FinFisher spyware can control, monitor iPhones
A new report from Bloomberg notes that UK-developed FinFisher spyware, originally developed for government and law enforcement use, is capable of taking control of an iPhone and other mobile devices. Researchers at the University of Toronto Munk School of Global Affairs’ Citizen Lab discovered that FinFisher can secretly track a user’s location, monitor e-mails, text messages and calls, as well as turning on a device’s microphone. An iPhone can become infected with the software when a user clicks on a malicious fake link. It’s presently unclear as to whether any iPhones are in fact infected; the report suggests that iPads may be susceptible, as well.
FinFisher was developed by Gamma Group, which markets a monitoring product called FinSpy Mobile to government and law enforcement agencies. Gamma has suggested that the software was somehow stolen from its sales demonstration server, and researchers have concluded that the spyware installs on iOS devices using a developer’s security certificate. Apple has not yet commented on the subject.
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Sprint, UK’s EE add Wi-Fi calling with iOS 8.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.3, iCloud Photo Library comes out of beta
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Details of Apple Watch’s heart monitor, limitations released
- Apple releases its 2015 Environmental Responsibility Report
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?