Ford, GM, Mazda to offer iPod integration in 2007 models | iLounge News

Ford, GM, Mazda to offer iPod integration in 2007 models

Apple today announced that it has partnered with Ford, General Motors and Mazda to deliver iPod integration “across the majority of their brands and models, making it easy for iPod users to enjoy and control their iPod’s high-quality sound through their car’s stereo system.” With the addition of these models, Apple said more than 70 percent of 2007-model U.S. automobiles will offer iPod integration. Ford and GM will offer iPod connectivity in “the majority of their 2007 models” beginning later this year, while Mazda’s entire 2007 lineup will be iPod-ready. The iPod integration consists of built-in auxiliary audio-input jacks in some models and direct-connect options for others. Apple said iPod kits will offer a direct connection to a car’s stereo, glove compartment storage, iPod charging, and the ability to select and play music using a car’s multifunction controls.

Update: Ford has now issued its own press release announcing the iPod integration, and details its plans for a “TripTunes” iPod solution. From the company’s announcement:

For the 2007-model year, built-in auxiliary audio-input jacks will be offered on the Ford Edge, Explorer, Expedition, Mustang, Fusion, Sport Trac, Ranger, F-150, Mercury Milan, Mountaineer, Lincoln MKX, Lincoln MKZ, Navigator and Lincoln Mark LT. The jacks allow customers to bring any iPod or other MP3 player with a standard 3.5 millimeter audio output into their vehicle and play it through the audio system.

In addition, early next year, Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers throughout the U.S. will begin offering Ford’s TripTunes Advanced audio system—an iPod integration feature that provides drivers with top sound quality and recharging at the same time. TripTunes Advanced allows the driver to store the iPod in the vehicle’s glove box and select music using the steering wheel or radio controls—including shuffling songs and skipping between tracks and playlists.

« Apple defends iPod-iTunes compatibility in Scandinavia

Study finds widespread usage of iPods in automobiles »

Comments

Where is Toyota?

Posted by Dave on August 3, 2006 at 10:15 AM (CDT)

Well…it’s about time.  I just wish Chevrolet had it back in 2004 when I bought my Silverado Crew.  Any chance the kits will be compatible and available for purchase and DIY installation on older models?

Posted by franticnomad on August 3, 2006 at 10:56 AM (CDT)

Horray! Your iPod will outlast the damn car its connected to!

Posted by Mike on August 3, 2006 at 11:28 AM (CDT)

Wheres Honda or Toyota which in my opinion are the best car brands because they run forever, and I know what im talking about because my younger brother is a machanic

Posted by Spencer on August 3, 2006 at 12:04 PM (CDT)

Ford Recalls 1.2 Million Trucks, SUVs, Vans

I hope this ipod connectivity doesn’t start any fires.

Posted by Big ED on August 3, 2006 at 1:19 PM (CDT)

A friend at work just bought a brand new Honda Accord, and it had an iPod option.  She has it in the glove compartment and the steering wheel controls her iPod.

Another friend just bought the new Toyota Avalon, and there is no iPod option available.  Talk about behind the curve!  Toyota needs to get on the ball.

My VW had a hookup in the back that I took advantage of.

Posted by Becky on August 3, 2006 at 1:22 PM (CDT)

Let’s just hope these guy’s Ipod kits do a better job than that disaster that Honda put out!

Posted by Ed K on August 4, 2006 at 5:38 AM (CDT)

But i already have a Mazda CX-7 (2007)... are they saying it is IPOD compatible?  We have been trying to figure it out and nobody thinks it is…

Posted by Chris on August 4, 2006 at 1:07 PM (CDT)

I just purchased a 2007 Saturn Ion and was pleasantly surprised to find an auxilary input hole right on the front of the stereo.  Now, if someone would just come up with a cable that has the auxilary jack on one end, and a dock connector on the other - so I can charge while I drive AND bypass the iPod’s volume controls (there is some considerable fiddling necessary between the car stereo and the iPod to find a comfortable volume).

Posted by Dionne on August 4, 2006 at 1:56 PM (CDT)

“Now, if someone would just come up with a cable that has the auxilary jack on one end, and a dock connector on the other - so I can charge while I drive AND bypass the iPod’s volume controls (there is some considerable fiddling necessary between the car stereo and the iPod to find a comfortable volume).”

Let me first say that I work for an online iPod vehicle accessory retailer.  That said, I wanted to let you know that several companies offer exactly what you want, and my store does sell them as well.  It has a dock connector to RCA & 3.5mm output, plus 12V power connection to charge the iPod.  Rather than spam the board I will ask that you email me and I will provide you a link to the product on our site.

Posted by iPodCarParts in California on August 4, 2006 at 7:09 PM (CDT)

I just realized email addresses are not visible from the comments area so if you are interested, just search our site for IPODRCA or even google it and you’ll find it.  I’d post a link directly but I don’t believe the rules allow retailers to do this and we prefer to play by fairly.

Posted by iPodCarParts in California on August 4, 2006 at 7:31 PM (CDT)