Forbes suggests new features For iTunes | iLounge News

Forbes suggests new features For iTunes

“But what’s needed next is the additional layer of information that typically goes with music sold in brick-and-mortar stores: the packaging.

The new iTunes feature that lets those who buy an album print out the cover art addresses this, to a point. But what’s missing are the other bits of information about the album that typically come with CD packaging—liner notes, jacket copy, lyric sheets and so on. Jazz and classical fans in particular often enjoy reading the jacket copy.”

« Survey: Possible underwater audio system for iPod planned

Free iTunes 4.5 troubleshooting guide released »

Comments

If you want all that paper-jacket snazz, go out and buy a hard copy of it.  ‘nough said.

Posted by Schiano on April 30, 2004 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

Wrong answer Schiano. It’s like saying if you want music go buy the CD. Join the 21st century. They already have all the requested stuff in computerized form. They can get it and distribute it just as easily as the album cover.

Posted by Sabon on April 30, 2004 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

Should be a simple matter for the labels to provide Apple with the inserts in PDF format. It’s almost insane to distribute music without this “stuff” as that’s where the label and the artist do most of their branding.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on April 30, 2004 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

I’d at least like the lyric sheet (there usually is one on most pop CD’s)

Posted by rsm5063 on April 30, 2004 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

Right on! This is EXACTLY what I was thinking last night as I was burning all my excess Pepsi Cap credits by downloading a bunch of old Gospel tunes. I mean, there’s practically no information on the music - and that’s what makes it fun for anyone other than Britney fans.

I bet this happens sooner than later. PDF format would be great.

Posted by Billy K on April 30, 2004 at 9:54 AM (PDT)

i would never see a purpose for this, i just listen to the music… i dont want to read anything

Posted by armless on April 30, 2004 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

Uh…no. If I want the artwork and all that, I’ll go buy the thing. I buy from iTunes so I can get the song or CD I want for less than the retail store sells it for.

Posted by jack handy on April 30, 2004 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

Lyrics, extra info, etc… Isn’t that what artist websites are for? Sure, I remember pouring over album covers, and tape inserts, and cd jackets, but that was before I could just go to the artist’s website and get more/better/faster there.

Posted by D'Arcy Norman on April 30, 2004 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

Lyrics and liner notes are already uploaded to the ITMS via iTunes Producer, -if- the label includes them. For whatever reason, Apple is not displaying them yet. Maybe they will be available eventually, or they might only be used to help with searching (i.e. you remember some lyrics, but don’t know the song). I’m all for offering more info. Sometimes I like to know who produced a new song, or who else is involved. I don’t see any problem with having MORE. If you don’t want it, don’t.. read it.. (?)

Posted by kernelg on April 30, 2004 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

MORE=MORE MONEY!

At the current cost on iTunes the price for a full CD is just right to keep me from buying it at the store. If the price goes up any further than what it is now, there will be no use for iTunes and the retail store will prevail over it. When the difference in cost is only $1 - $2 it’s better to go to the store and own the actual CD, allowing you to rip it at any bitrate you want. This is the reason why the ITMS can compete with retail, people just want the music and not having to pay extra for the fluff they can get for free from the artists web site.

Posted by jack handy on April 30, 2004 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

There’s already a standard for including lyrics in an MP3 file.  In Winamp I have a plugin that automatically detects if lyrics are present, pops open a windows to display them, and moves a highlight bar down each line in time with the music.  It would be trivial for an ipod to display this.  It’s also long past due for it do be able to display the other meta data such as file type, bitrates, grouping and comment fields.  In my view there should these should be accomodated similiar to how one views and sets ratings while playing a song.

Posted by cbowers on April 30, 2004 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

Thing is, more and more artists are now including bonus DVD’s with their works like the latest from Coldplay and Foo Fighters.  This kind of extra above and beyond printed lyrics, photos, notes etc… isn’t available through Itunes as far as I know.

Posted by Unthinkable on April 30, 2004 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

I think you are going to see all of this when Apple releases their color screen.  I personally enjoy the cover of my CDs and the info booklets inside with history, lyrics etc. Once the brick and mortar stores get on track and start offering you a download option and combine this with the electronic packaging then you will see things really moving ahead for MP3 players and the music business as a whole.

Posted by Lajo on April 30, 2004 at 6:20 PM (PDT)

there is already the ability to load more than one picture per song where the cover art goes, you can add multiple pictures and toggle through them.

I imagine in the future the toggle feature will be used to go from cover art to liner notes.

Im sure Apple wants to offer all this information, itís a matter of the labels providing it.

Apple must also update all the songs currently on the music store before making the feature available. I doubt they would bring this feature out until a large percentage of songs had the additional info attached.

Eventualy we will probably get free videos with music downloads and other bundle extras. the future looks bright for the music download busienss model.

Posted by Ariza on April 30, 2004 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

“the future looks bright for the music download busienss model”

But Slate now likes the subs model more…

“Imagine subscribing to something like Rhapsody on a mobile device that lets you access any song, anywhere, instantly. What will you think of your iPod and its 1,000 songs then?”

Then again, Slate is owned by M$

Posted by gotta wear shades on April 30, 2004 at 9:06 PM (PDT)

Sounds like someone wants to increase the price of the songs

Posted by Anthony on April 30, 2004 at 11:05 PM (PDT)

Did Slate have a caveat in the article, something like “And, then imagine when you decide to stop paying the monthly subscription fee, and ALL OF YOUR MUSIC DISAPPEARS. What will you think of your iPod and its 5.000 songs then?”

Posted by D'Arcy Norman on May 1, 2004 at 5:51 AM (PDT)

“What will you think of your iPod and its 5.000 songs then?”

Pretty much like a Betamax buyer, if they are all Fairplay AAC and Apple goes bankrupt 10 years down the line.

Posted by Aaaaaaaaagh on May 1, 2004 at 6:19 AM (PDT)

not all cd’s come with simple booklets wacked in a jewel case. There is no such thing as just a cd “cover”. A cover applied to vinyl. It’s now “packaging”. Front, back, sides, inside. A booklet in a jewel case is only one option. The design of a cd package is not just the ink on the paper. It can be the paper itself, special processes (foil, varnish, die cuts). I for one don’t want packaging to be smashed into a simple PDF for my home printer. How creative would be wacking a couple of images into a template be?

Posted by Nathan on May 1, 2004 at 8:57 PM (PDT)

Liner notes good.

Posted by Michael Molloy on May 2, 2004 at 9:49 PM (PDT)