Free demo of Vortex iPod game offered | iLounge News

Free demo of Vortex iPod game offered

image

Apple is now offering a free demo version of its Vortex iPod game on the iTunes Store. An updated variation of the classic Breakout game, the demo of Vortex (iLounge Rating: B+) contains two sample levels. “Vortex is an intense, futuristic 360ยบ brick-bashing arcade-style game,” says Apple. “Maneuver the bat around the edge of the Vortex to block the ball and keep it in play. Smash bonus bricks for power-ups. Destroy all of the bricks to enter the Vortex and advance to higher levels.” iPod games only play on fifth-generation iPods with iPod Software 1.2 or later.

« Colored shuffle gallery posted, in-store details added

Apple unveils iPod shuffle in four new colors (updated) »

Comments

That’s awfully nice of them, but I’m sure I would have paid good money for it a few months ago had they offered the games on the Nano.

Posted by MirandaKali on January 30, 2007 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

Donchathink the nano’s sceen is too small?  What resolution is it?  Surely it’s not 320 x 240, the resolution the games are written for.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on January 30, 2007 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

It appears the freebie is only available on the US store. I’m in Canada and the free demo is not offered.

Posted by jet_star on January 30, 2007 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

I’d really like to know why the iPod games aren’t available anywhere else other than the countries with music stores. Surely the games aren’t subject to music licensing restrictions?

Posted by ketsugi on January 30, 2007 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

Is it possible for me to download it to my iPod at work (which is not my primary computer for the iPod)?

Posted by Dave on January 30, 2007 at 9:44 AM (PDT)

Apple, always thinking of us up north… no movies, limited music videos, no free game preview

Posted by cjt on January 30, 2007 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

Screen too small for the Nano? Maybe it’s just me with my super-duper vision, but no, I don’t think the screen is too small for the current set of games. Sure, I would’nt want to play WoW on it for three hours, the same as I would’nt want to watch the director’s cut of LOTR, but twenty minutes of Vortex (or video of any kind for that matter) would be just fine.

Posted by Miranda Kali on January 30, 2007 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

Miranda,

The nano can’t play video because it doesn’t have the video decode chip in it that would make it possible to watch compressed videos, you’d have to watch uncompressed videos, which take up a lot more space, and would cut down drastically on the amount of music a nano could hold.

Posted by MatrixSJD on January 30, 2007 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

These freebies are always US only. THANKS A LOT APPLE.

- signed, the rest of the world

Posted by blah on January 30, 2007 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

I can’t seem to get the game to “purchase” (download).  Keeps giving me an iTunes store error.  Tried two diff machines now.  Anyone else have this issue?

Posted by EmptyG on January 30, 2007 at 2:10 PM (PDT)

Well now the error is “this item is not available for purchase in the U.S. store”.  WTF?  :(

Posted by EmptyG on January 30, 2007 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

Yup, I know it has’nt got the decode chip. I’m just say’n that I, for one, would mind using a screen that small for viewing game play or video (I know I probably only represent a small portion of people on that).
Of course, it’s a moot point as I’m sure the next update to the Nano will have a larger, touch screen (and a decode chip)....or so I wish.
Yeah, if wishes were fishes…I’ld…uh…have a whole lot of fish..

Posted by Miranda Kali on January 30, 2007 at 4:30 PM (PDT)

*would NOT mind, that is*....duh raspberry

Posted by Miranda Kali on January 30, 2007 at 4:35 PM (PDT)

OOOH! Thanks Apple. Now all you guys need to do is give me a worthwhile demo, like pacman or majhong. I guess I could just cough up the $10 though…

Posted by ddsd on January 30, 2007 at 10:18 PM (PDT)

Cool! Too bad I have to change the settings on Norton AGAIN because it decides it wants to block iTunes.

Posted by Chris on February 1, 2007 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

You purchased a nano knowing full well that it is not capable of video, and now you’re complaining that it can’t play video. “Why doesn’t Apple think of us with the Nanos?” Cough up a few extra bucks and buy an ipod that supports video. Would that be so hard?

Posted by Ben on February 1, 2007 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

I get error 5002. I am in Canada, too. I dl’ed it from Apple.com and iTMS gives me this error. I dunno, I guess cause I’m Canadian:(

Posted by Chris on February 3, 2007 at 12:31 AM (PDT)

is there any way to get the demo without having an apple id? if so, plz give link.
kthxbai

Posted by Mantelope on March 31, 2007 at 5:55 PM (PDT)