Free iPod personalization promo extended | iLounge News

Free iPod personalization promo extended

MacMinute is reporting that Apple has extened its iPod personalization promotion, which allows customers to get free custom laser engraving on any new iPod purchased between March 28 through June 26, 2004. The engraving normally costs US$19 extra.

« File sharing legal in Canada

Wall Street Journal seeks iPod party people »

Comments

Wow!!!

At no extra cost, we will dramatically reduce the resale value of your brand new iPod!

What a Bargain!

Posted by steve on March 31, 2004 at 1:53 PM (CST)

It’s a nice deal, but it adds on to the wait time for the consumers.  I think those that ordered them with custom laser engraving have regretted it now with the long wait!

Posted by Asian_N02 on March 31, 2004 at 2:22 PM (CST)

that’s probably why they extended it =p

Posted by haroldo on March 31, 2004 at 3:05 PM (CST)

People do want this, and do pay for it, so offering it free as an OPTION is a good thing. Not everyone intends to re-sell their iPod, and not everyone minds that it takes longer to get the engraving done. Some want their iPod personalized, or are giving it as a gift/prize, or would use engraving as an anti-loss/anti-theft method.

You may not want this. Others do. So what’s the harm in this promo?

Posted by Nagromme on March 31, 2004 at 4:16 PM (CST)

It doesn’t take that much longer, if any.  I ordered my 3G iPod on Super Bowl Sunday(10% off that weekend), I opted for the engraving, it still shipped that Monday from Shang-hi China and arrived to my house in Kansas that Wednesday… not too lng at all.  I was amazed at how fast it was.  As for resale value… come on resale… this thing isn’t going anywhere… it’s like selling my child, dog, or boat… not in this lifetime… might buy another but will never sell this one.

Posted by jkcoon on March 31, 2004 at 4:45 PM (CST)

———-
“it’s like selling my child”
——— jkcoon

that’s classic.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on March 31, 2004 at 5:03 PM (CST)

totally unless some one is willing to pay more the the purchase price its not leaving my hands and for shipping only three days with personalization so its not an issue

if you think about it they are all personalized witha certain serial number on the back….i dont know for sure but id assume in china when they engrave the apple logo/serial number/personalization its all at the same time

Posted by rivlinm on March 31, 2004 at 5:19 PM (CST)

I got a kick out of it coming from Shanghi… in fact, I did a dance.

I like the engraving… because I can tell mine apart from my friend’s without waking it up (assuming it’s not in it’s case… AND, if some brat claims it’s his….  it’s got a semi-permenent way to prove ownership.

I think I may go to an engraver and ask if they can add a couple lines… think this would hurt the HD?

Posted by esra in PA on March 31, 2004 at 6:50 PM (CST)

“I can confirm that if anyone did ever have to pay $19 for engraving of about 30 characters, they would be being overcharged by well over 100%.”

So Apple pays eight bucks (and even that sounds really high - I’d say it costs them nothing or close to it) and they’re guaranteed not to take the iPod back for any other reason except it doesn’t work! Pretty sweet deal for them, I’d say.

Posted by bipto in Minneapolis, MN on April 1, 2004 at 7:40 AM (CST)

im sexy

Posted by Penis on August 20, 2006 at 9:31 PM (CDT)