Former Apple CEO Steve Jobs dies, aged 56 | iLounge News

Former Apple CEO Steve Jobs dies, aged 56

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, October 5, 2011
News Categories: Apple

Former Apple CEO and Chairman Steve Jobs has died at age 56. Apple’s main web page has become an understated memorial to its visionary leader, who has widely been credited with having created the personal computer industry during his first years at Apple, then reshaping the music, telephone, and computer industries in his second stretch.

Our deepest condolences go out to Mr. Jobs’ family, and all the employees of Apple who—like us—are already feeling the pain of his loss. The impact of his life cannot be overstated.

“Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple,” reads a passage posted to the company’s website. In a separate statement published by the Wall Street Journal, Jobs’ family said he “died peacefully today surrounded by his family…We know many of you will mourn with us, and we ask that you respect our privacy during our time of grief.”

Jobs, along with Steve Wozniak and Ronald Wayne, founded Apple Computer in 1976, and oversaw the development of both the Apple II and Macintosh computers before leaving the company in 1985. While away from Apple, Jobs started his own computer company—NeXT Computer—which would later be purchased by Apple—and purchased The Graphics Group from Lucasfilm’s computer graphics division in 1986. The Graphics Group would later be renamed Pixar, and would go on to produce a string of award-winning computer-animated feature films. Pixar was acquired by Disney in 2006, making Jobs the largest single shareholder in The Walt Disney Company.

Jobs returned to Apple in 1996 as part of the company’s purchase of NeXT and became interim CEO in 1997, dropping the interim title in 2000. During his second stint at Apple, Jobs brought the company back from a dire financial position with a string of hit products including the iMac, iBook, iPod, iPhone, and iPad; the company became the world’s most valuable prior to Jobs stepping down from his role as CEO on August 24.

Updated: Apple CEO Tim Cook has announced in a Media Advisory that the company is “planning a celebration of Steve’s extraordinary life for Apple employees that will take place soon. If you would like to share your thoughts, memories and condolences in the interim, you can simply email rememberingsteve@apple.com.”

« Tweet Speaker lets users listen to their Twitter streams

Samsung moves to block iPhone 4S in France + Italy »

Comments

He really did give us all soooo much. You WILL be missed!!!  While you’re up there, can you show God the copy/paste command. he’s been asking wink

Posted by John_KC on October 5, 2011 at 5:04 PM (PDT)

RIP, Steve.

Posted by John on October 5, 2011 at 5:20 PM (PDT)

Steve Jobs and Apple literally changed my life. Thank you Steve for being Insanely Great. Rest in peace.

Dennis Lloyd
iLounge.com

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on October 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM (PDT)

Wow!  No wonder the sudden decision to step down as the CEO at Apple!  I am certain he knew is number was just about up and wanted to at least allow time for Tim Cook to get into the role!

How I so fondly remember playing with an Apple ][e when I was a kid.  So cool looking at those old pictures from the 70’s of Steve Job.  What a young, vibrant looking guy at the time.

Regardless of all the pissing and moaning about Apple, especially in light of the recent iPhone 4S announcement, there is no denying the fact that Apple has made some really nice products over the years.

RIP Steve Job - may your legacy live on…..  :(

Posted by SkiBumMSP on October 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

Steve’s work is something unbelievable, he created the most powerful brand in history, he created Technology + Innovation + Art.

Steve Jobs created Apple, Inc. That’s the greatest achievement ever.

I’m happy he passed away being a true Hero.

As a musician and technology fanatic, I can say Apple products changed my life for good, thank you Steve.

Mateo Gonzalez
Bogota, Colombia

Posted by Mateo Gonzalez on October 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM (PDT)

he protected apple til the very end (insisting on that chairman title), although he might have known that he has only weeks remaining.

steve jobs has died. long live steve jobs.

Posted by turmukoy on October 5, 2011 at 6:56 PM (PDT)

Our first Apple computer was a Macintosh SE, with 4MB RAM, and an external 80MB hard drive. We did everything on that that ittle thing. Used it for years even after I finished college. Thank you Steve for the vision and leadership. Rest in peace Mr Jobs.

Posted by MIke Bielert on October 5, 2011 at 7:49 PM (PDT)

Steve Jobs was a true visionary and a great CEO because he cared for what his company was making. As I sit here typing this on my Macbook Pro while checking my emails on my iPad. I remember how much of an impact Apple has had on just my life alone. Rest in peace Mr Jobs you’ve touched millions of people with consumer technology even if they’re not fully aware of the great man that helped create them, you will be greatly missed.

Posted by Johnathan on October 6, 2011 at 12:56 AM (PDT)

Thank you for your passion.

Posted by Charles Farley on October 6, 2011 at 2:36 AM (PDT)

He is like no other.  His vision, his ideas .... woow, Steven Jobs inspires many of us.  I’m still

Posted by dennis on October 6, 2011 at 5:25 AM (PDT)

iTunes changed my life as did the iPhone. I admire his willingness to bet the farm on his vision. RIP. #blackturtleneckFriday

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on October 6, 2011 at 7:11 AM (PDT)

Steve Jobs touched my life through the iPod, Mac mini & iPhone & changed the way I listened to music & watched videos. Found a new way to carry my library with me on a daily basis in a nice neat package. Thank you Steve Jobs.

My condolences to his family in their time of sorrow. May God’s grace & peace shower them in love in their time of need.

Posted by Audrey McGirt on October 6, 2011 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

It’s a sad time.  And a wakeup call.  People love to protest the “evil corporation” with glee.  But some have a heart.  Apple, amongst others, provide a living for millions of people around the globe - myself included.  Apple - and Steve Jobs - are very generous with the fruits of their success.  Not to mention the inspiration that many young people glean from the philosophy of Steve’s vision.  My kids have been using Macs since they could sit upright in a chair.  I see them now becoming wonderfully successful and happy adults.  Yes, just like guitars, microscopes, books, and other objects of inspiration, special people indeed push humanity forward.
To some, it’s just disposable electro-crap, but to many, it’s an avenue to finding themselves a place in life.  I’m one.  I’ll miss Steve Jobs, although I never knew him.

Posted by sb on October 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

Since a cause of death isn’t officially announced, perhaps Mr. Jobs died of boredom from the iPhone 4S announcement? ... What, too soon?

In all seriousness, a visionary, a pioneer, and a leader has been lost. Rest in Peace, Steve; you will be missed by many. My condolences to his family as well.

Posted by Farsnworth on October 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

#13 nice said

Posted by dennis on October 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

Its a highly disappointment news that Steve is no more today..Cancer is taking everyone’s Life..This is not the right age to die for steven…such a brilliant founder of Apple..and I feel proud that iam the one of the apple customer.May his soul rest in peace.

Posted by Shanthi on October 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM (PDT)

We have lost a great innovator.  We have lost the last of the great innovators.  There are no more.  There will be no more innovators to come along and create such and astronomical change in the world as Mr. Steve Jobs.  He will be sorely missed.

Posted by Lamar on October 7, 2011 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

I can’t imaging my life now without multiple Apple products in it.  Steve Jobs has had an impact of millions of lives that will take a lot of surpassing.  How many people can get to the end of their (in his case too short) lives and be able to say that?  Condolences to his family….

Posted by Meg on October 7, 2011 at 9:41 PM (PDT)