Forums: nano Case Concepts, iPod uses, Pamper nano, Deleting Podcasts | iLounge News

Forums: nano Case Concepts, iPod uses, Pamper nano, Deleting Podcasts

In this week’s look at the iLounge Discussion Forums: iLounge member mcdj continues to impress fellow iLoungers with his conceptual art for iPod nano cases. So far he has presented The nanoPipes, The nanotes, The Nanoroll, The nanoPipe - Drivers Edition and The nanoHatch. Keep your eyes peeled for his next idea.

Found a non-obvious use for your iPod? Some suggestions are shared here by readers - “Non-Obvious Things You Can Do With Your IPod”. Do you have anything to add to the list?

One thing which everyone seems to be reporting is the susceptibility of the iPod nano to scratching - this is not a new problem as search of our “old forums” produced what may have been the very first reports of iPods scratching - back in November, 2001. This current thread shows how members are constantly searching for ways to remove the marks of everyday wear and tear.

And finally this week: do you have an iPod full of Podcasts and wonder how to delete them? This tip from a member may answer your question.

« Griffin ships iFM; iPod nano version coming in November

Tekkeon intros vent-mounted FM transmitter/charger »

Comments

ilounge wrote: “One thing which everyone seems to be reporting is the susceptibility of the iPod Nano to scratching - this is not a new problem…”

No one is claiming this to be a new problem.  I’ve owned several generations of iPods - none have ever been as susceptible to scratches as the Nano is.  If you search the iPod discussion boards for this topic you’ll find that many of the complaints have been posted by those that are purchasing their 2nd or 3rd iPod and are fully aware of how prone the iPod is to surface scratches.

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss this - Apple needs to step up and address this problem.

Posted by jcs on September 23, 2005 at 9:21 AM (CDT)

For many people the iPod nano is their first experience of an iPod with a lucite front and a chrome back. They may feel it is a new problem.
I merely pointed out that even after the iPod was first introduced, scratching was an issue. A look back almost 4 years to perhaps show that what they are ‘experiencing’ is not new or unique to them.

Searching the forums is something that many new members do not do. To expect someone “upgrading” from, say an iPod mini, to the nano to search the forums for early problems might be assuming too much.

And at what point did I try to dismiss it? If I wished to dismiss it I wouldn’t have included it in this weeks roundup.
I stated “everyone is reporting the susceptibility of the iPod Nano to scratching ” - I did not state “one or two people”. Does that sound like dismissing the problem?

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on September 23, 2005 at 10:38 AM (CDT)

Bob-

Point taken.

If the iPod Nano is in fact someone’s first experience with the iPod then that’s all the more reason why Apple needs to address this issue.  If they don’t, I’m not sure their likely to gain a lot or repeat business.

Perhaps I’m “preaching to the choir

Posted by jcs on September 23, 2005 at 11:15 AM (CDT)

The reason why apple hasn’t done anything with the scratching issue is that is sells more anti-scratching products such as case, scratch cream, and other wonderful products that add to the to a simple mp3 player. Go to mp3.com and it will say the ipod has the most accessories than any other mp3 on the market combined. I think nanos suck. and by the way, there is a VIDEO ipod out there. I’m holding one right now . Its my 3rd gen 40GB with some mods to play video. Go to cnet.com and it will show you how to do the video mod.

Posted by JERRY on September 24, 2005 at 1:50 AM (CDT)

Guess if you want to watch B&W video on a 2” screen then fine. I spent years watching B&W TV so I’d hate to go back in time and do it all again….

...and on a postage stamp screen…

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on September 24, 2005 at 12:51 PM (CDT)

Well, I have owned serveral ipods over the years and have shown wear and tear that I thought was more than acceptable over time.

I purchased a Nano the minute they were available and I like it. However it does scratch easily!! way too easily period.
I took it to a local shop that specializes in all things plastic, and they basically said it was cheap material. I asked them to demostrate what they meant so he took out a fresh block of acrylic and one of lucite draged his finger nail lightly across both blocks and not a mark!, did the same thing on my Nano and instant scratch.
He also tried several applications of Novus 2 and no luck restoring the Nano.

So my Nano looks like its been around the block more than a few times and it’s less than a week old!.

Do still use it and enjoy it everyday you bet, would I be happier if it looked better you bet, will I get another one when Apple “fixes” this issue probably.

I just have to arrange a permanent accident for the first one, just to help the rationalization process :-)

Posted by Scott on September 27, 2005 at 5:00 PM (CDT)

I have a new Ipod.  I have itunes installed on my laptop.  Can I also install itunes on my desktop, and transfer my music from the ipod to the desktop?

Thank you.

Posted by Burl Stafford on September 30, 2005 at 12:35 AM (CDT)