Firmware points to next-generation iPhone model | iLounge News

Firmware points to next-generation iPhone model

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, January 29, 2009
News Categories: iPhone

Evidence of a next-generation iPhone model has been found in the latest version of the iPhone’s firmware. Mac Rumors notes that a string in the USBDeviceConfiguration.plist file contains information for a device labeled “iPhone2,1,” while the original iPhone carried the designation “iPhone 1,1” and the iPhone 3G was labeled “iPhone 1,2.” For comparison, the first-generation iPod touch was labeled “iPod 1,1” while the second-generation model is labeled “iPod 2,1” due to its significant hardware differences such as volume buttons, an internal speaker, and integrated Nike+iPod support. The existence of a next-generation iPhone is further supported by the appearance of a device labeled “iPhone 2,1” appearing in a developer’s PinchMedia ad serving reports, suggesting that Apple is currently testing the device for a near-term release.

« Apple planning premium games section for App Store?

iTunes now offering track-by-track iTunes Plus upgrades »

Comments

Hope this is true especially since I held off upgrading my iPhone to the 3G until after the conference in January which was a bust.  My contract is up in July so I’ll wait and see.  I hope the new iPhone will include a storage capacity upgrade as well.  I could use my space.

Posted by Audrey McGirt on January 29, 2009 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

I’ll be more than ready for the 3G iPhone this summer.  I’m averaging 50Kbps on my first gen.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on January 29, 2009 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

I am still on the first gen

Was unlocked on a different carrier and stuck in a contract, which has now expired but I was holding off for a new iphone first…sooner the better for me, what time scale are people guessing?

I would also like a 32GB smile

Posted by thtonyclifton on January 29, 2009 at 10:11 AM (PDT)

As long as they ad more freaking memory!

Posted by Gianlucam on January 29, 2009 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

will the bluetooth wireless transmitter made for an ipod work on a iphone 3g?

Posted by johnny moncada on January 29, 2009 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

I would love a keyboard….like the LG Voyager.

Take the current model phone and have it open on a hinge like the Voyager and have a screen and keyboard in there and I am a happy camper.

and the apps really wouldn’t change too much. they either detect the keyboard when the phone is open or they work like they normally would on the front screen.

I know Steve hates keys but these keys would be on the INSIDE of the phone so as not to ruin the outside look.

Posted by YankeeSR23 on January 29, 2009 at 11:06 PM (PDT)

Hopefully with the added performance they are thinking with the new model we can finally get flash support and a version of safari that won’t crash when you try to view a page with too many photos.

Otherwise I love my current 3g.

Posted by Ryan on January 30, 2009 at 6:06 AM (PDT)

I have been waiting for the right iPhone to appear, I still have my ol’ Palm for phone duty and use my Nano or Mini for music.
The 3G was close - but still not enough memory.  But if this proposed iPhone major change shows up…I will most likely get it….if it has more memory than the current 3G.

Posted by Nathan on January 30, 2009 at 9:19 AM (PDT)

@ YankeeSR23

Nobody wants a flip out keyboard like the hunk-o-crap Voyager, or any of those other me-too iPhone wannabes.  How are you going to put a case, or accessories, on something that flips every which way? The iPhone is great as it is; Apple just needs to unleash all the things that the iPhone is obviously capable of(ie. cut-and-paste, Flash, turn-by-turn directions, bluetooth music…).

Posted by Steve from Yellowstone on January 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

As long as it is….....
1. Locked into AT&T;as the carrier with a 2 year term
2. Does not allow you to replace the battery like every other cell phone out there.

....... then I’ll never own an iPhone. The iTouch is just fine.

Posted by Patrick on January 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

3MP (at least)camera please…

Stereo Bluetooth support please…..

And I am sold…...

what would help of course,

1.32 gigs
2.Flash support in Safari
3.?faster processor

Posted by nfa on January 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM (PDT)