Forbes editor has issues with iPod mini | iLounge News

Forbes editor has issues with iPod mini

“Apple Computer’s iPod mini looks as if it was designed for adolescent girls who like their electronic devices to look like their candy. The new portable MP3 player comes in five shiny new colors: blue, sliver, green, gold and pink. Apple describes the iPod mini as the “ultimate fashion statement”—a line that could have been pulled straight out of Tiger Beat magazine.

If you cut through the layer of teeny-bopper marketing, however, you will find Apple’s (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) iPod mini is a decent player that deserves to be marketed as more than a fashion accessory—it works well, it’s easy to use and the simple design is friendly and functional.”

« Apple delays release of iPod mini worldwide until July

RIAA strikes at college campuses »

Comments

I agree with certain posters who think others are being a little oversensitive. The point of the article is that the reviewer thought it was a great product, cheapened (in her view) by a ‘childish’ look compared to the normal iPod.

This reviewer isn’t the first person to dislike the coloured mini, and she certainly won’t be the last. But the gist of the article still remains that she thought the “iPod mini is a decent player that deserves to be marketed as more than a fashion accessory—it works well, it’s easy to use and the simple design is friendly and functional.”

Nothing wrong with saying that?

And I have to agree 100% with the iTunes remark. I’ve never used it on a Mac, but on my PC, it’s so much slower than other media players. And I’m running 1Gb DDR 400 RAM, P4 2.6, resources aren’t an issue.

Posted by doctorjuggles on March 24, 2004 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

If a reporter has the right to say whatever they want in a review, I think readers have a right to respond.  If they think the reporter’s comments are dumb, so be it.  I don’t know why stating that is being “over-sensitive.”  Personally, i think the comments sound like a load of crap, even though I have not fully read the article.  I don’t get the sense Apple is marketing the mini to teenyboppers—what kind of teenyboppers can even afford one?  Id o know plenty of 20-something like myself who really dig them.

Posted by Nicky G on March 24, 2004 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

“I have not fully read the article”

Hey, this isn’t slashdot. Read the bloody article before you throw a bloody fit. If you don’t get the sense Apple’s marketing them to teenyboppers, you obviously don’t know any teenyboppers, or read their magazines or watch their television shows… because Apple’s spending a whoooollleee lotta money pushing them there.

Posted by JC on March 24, 2004 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

-About the color/color scheme and nothing to do with electronic specifications-

Man, I like the look of the orginal iPod, but the color scheme on the iPod Mini is definately leaning on the girly-side.  No joke.  This is one of the reasons why I bought the Creative Labs MuVo^2 over the iPod Mini.  Yeah, I know what I’m talking about b/c a friend of mine bought the gold colored iPod Mini and we were comparing each of our 4GB devices.  I’m happy to say that I made a satisfying choice.

Makes you wonder why they only have those 5 metro-sexual colors?  I don’t see anything wrong with having pure black/silver/white iPod Minis.  I’m damn sure if they offered those colors with the current 5, people would buy those too without any complaint.

I agree, the colors suck IMHO.

Posted by robotZER0 on March 24, 2004 at 2:07 PM (PDT)

Ummmm… last time I checked young people of BOTH genders were spending money on all sorts of products, including electronics.

Or did Mary Kate & Ashley become near billionaires by marketing to old men?  (well, maybe old men are buying some of their stuff…)

Posted by pablo on March 24, 2004 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

If the product was targeted toward 30-year-old males… she wouldn’t say anything… but she DOES mention that it “was designed for adolescent girls who like their electronic devices to look like their candy.”

If you have EVER held one, you would see why I disagree with her comments. The pink mini, maybe, but there are 4 other colors.

And she never mentions why she thinks iTunes is either slow, clunky, etc… She just mentioned it.
People who have mentioned their problems with iTunes in this forum HAVE explained why, but not her.

People, get a clue!

Posted by SsnMx on March 24, 2004 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

“Metrosexual?”  How not even veiled.  Classy.

I’m willing to bet that most of the folks who don’t like the iPod colors are PC users, and most folks who are fine with them are Mac users.  PC users like beige, Mac users like color and creativity.  ‘Nuff said.

Btw, what kind of total loser doesn’t even own an iPod, in fact bought the competition, but still reads this site and bothers to comment even?  I thought I needed a life…

—-
The techno-mediated cultural conspiracy

Posted by Nicky G on March 24, 2004 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

I am a 40 year old man. I bought a Silver Mini on the first day. (I also have a 20g 2g) I bought it for the form and functionality.

I have a Mac and a PC. iTunes runs perfectly on both machines. It is not slow at all. I have never once had a problem with either platform.

Art is subjective - some people like it, some people don’t, and some people just never get it.

Macintosh IS art.

Posted by Chris on March 24, 2004 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

Nicky G-

As far as teenyboppers not being able to afford it, you’re wrong.  Do you have a teenager?  I do, and he spends more money on gadgets than I do.

If a kid can afford a Sony PlayStation and one game, then he can afford an iPod mini.

I definitely think they’re overpriced, but a lot of kids have already saved up, and a lot more are saving up for the thing.

Just watch how many kids around your neighborhood have the mini after this Christmas.

Ironically, Apple’s main goal may not have been to market so heavily to the teenyboppers and women, but by default it seems that they are because of the soft colors.

More masculine colors would have appealed to more men and boys.

Posted by BigSid in Los Angeles on March 24, 2004 at 3:48 PM (PDT)

I LOVE IT.  Every new Apple product gets a few of these reviews; it’s almost as if they use a cookie cutter:

“Apple Computer’s iBook (toilet seat) looks as if it was designed for adolescent girls who like their electronic devices to look like their candy.”

“Apple Computer’s iMac (flavors) looks as if it was designed for adolescent girls who like their electronic devices to look like their candy.”

The only problem with the iPod mini is that Apple once again underestimated demand.

Posted by matthew on March 24, 2004 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

Re: robotZero

“I don’t see anything wrong with having pure black/silver/white iPod Minis. I’m damn sure if they offered those colors with the current 5, people would buy those too without any complaint. “

There already is a silver iPod Mini
You want black… and I bet you also want beige, eh?
LOL

Posted by SsnMx on March 24, 2004 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

“I’m willing to bet that most of the folks who don’t like the iPod colors are PC users, and most folks who are fine with them are Mac users. PC users like beige, Mac users like color and creativity. ‘Nuff said.

Btw, what kind of total loser doesn’t even own an iPod, in fact bought the competition, but still reads this site and bothers to comment even? I thought I needed a life…”

Nicky G and SsnMx -

Can all you guys say about the PC is that it’s ‘beige’.  Seriously, have you never seen any of the kickass PC mods -and- specialized accessories?  The whole PC is ‘beige’ comment is so old, way over used…  I suggest you hop your ### onto Google.com and do some quick research.

Posted by robotZER0 on March 24, 2004 at 9:57 PM (PDT)

Not to mention no one makes beige computers anymore…

But that is the typical Fanboy response you get here in the news comments.  If it’s not Mac, it gets derided.  And Apple can make no mistakes.

Posted by stark23x on March 25, 2004 at 1:50 AM (PDT)

My PC is a little annodized aluminium cube with a funky blue power LED, it looks not unlike the old G4 cube.

As for the mini colours, some people don’t like them. Get over it.

Posted by Fenn on March 25, 2004 at 2:35 AM (PDT)

I thought Girl/Boy didn’t matter in hip young world of today!

Personally, I don’t see anything ‘girlish’ about the silver, blue, green or gold iPod minis.  Plus, its a better design than the original while iPod.  I’ve got both types, but I prefer my silver iPod mini.

Posted by The Raven in USA on March 25, 2004 at 3:52 AM (PDT)

You guys r lucky to have a chance to comment the ipod mini. We in Europe have to wait until July, just heard about it =( So be thankful with your mini, whether it is for boy or girl =)

Posted by Ady on March 25, 2004 at 5:27 AM (PDT)

I love my iPod mini!

Posted by Reality Check on March 25, 2004 at 5:59 AM (PDT)

Isn’t it about time that we started caring about form and function, why is it that when something looks small and sleak and comes in certain colors its just for girls. Even if It was is it so stupid to try and market a device toward women? I dont find my blue Ipod mini to be inherently feminine and I dont know why anyone needs to care.

Posted by Maddrjeffe on March 25, 2004 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

I am a mac fanboy and I kiss Apple’s a**

Why? Because they innovate. Contrary to what everyone would predict/do they designed the iPod Minis in colors and they are a huge success. If some PC Manufacturer had originally designed the iPod it would be black and white and that would be the end of it. But Apple dares to THINK.

iPod Minis are not specifically for either men or women. It’s for anyone who appreciates beauty.

Some people do like the minis, get over it.

Posted by SsnMx on March 25, 2004 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

SsnMx-

Nearly everyone here loves the mini!  But, a lot of people would love it more in a better variety of colors.

When your choice is limited to the five that are out there, you pick one and go with it.  But, I see nothing wrong in wanting a better/broader selection of colors.

Would it be any less beautiful in black, or classic iPod white?  I think it would be even more beautiful.

Seriously, I’ve heard a lot of people knock the colors.  Some people feel they have to ‘settle’ for silver.  Of course they’re not really settling—they’re still getting the best player on the market.

Posted by BigSid in Los Angeles on March 25, 2004 at 7:24 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »