Free ABC.com shows outperform iTunes downloads | iLounge News

Free ABC.com shows outperform iTunes downloads

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, June 20, 2006
News Categories: iTunes

ABC has announced that its prime-time shows were viewed more than 11 million times on its website during the network’s free online pilot program. In one month, the ad-supported ABC.com TV show trial outperformed the results ABC parent company Disney has seen in its nine-month agreement with Apple. Disney said that since last October, it has sold more than 6 million downloads of shows like Desperate Housewives and Lost on the iTunes Music Store. The company said the test program will end on June 30th and will be relaunched in the Fall.

« Pacific Design announces NanoGo case

Apple begins audit of iPod factory conditions »

Comments

Why wouldn’t it outperform iTunes?  It’s FREE.

Posted by Ian on June 20, 2006 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

I’d like to know how much money they’re making out of each one.

Posted by Adam on June 20, 2006 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

Thats true Ian, I agree with ya.

There is also a big difference between owning (iTunes) or just watching (abc).

Posted by unreal on June 20, 2006 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

I’ve done both and the biggest problem I have with ABC’s free version is the max size of the video feed.  It’s almost too small to watch.  Strange to say that considering it’s much bigger than what you get on the 5g ipod. Still, if i’m sitting infront of a 20” screen, i want to fill the screen up with the image.

Posted by Scott on June 20, 2006 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

That’s true, I find that once I watch a TV show once, I really don’t need to watch it again.  It is nice to have a collection. I only have high-speed at work so I end up buying them on iTunes.  It’s an amazing option if you missed the show at it’s normal time.

Posted by Ian on June 20, 2006 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

Geesh, I guss ABC/Disney had not heard about the whole Napster/RIAA saga.  Free rules.

I’d bet TV show torrents beat them both.  Free and HD definitely rules.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on June 20, 2006 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

yeah, they should ditch all the revenue from iTunes.

Posted by chew63 on June 20, 2006 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

Does it stream in a Flash-based ocntainer or let you actually DL it. If it streams only, then that would also explain the numbers as reviewings are surely counted, whereas iTunes are only counted one.

I’m suprised why this isn’t the norm right now. Streaming a decent sized episode + commercials would certainly bring a huge profit.

Posted by Chris on June 20, 2006 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

I am surprised it took networks this long to realize this and offer such a feature.  Especially when you look at how many people pirate TV shows everyday off of P2P networks.

Iggy smile

Posted by TheIguana in Calgary, Alberta, Prarires, Canada, North America, on June 20, 2006 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

duh…....its free,it better outperform itunes.who writes this stuff.

Posted by joner on June 20, 2006 at 11:39 AM (PDT)