canada.

Posted by Hanako on March 31, 2004 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

Wow, this is a huge kick in the nuts for the RIAA

Posted by Nuke666 in Melbourne, Austalia on March 31, 2004 at 5:45 PM (PDT)

For now . . . the CRIA will no doubt apply pressure for the copyright law to be updated.

Posted by larry on March 31, 2004 at 6:02 PM (PDT)

Wow, first they legalize marijuana then they legalize theft. What’s next eh?!

Posted by dede on March 31, 2004 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

Haha. I guess I don’t have to go to jail for a while yet. Now remember, when you guys all use Kazaa and browse my shared files, I don’t want anyone from the US to download anything, because of course I would then be guilty of a crime for which I assume I could be prosecuted ‘down there’.

But everyone from Canada; feel free to download. RIAA, kiss my heinie.

(As a serious aside, I was not one of the people who was ‘under consideration’, but I did cash out an RRSP in case I had to retain a lawyer).

Tom

Posted by Thomas Davie on March 31, 2004 at 6:46 PM (PDT)

i love living in canada. its another example of how some laws can be so screwed up.  legal to download copyright music. i love it. the judge compared it to photo copying notes at the libary. i think everyone should give the judge a big pat on the back and a BIG thank you. long live canada

Posted by figured on March 31, 2004 at 7:40 PM (PDT)

Of course, the photocopying at the library is slightly different, since the Library is a public building paid for by your Tax dollars, and the books can be checked out be everyone.

Plus, when was the last time you photocopied an entire book?  I believe if you look around, you will find that doing so is illegal.

Posted by Cameron on March 31, 2004 at 9:17 PM (PDT)

I haven’t bought CDs for probably at least 3 years and it has nothing to do with file sharing.  I support local artists and independent record labels directly (concerts, album sales, records). The RIAA and member record labels got me so fed up because

a) they started suing their customers in the states (for more money than the entire industry has made since its inception),

b) they started implementing insane copy protect schemes that limit me from using the music I paid for in a way that I see fit (such as listening to it on my MP3 player, or from the computer in my bedroom)

c) they were found guilty of price fixing CDs, estimated at more than $450 million stolen from consumers, since 1995

d) they got a levy in Canada on blank media to compensate artists for their “loses” and, so far, have distributed only $17 million of about $60 million collected to artists (and even that $17 million took 3 years to be distributed)

d) they give barely any of the profits from a CD to the artist anyway and

e) they keep turning out the same Britney Spears crap and expect people to buy it.

I hope the record industry DOES collapse and that the “Big 5” labels do go out of business… they certainly deserve it and it will be better for the artists and music lovers in the long run. There are plenty of high quality independent labels to take their place. Perhaps they will treat their artists and customers in a manner that I, and millions of other music lovers, can support.

Posted by Brad on March 31, 2004 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

either way we are certain to see some VERY big changes in the way media is produced, bought, and released.
I will laugh the day the RIAA files bankrunpcty

Posted by che on March 31, 2004 at 10:46 PM (PDT)

When Australia gets bombed, I am moving to Canada. No way I’m heading into RIAA craptoria.

Posted by Adam on March 31, 2004 at 11:03 PM (PDT)

Brad - NICE POST!!!

You saved me some typing time smile

Posted by Chris on April 1, 2004 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

tsk tsk, i think you have all jus been had by an april fools joke. wudda fallen for it myself apart from ive already been had!!!

finding it funnier reading some of ur posts…
ne way….. hahhaha YOU!!!

p.s. b4 you even mention the time it was posted ( late 31 march) im thinking the bloke who posted it was jumping the gun a bit…. Different time zones and all that….

Posted by rik on April 1, 2004 at 6:21 AM (PDT)

In ref. to Cameron…
You can check out cds and dvds at libararies as well. You take that stuff home and rip it. The libarary is really a pretty good analogy. Nice work canada..
J~

Posted by Joules on April 1, 2004 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >