First lady also an iPod user | iLounge News

First lady also an iPod user

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, January 17, 2006
News Categories: iPod

iPods are apparently very popular with the first family. It was revealed last year that U.S. President George W. Bush is an iPod enthusiast, and now first lady Laura Bush also discloses that she’s a member of the iPod nation. Mrs. Bush told the Washington Times that her tastes differ from her husband’s and that she currently has songs by Tina Turner and Dolly Parton on her iPod. “He likes country music a little bit more than I do, although I actually really am very fond of country music, as well,” she said. “One of the songs on my iPod that I love is Dolly Parton singing ‘Stairway to Heaven.’ So that’s sort of a combination, country and pop.”

« Sumo Tough Love Valentine Contest - Winners Announced

Sumajin intros Loop case for video iPod »

Comments

I couldn’t give a rat’s @ss about what is on the president and first lady’s iPod.  In fact, stories like this make me want to sell my iPod.

Posted by asicola on January 17, 2006 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

Hmm note how everyone is talking about the first lady with an iPod and so on because she has an iPod. I bet if she has a Sony NW-E507 no body would give a s*it about it!

Posted by evoGage on January 17, 2006 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

I dont get you people. You come to a site dedicated to the iPod and iPod related news, yet you complain about stories about clebrities and their iPods.

That’s what this site is for, to report on iPod “news” whether relevant OR irrelevant.

And yes, I couldn’t care LESS about what’s on the first lady’s iPod either.

Posted by ahMEmon on January 17, 2006 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

Hey asicola…...I hear you can sell Ipods pretty well on Ebay.

Posted by fspilot1971 on January 17, 2006 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

Simply put, our first lady does not know music.

Its not a pop song. Not even close. My god, way to insult the music industry.

Posted by Malistar on January 17, 2006 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

Unfortunately, it’s you I don’t get. With every story, there’s plenty of room for interpretation and analysis; that’s EXACTLY what these discussion boards are all about.

If people feel a story is unworthy, then so be it. Why do you feel it’s so improper for others to voice their discontent?

BTW, I DO care about stories like these, because I see conspiracies behind all corners when it comes to anything D.C., and in particular the Bush White House. There’s ZERO question in my mind that this is Blatant Attempt #3 by Bush’s PR people to prop up his sorry popularity with the ever-expanding iPod Nation (I almost said ‘Universe’, but then I remembered how hated GW is outside his own borders, particularly when one excludes all the American troops overseas fighting HIS holy wars. Sorry Apple, but NO iPod can overcome THAT level of negative energy).

Posted by flatline response on January 17, 2006 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

Wow! I didnt know they sold iPods to steppford wives!

Posted by Umm... Yea on January 17, 2006 at 1:18 PM (PDT)

I have to take that back- I would never sell my iPod because our empire’s dictator has one too.

ahMEmon- I agree with you that this site is dedicated to iPods and iPod related news.  This story, however does anyone else think it is weird that there is an iPod reference in a story that talks about the upswing in Bush approval ratings?

And I agree with flatline response- this story is just cover up for the debacle/ all around major f*ck-up in Pakistan over the weekend.

Posted by asicola on January 17, 2006 at 1:54 PM (PDT)

Oh no the scum in the white house have the best invention since fire.

The bushes don’t deserve iPods.

Posted by Peachey on January 17, 2006 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

Yada Yada Yada…. Sell your iPod bud, Complain about GW, but yet, all is safe & sound here in great U.S.A., ..... Yada Yada Yada…

Posted by jcyea on January 17, 2006 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

Few thoughts…

1) I’m giving this thread another 24 hours and/or 24 posts before iLounge needs to pull it down - just as it did when they ran the story that GW has an iPod.  It’s sad when a site has to do that due to a limited number of posters.

2) I thought iLounge was an iPod enthusiest website and iPod related stories were welcomed - regardless of the source.  I don’t agree with GW on many issues, but the fact the President and his wife have iPods is kind of cool from an iPod-enthusiest point of view.

3) If people think this “news” is to cover up for other things, give me a break.  I’m more inclined to sell my iPod because I don’t want to be associated with that type of thinking than I would because GW or his wife have an iPod.

Just my 2 cents… after all, it’s still a free country…

Posted by billy bob on January 17, 2006 at 2:18 PM (PDT)

[stepping on political pedestal]
I’m a proud liberal.  I don’t support this administration, and I am not a big fan of Laura Bush standing by her man and party in some of the ways that she has.

BUT…when I see a story like this I don’t think “Oh the evil whitehouse has iPods it’s a vast conspiracy”.  I think…ok, the First Lady has an iPod, and she likes Dolly Parton…we probably don’t share the same taste in music, but so what…that’s not how I judge politicians or their families.

I just really think those of us who do not support the administration because of certian specific policies, need to keep things in perspective.  Sure, it might be a PR move to have the President’s, VP’s, and First Lady’s ownership of an iPod be in the news close to each other…but so what…every interview any politician grants is driven by PR.

We just need to keep our focus on what our real policy concerns are.  If we get caught up in this petty stuff, then we just end up discrediting ourselves.

With that said…those who support the administration also needs to keep things in perspective as well.

[/stepping off political pedestal]

Posted by bluecow on January 17, 2006 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

iLoungers having a hay day.  Onto other news, I agree. This will be shut down shortly.  Only a matter of time before the Bush-Bashers, Liberal morons, Hardcore Conservatives, etc. use this forum to express their political views.  I say we just ban the whole “Comments” thing for anything to do with politics.

Let’s hope the President of Iran doesn’t have an iPod…

Posted by Jegero on January 17, 2006 at 3:32 PM (PDT)

Like the President/First Lady or loathe them, how does them using an ipod affect you? They don’t own the company, it’s not like Steve Jobs hangs out at the White House all day long. She probably got one from her daughter like he did. There’s no indication she got it for free but that’s irrelevant also.

And yes, all ipod news is ilounge news - you might consider it insignicant but it’s still ipod news.

Posted by jbelkin on January 17, 2006 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

hahah, seems like all you anti patriots are attacking our president because he uses an ipod. well, if you don’t like it you can always move back to where you came from. to tell you the truth, i feel disgraced that “you” are an ipod user. Don’t worry, republicans will STILL be in office using their hi-def ipod’s until the year 2400.  Maybe the democrats will be using their creative labs (foreign empire) based ipod knock offs and sulking over our first lady’s love of country music still then.

Posted by agent on January 17, 2006 at 3:52 PM (PDT)

It would be interesting to see where iLounge steeps its political affiliation? That would help me to decide matters. We all know which side the media falls on for the various establishments; I see learning where iLounge resides as no different. How about it iLounge?

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on January 17, 2006 at 4:09 PM (PDT)

Oh, come on…....this is a place about our beloved ipod, how cool is Apple,etc. If you think is a “cool” thing that the white lady or his funny husband has a shiny player.. well, that´s fine.I just think that what´s happening in the White House in the last few years is really serious, really sad. There are many disgraces going on in the whole world for the sake of this weird Government and its President..Just for this particular reason I think this article is absolutely out of place. After all it´s not like “look, here´s another case for the nano”..I has painful implications for a lot of people out of this “happy ipod showcase” Well.. I just don´t think it´s “cool” or whatever.
My highest respect for all american friends of ilounge, by the way.

Posted by ipod on January 17, 2006 at 4:20 PM (PDT)

The point of this article is that more and more famous people (i.e. sports stars, celebrities, President/1st Lady) are jumping on the iPod bandwagon, just proving how popular it is in our pop culture.

If you want to vent against our President then this isn’t the place for it; there’s plenty of forums out there for that.

Posted by Dany on January 17, 2006 at 4:22 PM (PDT)

So I scolded fellow liberals for making a big deal out of this news article and using it as an opportunity to attack Bush…but then I ended with this.

“With that said…those who support the administration also needs to keep things in perspective as well”

Agent’s post about us “anti-patriots” going back to where “you come from” was exactly the type of person I had in mind when I made that statement.

I am an absolute political junky and love discussing politics with friend and foe…but man rhetoric like Agent’s and the equivelent from my side as well is like finger nails slowly being dragged down a very large chalkboard….made all the worse because this is the wrong place for any political discussion.

We, as a country, need to grow up and put life in perspective.

Posted by bluecow on January 17, 2006 at 5:38 PM (PDT)

George Bush is better than you.

Posted by omg ipod politics on January 17, 2006 at 5:59 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >