Fox cautious about new TV distribution outlets | iLounge News

Fox cautious about new TV distribution outlets

Fox television said it is being more cautious than rival networks like NBC and ABC in making its popular TV shows available from new distribution outlets like the iTunes Music Store.

“It’s been our strategy not to try to go out first with announcements but to go out with our best strategy. We’re taking a more measured approach to what works and would not work,” Fox Entertainment President Peter Liguori said. “In terms of new technologies, it’s so early and in the nascent stages of what we can do with this. We think of this as a quintessential marathon and not a sprint… There are so many different cable outlets, a really fertile Internet, the ability to get information on wireless,” Liguori said. “‘24’ is a great show for all those various options, but again, my job is to protect ‘24,’ not to worry about what at this point is really a pretty meager audience” for video on demand or video iPods.

« Apple reports record earnings, revenues [updated]

Orbino offers line of premium leather iPod cases »

Comments

It’s okay Fox.  We’ll continue to torrent your episodes of 24.  No biggy.

Posted by you-know-who on January 18, 2006 at 4:29 PM (CST)

my thoughts exactly

Posted by zerock on January 18, 2006 at 5:34 PM (CST)

haha yup

Posted by chris on January 18, 2006 at 5:39 PM (CST)

I want my “24” now!! Does any one have suggestions on the best torrent site to download “24”? I have cable internet but the sites that I am going to still take 6 - 12 hrs. I prefer not to leave my laptop on all night:(

Posted by stevespod on January 18, 2006 at 6:27 PM (CST)

You see, I do understand the whole “marathon” analogy.  However, I then look at the music industry.  They were late into the digital music scene, and that’s why piracy is so incredibly high these days.—they didn’t embrace the upcoming technologies.

Same on you Fox, you’re doing exactly what the music industry did.

Posted by you-know-who on January 18, 2006 at 7:23 PM (CST)

If the audience for downloadable TV shows is so meager, you would think Fox would consider an iTunes or similar distribution deal, if for no other reason than to test the waters and see how effective the practice is.

Posted by rjlawrencejr on January 18, 2006 at 7:40 PM (CST)

fox should distribute arrested development via itunes music store.

Posted by navas on January 18, 2006 at 7:48 PM (CST)

The quotes should read:

“In terms of new technologies, it’s so early and the number of people watching 24 is greater than the number of people who have video ipods. We are going to wait until the number of people who have video ipods is larger that our impressive viewership numbers…  There are so many different options for us, and we can’t figure them all out, but we do know that Fox is bigger than all you little hardware manufacturers, and anyway, they should come crawling to us.”

and

“‘24’ is a great show for all those various options, but again, my job is get the most money possible from our most valuable properity ‘24,’ and no one has offered me anything yet to be the first to carry 24 exclusivly, and to be honest a reasonable offer will have to be at least worth $500,000 per episode.”

Posted by TedTschopp on January 18, 2006 at 7:54 PM (CST)

Gee, that’s funny.  Didn’t iLounge recently run an article entitled, “iTunes boosts prime time ratings for NBC, ABC”.  I guess Fox missed that one.

Posted by The Raven on January 19, 2006 at 5:42 AM (CST)

I would think that Fox has enough nitch market shows that iTunes would present a great place for those shows to gain an audience.

“Bones” and “Arrested Development” could gain an audiance.

“American Idol” would be downloaded like crazy by teenage girls.

“Family Guy” and “The Simpsons” would be downloaded by computer nerds :) (Yes, that would include me and most the people that probably bother to post a comment.)

Point is, there is a market.  I can understand the strategic decision part, but this feels like a no-brainer.  Unless FOX feels like it’s going to create it’s own download service (bad idea), get on board before you’re left behind.

Posted by billy bob on January 19, 2006 at 8:38 AM (CST)

I was just laughing because he said ‘strategy’ twice in one sentence! Ha ha - limited vocabulary! Woo-hoo

Posted by Mondayne on January 19, 2006 at 11:54 AM (CST)

It’s all about the DVD.  In terms of exploring a new market selling TV seasons on DVD is the same as selling via download with the distinct advantage that a consumer who wants one episode has to buy the box set of the entire season.  A $50 sale as opposed to a $1.99.

Continuing to make a very simple example of it, the downside is that since the cost of entry for a box set is $50 you may be losing out on a lot of people who would’ve bought one or two episodes at $1.99 if you have no online offerings.

Simply put, FOX doesn’t know what scenario is going to be more profitable for them.  They will make their best guess, but in the meantime they say things that they believe will make them sound smart, but everyone at iLounge knows they missing the boat…:)

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on January 19, 2006 at 1:32 PM (CST)

I think in the case of O’Reilly, they should have to PAY iPod owners to watch it!

Posted by Dopial on January 19, 2006 at 1:54 PM (CST)

If Arrested Development was for sale on iTunes I’d easily buy all 3 seasons, even those I already own on DVD to show my support for the program.

At this point though I just hope that another network picks the show up because it is on its deathbed at Fox.  iTunes would have also helped prop the show up, but unfortunately the Fox execs aren’t thinking big.

Download BARTsmart BART Widget: BART train schedules and news straight to your Dashboard!
View my MacBook Pro Performance Analysis, comparing the new MacBooks to previous G4/G5 Macs.

Posted by craigtheguru on January 19, 2006 at 4:51 PM (CST)

Shows such as Arrested Development deserve a larger audience than what it’s receiving now which is why it’s gettin cancelled (what a shame) and something like iTunes can help promote it big time.

I really wish 24 would make it to iTunes; I’d be more than willing to buy each episode.

Posted by Dany on January 19, 2006 at 7:46 PM (CST)

CraigTheGuru-

I understand your sentiment toward ‘Arrested Development’ but I think it’s silly to buy the same show in multiple formats.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on January 19, 2006 at 9:06 PM (CST)

24 is my favorite show of all time and in my opinion, the best action/adventure show thats ever been on tv. Honestly, i dont know if i want it to be available on iTunes because i almost feel as if that would cheapen its effect. I could be wrong but thats just how i feel.

On the other hand, i do like that Lost and Battlestar are on there so i might feel the same about 24.

Posted by decodergrizzly on January 21, 2006 at 2:59 PM (CST)

You wonder who will make the first show - series - just for iTunes…will iTunes become a NEW network? the first real internet network. it could be a big hit if it was done right.

Posted by tribalsol on January 21, 2006 at 7:31 PM (CST)